Football
Sponsored by

How many wins for BU football?

7,765 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BU82EX
Eball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Based on last year and the progress being made under CMR...along with the schedule this year which is ridiculously great for us...absolute minimum of 6 wins...very possible 9 wins...with a just a few breaks and staying away from injuries we could win 10...

Am I wrong?
Dman
Eball said:

Based on last year and the progress being made under CMR...along with the schedule this year which is ridiculously great for us...absolute minimum of 6 wins...very possible 9 wins...with a just a few breaks and staying away from injuries we could win 10...

Am I wrong?

It's your opinion and covers the spread. So no, I wouldn't say you were wrong.

I'd be disappointed/step back with 6. I'd be THRILLED with 10. Rhule can make a big statement this year. I'm hoping he does.
Shippou
I'm thinking minimum of 7, sweet spot will be 9. Not getting ahead of myself and counting a bowl win, I'd be very disappointed if we don't progress, and win six or less(not very likely imo), and I think to get more than nine wins we'd need our fair share of luck.

So I'm looking forward to nine, and that's what I think will happen, anymore than that during the regular season I'll be ecstatic, 7 or less will have me at varying levels of "*** happened".
DanaDane
10 regular season wins + a bowl win = 11
MrGolfguy
Eball said:

Am I wrong?
If all the key players stay healthy all year, which is a big if. Charlie goes down and they'll be fighting for 6.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Johnny Bear
Barring a bad injury year, anything less than 8 wins is underachievement, especially given the aggy like favorable schedule (i.e. 7 home games and 3 weakling non-con opponents). Hope we can keep Brewer injury free (or at least free of a serious injury) as we've had a lot of rotten luck with having a starting QB not miss time over the last several years.
Jacques Strap
Aug. 31 Stephen F. Austin WACO
Sept. 7 UTSA WACO
Sept. 21 at Rice Houston, Texas
Sept. 28 Iowa State WACO
Oct. 5 at K-State Manhattan, Kan.
Oct. 12 Texas Tech WACO
Oct. 19 at Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla.
Oct. 31 West Virginia WACO
Nov. 9 at TCU Fort Worth, Texas
Nov. 16 Oklahoma WACO
Nov. 23 Texas WACO
Nov. 30 at Kansas Lawrence, Kan.

I hope we can win on the road in conference this year. If we do win away games and hold serve at home it will be a great year.
If we can't win on the road and fall at home it's going to be a long year. @KSU @ OSU @TCU are tough places to win.
xiledinok
9-10 wins.
A showing on defense puts the Bears near the top of the league.
BUBBFAN
Buforlife
UTSA, SFA, Rice Kansas should be garanteed wins. Kansas state with a new coach should be clear win. Texas tech and West Virginia with new coaches should be clear wins. Isu we have at home and if we are good we should beat them. We have one of the easiest schedules in the nation. Eight wins minimum
Sailor Bear
Gimmies:
SFA
UTSA
Rice
KU

Should wins:
KSU
TTU
WVU

Toss-Ups:
ISU
OSU
TCU

It could happen
Texas
OU

We should be good enough to go 4-0 against the "Gimmies", 2-1 against the "Should wins" and 1-2 against the "Toss-Ups". I see a minimum of 7 wins, but will be disappointed if that's all we accomplish.

If we go undefeated vs. the "should wins" and take 2 of 3 "toss-ups" - boom. 9 wins.

That is what I think happens. We take care of business against the "gimmies" and the "should wins" We lose to either OSU or TCU on the road (but not both), and beat ISU at home.

As it happens, that puts us at 8-1 heading into the OU game, my friends...
chukronos
I'm thinking 9 wins.
FormerFlash
3 non-con
9 conference
+ conference championship
2 wins in the playoff
=
15-0 and a natty.

Rhule shows he knew exactly what he was doing all along and makes anyone who didn't trust the process look like a fool.
historian
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BUbearinARK
Eball said:

very possible 9 wins...with a just a few breaks and staying away from injuries we could win 10...
You are right!
BaylorLit 01
I say 7 wins. We'll miss Mr. do-it-all Jalen Hurd and Bj Thompson. Can Mims step up and be the man without Hurd drawing attention? Platt is just a fast guy trying to play football. Can the offensive line improve despite being mostly the same people?
BearlyBeloved
It's no fun to make a prediction that would leave me unhappy, so I'll say 10 wins regular and a win in a respectable bowl.

Maybe winning the Liberty Bowl against SEC, SEC!
Or Orlando for the once-it-was-Citrus-but-now-it's-the-Camping-World-Bowl against ACC.

