Football
Sponsored by

Patterson True Colors Come Through Again

11,417 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MilliVanilli
Oldgrizzly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the press conference after the loss from SMU, Patterson turns the mike over to his co-offensive coordinator, Sonny Cumbie to field questions about quarterback performance. He always has to find a way to put the blame on someone else when faced with hard questions. My question is why would anyone want to work for him?
Redbrickbear
That is his standard operating procedure.

PartyBear
It may be that he really does not focus much on offense personally and is hands off on that and Cumbie is the expert on the staff.
contrario
It would have been like Briles talking about the defense. I don't see the big issue here. Stop obsessing with TCU. They are irrelevant.
KyleKing
Don't forget the 'stealing my signals' defense too!

Thee University
Oldgrizzly said:

In the press conference after the loss from SMU, Patterson turns the mike over to his co-offensive coordinator, Sonny Cumbie to field questions about quarterback performance. He always has to find a way to put the blame on someone else when faced with hard questions. My question is why would anyone want to work for him?
I'll tell you why

167-63 = .726

13-0 and Rose Bowl Champs
12 wins twice
11 wins seven times
10 wins twice

He has done all of this with less resources and support than Baylor gives their head coaches.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
historian
I wonder how many cupcakes TCU played in those 10 win & 11 win seasons. I really don't know but I do know that too many people hold Baylor to a different ooc standard than everyone else. And this is why we should ignore those people.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
EvilTroyAndAbed
Thee University said:

Oldgrizzly said:

I'll tell you why

167-63 = .726

12 wins twice
11 wins seven times
10 wins twice

He has done all of this with less resources and support than Baylor gives their head coaches.
8 of those double digit win years came in MWC and Conference USA. A blind dog with Texas high school recruits can get 7 wins there. Look at Houston over the past few years with a revolving door of coaches.

Patterson is a really good coach. He's also a thin-skinned whiny brat who will throw anyone else under the bus before taking responsibility for a team's performance.
Jorkel
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Thee University said:

Oldgrizzly said:

I'll tell you why

167-63 = .726

12 wins twice
11 wins seven times
10 wins twice

8 of those double digit win years came in MWC and Conference USA. A blind dog with Texas high school recruits can get 7 wins there. Look at Houston over the past few years with a revolving door of coaches.

Patterson is a really good coach. He's also a thin-skinned whiny brat who will throw anyone else under the bus before taking responsibility for a team's performance.

They also weren't scared to play anyone in out of conference and won a lot of games against the big boys.
fadskier
Jorkel said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Thee University said:

Oldgrizzly said:

I'll tell you why

167-63 = .726

12 wins twice
11 wins seven times
10 wins twice

They also weren't scared to play anyone in out of conference and won a lot of games against the big boys.
Playing two or three tough games a year is nothing compared to playing 8 or 9.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
ScottS
He seems like an ahole
MrGolfguy
ScottS said:

He seems like an ahole
Seems?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BoonDockSaint
Uhh. I don't really see the problem per se

I dont like fatterson as much as the next guy but he is a fabulous coach and is supremely loyal to TCWho

Any school would be lucky to have him

Warts and his pecadillos
oldbear69
Jorkel said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Thee University said:

Oldgrizzly said:

I'll tell you why

167-63 = .726

12 wins twice
11 wins seven times
10 wins twice

easy to get up for 1 big game a year when you're playin wac....conf usa and mountain west schedule,,,,,need to schedule someone to make a paycheck ...how bout that lofty 36-27 vs big 12 schools...
oldbear69
Thee University said:

Oldgrizzly said:

I'll tell you why

167-63 = .726

12 wins twice
11 wins seven times
10 wins twice

thee u still pimpin for fat boy?? 36-27 vs big 12 schools...he aint in the wac,or mountain west or conf usa anymore,,,,,cant pad his schedule with conference patsies anymore and then play 1 decent team a year,,,,,
Dia del DougO
I prefer to read TCU talk when we've stomped a mudhole in their ass. And we're several games behind in that column.

Put it on paper.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Thee University
oldbear69 said:

Thee University said:

Oldgrizzly said:

I'll tell you why

167-63 = .726

12 wins twice
11 wins seven times
10 wins twice

thee u still pimpin for fat boy?? 36-27 vs big 12 schools...he aint in the wac,or mountain west or conf usa anymore,,,,,cant pad his schedule with conference patsies anymore and then play 1 decent team a year,,,,,
Baylor tried to hire Patterson way before Briles and he turned us down.

It did not matter the conference he had to play in. While in the inferior conferences he finished a number of seasons ranked nationally #3 twice, #11, #13, #14, #16. He won the Rose Bowl and beat us like a drum a few times during those years.

He was not afraid to play anybody anywhere. He played Nebraska, beat Tulane, Vandy, Arizona, Baylor 4 times, Clemson, Virginia, Utah, BYU, Stanford, Texas Tech, Oklahoma when he was in that horrible conference. Their first year in the Big 12 they beat Baylor and Texas.

