Football
Sponsored by

SI - Sam Ehlinger Was Born to Lead Texas's Return to Prominence

2,916 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
Longstreet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/08/14/texas-longhorns-sam-ehlinger-big-12

I hope we beat their ass!
303Bear
----> Insert Tommy Lee Jones Pic Here <-----

Sadly, UT will probably be pretty good this year, but let's maybe hold off with the hyperbole until the season actually starts.
Thee University
Same thing every year.

The most underachieving NCAA program in history.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
TheAgentGrant
Agreed and dirty. Always has been.
AgentGrant
TheAgentGrant
He loses a crucial game they will boo him out of the stadium. Ask Peter Gardere after beating OU 4 times
AgentGrant
dave714
Good luck with that.
hodedofome
They finally have a QB, which they haven't had in almost a decade. It's what they've been missing, so yeah they should be good.
drahthaar
"Born to lead...?"
Charlie might lay more claim to that shallow moniker.
TheAgentGrant
Charlie is by far the best QB in or from Austin at this point.
AgentGrant
Grizz Air
TheAgentGrant said:

I dunno, my nine year olds pretty good!

I got this issue of Sports Illustrated in the mail today and immediately threw it in the garbage.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
contrario
TheAgentGrant said:

Better than Drew Brees?
Mitch Henessey
Soon the UT hype articles will stack so high, they'll blot out the sun. Nothing gets CFB writers to cream their shorts faster than the idea of a decent Texas squad.

Here's to them underachieving for the 10th year in a row.
historian
If they manage to beat LSU (possible) I wonder if Joe Tessitore will proclaim that, "Texas is back folks!" Last time he did that he regretted it by the end of the season.

Just beat them into the turf. I would be very pleased if our D had a few sacks & INT's in that game.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Dia del DougO
It's Texas, so it has become an annual tradition to recognize their imminent return to the top.

However, in all fairness, Elinger is off to a decent start. They have been trending upwards, no doubt.

That can change, and hopefully, Baylor can do something about that.

I prefer to let things play out. Put it on paper.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Space Cutter
Sam May be their leader but once he keeps running and gets hurt, that's when ut will go flat. Without Sam ut is only slightly better than an average team with a jerk coach.
Mr Tulip
Dia del DougO said:

It's Texas, so it has become an annual tradition to recognize their imminent return to the top.

However, in all fairness, Elinger is off to a decent start. They have been trending upwards, no doubt.

Texas and Baylor share a common theme on offense. They both have tremendous talent at the "skill" (the word is antiquated, but still shorthand) positions, but will only go as far as the OL can take them.
TheAgentGrant
I stand corrected sir. I was simply comparing the two college players. I should have said otherwise. Thank you for pointing that out.
AgentGrant
S11
Staff
Mr Tulip said:

Dia del DougO said:

Texas and Baylor share a common theme on offense. They both have tremendous talent at the "skill" (the word is antiquated, but still shorthand) positions, but will only go as far as the OL can take them.

Since late 2016 the offenses have been on roughly the same track both with scheme and personnel.
BUbearinARK
Space Cutter said:

Sam May be their leader but once he keeps running and gets hurt, that's when ut will go flat. Without Sam ut is only slightly better than an average team with a jerk coach.
let me kiss it better...

Banned BarleyMcDougal
Oh gee wow...a UT grad writing about UT's prominence. Never seen that before.

Guys, if you don't understand that the media is now 100% catering to state schools and t-shirt fans, you never will. It's a failing industry that can only be propped up by appealing to the biggest volume of readers/viewers.

My advice is don't read the articles, don't buy the magazines and don't click on the headlines. And certainly don't post them here.
OsoCoreyell
Let's hope the SI curse is still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Illustrated_cover_jinx
S11
Staff
OsoCoreyell said:

Let's hope the SI curse is still alive.

Only after noncon. We need a strong Big 12 tonhelp with realignment. Take LSU down and then make those losses in league play mean more. Perception matters
Mitch Henessey
Nah. **** 'em.
S11
Staff
Mitch Henessey said:

Nah. **** 'em.

I care more about BU thriving than others failing.

League perception will have some impact on realignment. If big time programs struggle to qualify for the playoff and recruit it harms our chances long term.
Mitch Henessey
S11 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Nah. **** 'em.

League perception will have some impact on realignment. If big time programs struggle to qualify for the playoff and recruit it harms our chances long term.
That's fine. I believe we can thrive whilst UT simultaneously falls on their pompous faces. I won't root for them in a football game, ever, unless they're playing aggy. Others are free to spread their sporting good vibes where they please.
Sailor Bear
Mitch Henessey said:

Here's to them underachieving for the 10th year in a row.
They won the Sugar Bowl last year.
S11
Staff
Mitch Henessey said:

S11 said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Nah. **** 'em.

That's fine. I believe we can thrive whilst UT simultaneously falls on their pompous faces. I won't root for them in a football game, ever, unless they're playing aggy. Others are free to spread their sporting good vibes where they please.

Hope they struggle in league play after starting off 3-0

Best outcome for our program
Thee University
I hope they are undefeated when they roll into Waco on 11/23.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
TheAgentGrant
Agreed, then we punch them in the mouth and take that hype out of them.
AgentGrant
OsoCoreyell
Here are the rooting rules:

Always root for:
1) Bears v. anyone else
2) Any other team whose wins help Bears look better.

Corollaries to #2:
a) Always root for BU in-season opponents to win (unless any Exceptions below apply).
b) Always root for Big XII teams to beat non-Big XII teams

Exceptions to Corollaries:
x) Always root against TCU (no matter what) - TCU tears are too delicious to ever pass up
y) Generally root against Texas unless a Texas win is exceptionally helpful to the Bears.
z) Generally root against OU unless an OU win is exceptionally helpful to the Bears.

On that basis, I hope they go 0-fer.
historian
My favorite example of the SI curse, was my 2012 birthday when Baylor knocked off #1 K State. It would be wonderful if we did the same thing to Texas this November with everyone harping about "Texas is back". If by some miracle, we are also undefeated by then (meaning OU is having another bad year) then it would be doubly sweet.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.