Ludwig von Missi
BaylorLit 01 said:

I say 7 wins. We'll miss Mr. do-it-all Jalen Hurd and Bj Thompson. Can Mims step up and be the man without Hurd drawing attention? Platt is just a fast guy trying to play football. Can the offensive line improve despite being mostly the same people?
Platt had 400 yards and 5 TDs in 4 games before blowing out his knee in 2017. Monster numbers. Not sure what to expect from him going forward, but I'd be more inclined to blame his 2018 struggles on recovering from a knee injury and his strength (going deep) overlapping with Charlie's weakness (throwing the deep ball) than some lazy fast guy trying to play football label.
BaylorLit 01
Crash Davis said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

Platt had 400 yards and 5 TDs in 4 games before blowing out his knee in 2017. Monster numbers. Not sure what to expect from him going forward, but I'd be more inclined to blame his 2018 struggles on recovering from a knee injury and his strength (going deep) overlapping with Charlie's weakness (throwing the deep ball) than some lazy fast guy trying to play football label.

225 yards and 3 td's came on 3 long passes. You have to be able to run more than a fly route.
Edmund Bearke
7-5.

Weak teams are hard to beat on the road and good teams are hard to beat anywhere.
BaylorBJM
BaylorLit 01 said:

Crash Davis said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

225 yards and 3 td's came on 3 long passes. You have to be able to run more than a fly route.

Lulz, what? You're discounting 60% of Platt's yardage because they came on big plays?

That's what deep threat WRs do.
historian
Two TD's from the same game, the best regular season game of 2016:

BaylorLit 01
BaylorBJM said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

Crash Davis said:

BaylorLit 01 said:

Lulz, what? You're discounting 60% of Platt's yardage because they came on big plays?

That's what deep threat WRs do.

That's fair. I hope he has a good season. His hands were shaky last year but maybe the injuries played a part. I'm excited to see Ty this year. Mims has all the tools; just needs to play with more of that Corey Coleman tenacity.
applemacg4
Edmund Bearke said:

7-5.

Weak teams are hard to beat on the road and good teams are hard to beat anywhere.

Probably a good estimate if they take care of business.

OU, UT, @OSU, ISU = Losses.

Non-Con = Wins.

K State, WVU, TTU, Kansas = Toss Ups.

@ Kansas in November could be a sneaky game depending on weather, injuries, and a new coaching staff up there.

6-6, 7-5, with 8-4 as a ceiling.
historian
I think 9 or 10 wins is very possible. Maybe not very likely, but definitely possible--especially with this schedule.
Tylerbear
9 wins including the bowl game is my expectation this year
8 wins including bowl game would be below my expectation
10 wins including bowl game would be above my expectation

Bear8084
Disappointing low of 6 with a high of 9. I think Baylor is favored in early lines except for OU and UT. This team is good enough I think for 9 with a bowl win to make it 10. Just have to execute. Sic 'Em.
Aberzombie1892
FPI and S&P say between 7-8 - assuming no meaningful injuries - which seems about right. The big issue for Baylor is that any of TCU, Oklahoma State, ISU, Texas, and Texas Tech could have nice seasons, and, because that is the case, it's hard to simply assume that Baylor would have a winning record against that group. If Baylor loses to Oklahoma and 3 from that group, it's at 8-4.
Hob Howelll
I'd feel better if we had more depth on the defensive line. I'll say 8-4 barring injuries.
Redbrickbear
8 regular season wins.

9 if we take care of our bowl opponent.
BaylorOkie
Bear8084 said:

Disappointing low of 6 with a high of 9. I think Baylor is favored in early lines except for OU and UT. This team is good enough I think for 9 with a bowl win to make it 10. Just have to execute. Sic 'Em.
I'm thinking earlier this summer I read that at that time we were favored in 9 games. Maybe also dogs at OSU?
Bear8084
BaylorOkie said:

Bear8084 said:

I'm thinking earlier this summer I read that at that time we were favored in 9 games. Maybe also dogs at OSU?

I believe so. Judging by our history at Stillwater, I would put us as dogs there too.
hodedofome
We play UT close most years so that one is possible. I just don't see how we beat OU however. They score too many points and Rhule is not comfortable in a shootout.
Bear8084
hodedofome said:

We play UT close most years so that one is possible. I just don't see how we beat OU however. They score too many points and Rhule is not comfortable in a shootout.

Matching the firepower and scoring of OU is hard for any team, but Rhule and Co. seemed alright against KSU, Okie State, Texas Tech, and Vanderbilt and the shoot-outs those games were.
historian
Bear8084 said:

hodedofome said:

Matching the firepower and scoring of OU is hard for any team, but Rhule and Co. seemed alright against KSU, Okie State, Texas Tech, and Vanderbilt and the shoot-outs those games were.

True. But some of those should not have been shootouts. That's one of the reasons for possible doubts about 2019. I still think we can get 9 wins, maybe more. Cautious optimism.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.