He went 119-31 prior to Big 12. In the Big 12 he put together back-to-back 12 win seasons.

No matter the conference............at the end of the season his standings in national polls eclipsed that of Briles.

Putting 62 on us when we could only score 22 at our stadium was impressive. We were #13 at the time.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
ScottS said:

He seems like an ahole
He was nearly ours at one time. We would have loved him too had he taken us to the Rose Bowl and won it.
ilbb990912
Thee University said:

ScottS said:

He seems like an ahole
He was nearly ours at one time. We would have loved him too had he taken us to the Rose Bowl and won it.

a pair of these should make things easier sir
historian
Gary Petterson's best games, in abbreviated format:

(I did like what they did to Ole Miss in the bowl game a few years ago).

Here's another great one:

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CNC
Thee University said:

ScottS said:

He seems like an ahole
Patterson lost to SMU in 2019 and Kansas in 2018.

He is a good coach, but maybe a little over-hyped. Or maybe he has plateau?

Without looking what was Briles most embarrassing loss and why?
Booray
CNC said:

Thee University said:

ScottS said:

He seems like an ahole

at Baylor it might have been the loss to TCU here in the Nick Florence year or the loss to them at their place (not the rainstorm game). We were not competitive in either game and the talent disparity was not huge.

Of course Briles best win was 61-58, so it evens out.

The bowl loss to Illinois was pretty bad also.
oldbear69
CNC said:

Thee University said:

ScottS said:

He seems like an ahole

Well it wasn't Liberty..
MilliVanilli
oldbear69 said:

CNC said:

Thee University said:

ScottS said:

He seems like an ahole

Well it wasn't Liberty..
That's the epitaph of every Caber.

We can practically hear you touching yourself with ecstasy as you say it with gritted teeth to your own reflection.
CNC
Typical Milli. Group of men talking football and he envisions men touching themselves.

Yet he's the enlightened one.
241Bear
Here's Mac Engel's take on the situation:

After TCU's loss to SMU, Patterson's actions blame his offensive coordinator
By Mac Engel

FORT WORTH
At some point in the next 48 hours, the tire tracks on Sonny Cumbie's back should fade.
Right now, however, the offensive coordinator for TCU has a fresh set of tire prints across his back, face, legs, hands and toes, too.

For the first time in recent memory, the Battle of the Iron Skillet was more entertaining, and useful, than frying an egg in a pan, as SMU upset No. 25 TCU, 41-38 in Fort Worth.

After the game, TCU head coach Gary Patterson essentially put his co-offensive coordinator in a hot skillet of his own when he made Cumbie available to talk to the media.

When Cumbie was made aware of this "request," he should have updated his LinkedIn profile. Maybe call his agent, both professional and real estate.

Patterson might as well have painted an ESPN College Game Day style sign that read, "It's his fault." If a coach is going to make this sort of gesture, he should just fire him.

Patterson explained his decision to let Cumbie chat with us media scum because he knew reporters "were going to ask quarterback questions," and he wanted "somebody that could actually answer them," he said.

This is both helpful, and quite convenient.
This never happens. Never as in never.

One of the most successful college football coaches in the last 20 years apparently needs helps to answer a few dumb questions about his own quarterback. It happened only immediately following a loss where for the third straight game his quarterbacks were not great.

Gary has forgotten more about football than most people will ever know, but he can't answer for his own quarterback?

That's a tough break.

This is a few weeks after Patterson said he wanted to be more involved in the offense this season because, ultimately, it's on him.

In all of the years Andy Dalton won games, or Trevone Boykin made plays, their respective offensive coordinators were never asked by Patterson to explain the quarterback position to the media. Patterson could handle those challenging questions then.

But when true freshman Max Duggan plays like a true freshman, and the offense is an erratic mess of fumbles and poor execution, then Patterson needs someone to answer questions about the quarterback.

Like virtually every other coach, Patterson never makes his coordinators available to talk to the media, unless it's immediately before the start of the season, or during a bowl week. This is part of "One Voice" mantra that college coaches routinely use because no one in their sphere dare challenge him as to the time of day, let alone a decision of any significance.

There is, however, a flaw to "One Voice" it's all about that one voice. Until it's not. Then, when it's not, it sure can smell a lot like blame.

Because that's what this is.

So if we are to blame the play calling and the offense against SMU on Cumbie, Patterson should be commended for the shutout his defense threw against SMU.

(BTW: Cumbie is technically a co-offensive coordinator with Curtis Luper in name only; Cumbie is the OC).

The vaunted TCU defense held SMU to just 41 points, more than 400 yards, and sacked Mustangs quarterback Shane Buechele one time.

There was no reason to send Cumbie out there, other than to assign blame. At this point in his life, and career, Gary Patterson does not need anyone to blame.

His team lost because SMU has the quarterback TCU needs. And TCU could have had Shane Buechele.
TCU offered Buechele a scholarship coming out of high school, but he opted for Texas. When Buechele opted to transfer from Texas after last season, TCU didn't call.

"They never came to me," Buechele said.

That's gonna leave a mark.

TCU opted for Kansas State graduate transfer Alex Delton as its quarterback candidate. Delton was on the bench for all but one play Saturday.

The head coach and his offensive coordinator don't see eye to eye on this issue; Gary is always going to want the guy with the experience who won't screw up (Delton). The offensive coordinator always wants the guy who can throw it and has more talent (Duggan).

TCU may eventually have a winner in Duggan, but Buechele outplayed him. The difference in quarterbacks was the difference in the game.

Duggan was horrible in the first half, and decent in the second. Buechele was good throughout.

Duggan was not helped by some bewildering play calls. TCU has one of the best weapons in the Big 12 in receiver Jalen Reagor, who touched the ball all of three times Saturday.

TCU had its chances, and when it watches the film, every coach and player will kick himself for blowing this game.

Meanwhile, SMU is 4-0. There is a good chance that SMU will take TCU's spot in the next AP Top 25 poll. The last time SMU was 4-0, its boosters were makin' it rain on high school seniors and Pony players.

The Ponies are 4-0 for the first time in 35 years, and it is because Shane Buechele is in Dallas rather than Fort Worth.

"It's a simple thing. We got outplayed," Patterson said, "we got outcoached."

That's why TCU is 2-1, will no longer be in the Top 25, and, for some odd reason, the head coach felt he needed an additional voice to explain that.

Sonny Cumbie, might want to update your resume.
4yrletterbear
I have Milli on permanent ignore and it has made my time spent on Sic'em 365 so much more enjoyable.
Media Bear
KyleKing said:

Nothing wrong with stealing signals -- so long as they're within plain sight and you haven't swiped them via illegal means/technology. If you're savvy enough to decipher them and use them to your team's advantage, more power to you.
MilliVanilli
4yrletterbear said:

I have Milli on permanent ignore and it has made my time spent on Sic'em 365 so much more enjoyable.
You clearly aren't ignoring a damn thing, why does every Caber think they have to stop and tell us what you swear you're ignoring as if we care?

Must've been your sock that got its feelings hurt and prompted you to tell us about what you supposedly can't see.

DanaDane
Sonny's gonna have a lot more tire tracks before the year is over. As I said in the summer, you don't win in the Big 12 with a bad QB and TCU has a s uck job in Delton and a kid who can't throw the ball 10 yards without it bouncing in Duggan.
Redbrickbear
4yrletterbear said:

^^^ this

Now if people would just stop replying to his troll jobs with his quotes in their post.....that would be like a glass of refreshing cool Colorado mountain water on a hot Texas summer day.
MilliVanilli
Redbrickbear said:

4yrletterbear said:

^^^ this

Now if people would just stop replying to his troll jobs with his quotes in their post.....that would be like a glass of refreshing cool Colorado mountain water on a hot Texas summer day.
I see Caber group therapy is in session to talk about what they swear they aren't paying attention to.
CNC
MilliVanilli said:

CNC said:

Typical Milli. Group of men talking football and he envisions men touching themselves.

High praise coming from a rape apologist that looks like a pedophile sitting in high school stands to watch a bunch of adolescent boys with no relation to them.
So you've gone from men touching themselves to men touching boys.

You're a class act. Nothing weird about you at all.

Do you do children birthdays?
CNC
Media Bear said:

KyleKing said:

Nothing wrong with stealing signals -- so long as they're within plain sight and you haven't swiped them via illegal means/technology. If you're savvy enough to decipher them and use them to your team's advantage, more power to you.
I was at the TCU v. SMU game this past weekend. I sat behind TCU's bench. Considering how hot it was and SMU's sideline faces the sun, I'd be very impressed if SMU could steal signs in that mess. Then again, Gary uses that excuse at least once a year.

Other observations:
* Surprised SMU was able to move the ball so efficiently vs TCU; really first decent offense they've seen this year
* SMU has upgraded their talent; was told they took a ton of transfers last year
* TCU QB problem will cost them games.
* All around sloppy game by TCU. Out played and out coached.
* Really like Reagor and those 2 RB's. Again QB play will hurt.
* There was glitter on the field for most of game. Still have no idea where it came from

MilliVanilli
CNC said:

MilliVanilli said:

CNC said:

High praise coming from a rape apologist that looks like a pedophile sitting in high school stands to watch a bunch of adolescent boys with no relation to them.
So you've gone from men touching themselves to men touching boys.

You're a class act. Nothing weird about you at all.

Do you do children birthdays?
You're the one obsessed with teenage boys in Mount Vernon that aren't your own kids.

Be self aware of the optics you create for yourself.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.