Football
Sponsored by

UMHB announces after investigation into NCAA Violations, the NCAA Committee

6,062 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thee University
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
fadskier
"The case involved the provision of local transportation by coaching staff and centered around the loan of Fredenburg's 2006 Subaru to one student-athlete prior to and during the 2016 season and again during the 2017 season. These actions violated NCAA rules, including impermissible benefits, and head coach responsibility.

"Mary Hardin-Baylor also self-reported a violation involving Fredenburg's loan of the same car to another student-athlete for less than one hour before it broke down and had to be towed."

Seriously, this is stupid. I understand that this is a rule but aren't there some kind of exceptions?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
CorsicanaBear
So at some points in 2016 and 2017, Coach Fredenburg loaned a player his 2006 Subaru (a *****in' ride that) and UMHB has to vacate games. And the NCAA wonders why they are hated.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BluesBear
This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure those players made their decision to attend UMHB based on driving a 2006 **** car. Really.

I was completely against the CA law on fair pay etc. Now I am in full support - anything that brings down the NCAA.

What a joke.

UMHB should follow St Thomas (who is being kicked out of their conference for being too competitive) and go D1.
jdrs
Why has the world lost its common sense and reasonableness?
PartyBear
It is ridiculous but it is also pretty dumb for Fredenberg to have done.
Osodecentx
Remember when some school was penalized for paying for transportation of a player to his mother's funeral?
Players posed for calendar for charity (player received nothing) & school was penalized?

NCAA is silly
Yogi
Meanwhile in Chapel Hill, North Carolina...

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
What it comes down to is this:

UMHB's football program does not bring in enough money to the NCAA for the NCAA to care...
Malbec
PartyBear said:

It is ridiculous but it is also pretty dumb for Fredenberg to have done.
It's beyond ridiculous. This is non-scholarship football. Make them play on the road for two playoff games that they would otherwise be hosting. Seed them 9th instead of 1st. Let their first four opponents pick one player from the team to be suspended for that game. Suspend the head coach for a few games. Give them a reasonable punishment.
Stefano DiMera
That was the exact violation in our first basketball scandal. Jim Haller paid for John Wheeler to go back home for a funeral.
whitetrash
Yogi said:

UMHB's downfall was that they didn't claim that any student on campus could have borrowed a car if they had just asked to do so, and therefore wasn't a special benefit for athletes.
SMack
I wonder if he still has the car, and how much he wants for it.
Malbec
Stefano DiMera said:

That was the exact violation in our first basketball scandal. Jim Haller paid for John Wheeler to go back home for a funeral.
Haller gave Wheeler $172 in meal money, ostensibly to be used for Wheeler's car payment. Wheeler had actually quit the team in early December, so he was not entitled to the meal money, which was for players to cover the Christmas holiday, during which time the dorms and cafeterias were closed. He shouldn't have done it, but Wheeler was only technically a player because the term hadn't ended and he was not officially withdrawn from school. He was really an ex-player who was never going to practice or play again.
Yogi
whitetrash said:

Yogi said:

UMHB's downfall was that they didn't claim that any student on campus could have borrowed a car if they had just asked to do so, and therefore wasn't a special benefit for athletes.
Underrated post.
whitetrash
Stefano DiMera said:

I thought it was Darryl Middleton who lost his mom, and somebody (C. Pack?) bought him a plane ticket home to NYC to the funeral.

I also seem to recall that we played a game somewhere right before the christmas break, and we dropped players off at the closest major airport to fly home for christmas, instead of busing them back to Waco and making them find their own travel arrangements back to DFW.
Yogi
You know what this means, though?

If the NCAA did THAT to Baby Baylor, we are absolutely ****ed!!!!

My guess is that TCU will be the "one true champion" of the 2014 football season once The Association gets done with us!

Timbear
If anyone can stave off NCAA penalties, it's Rhule. He has done a truly masterful job in repairing Baylor's reputation.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Stefano DiMera said:

I remember Big Bird! The dude was 7' and something like 150 lbs.

Looking back, I would bet Wheeler had Marfan's Syndrome, the same disease Isaiah Austin was diagnosed with.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
whitetrash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

I remember Big Bird! The dude was 7' and something like 150 lbs.

Looking back, I would bet Wheeler had Marfan's Syndrome, the same disease Isaiah Austin was diagnosed with.
He did. Ultimately killed him. https://books.google.com/books?id=vrkDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=john+wheeler+baylor&source=bl&ots=bcLsb6Pjng&sig=ACfU3U31jbVUAB4tXQuSHvHBW8HP_XXt2g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixhtmcrpLlAhV_HTQIHXLiALcQ6AEwBnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=john%20wheeler%20baylor&f=false
Porteroso
Timbear said:

If anyone can stave off NCAA penalties, it's Rhule. He has done a truly masterful job in repairing Baylor's reputation.
NCAA does not care one bit for Rhule, and won't be asking him what he thinks of their proposed sanctions, before they make them official.

This is such a joke. The NCAA deserves all the hell it's going to get in California, and eventually in the whole country.

College football is a massive industry, and the only people not allowed to profit from it, are the only people actually out there, working had, delivering a product to the American people. And this isn't even profit, this is a college student being told that it's more important for the NCAA to safeguard its hundreds of millions, than for him to be allowed to drive a car.

It's a free country baby, or at least it should be. Down with the NCAA.
BellCountyBear
Yogi said:

What it comes down to is this:

UMHB's football program does not bring in enough money to the NCAA for the NCAA to care...
Exactly, which is what terrifies me about what they still might do to Baylor.

If this were Texas or Ohio State they would say, "ahh, look at how nice the coach was to his poor players".
57Bear
Yogi said:

You know what this means, though?

If the NCAA did THAT to Baby Baylor, we are absolutely ****ed!!!!

My guess is that TCU will be the "one true champion" of the 2014 football season once The Association gets done with us!

Any information on when "once" will be?
PartyBear
Everyone relax, we set our selves back to a return from the death penalty type of season in 17. All self imposed. Recall before we did that, we were poised to be in national title contention a couple years out from the 15 season.

Surely we will get credit for cleaning house and allowing everyone who wanted to leave to leave without penalty at his new place.
gold rewards
Just seems to me a small private faith based institution might be able to sue for discrimination, if what is said is true. I know some don't favor this response, but I would donate to the cause. I've had enough of the bully kicking sand in the face of the weaklings.
Jorkel
Should have followed the NCAA rules and this would not have happened and if you don't like it you do not have to be a part of the association....

I hate the NCAA for a lot of reasons and petty stuff like this is one of the reasons.
Aliceinbubbleland
jdrs said:

Why has the world lost its common sense and reasonableness?
The world hasn't. The NCAA has.
hodedofome
I remember when one of my parent's neighbors was trying to get their kid to school at Waco High. They called their other neighbor who was a coach at Waco High. Coach had to turn them down because he was too afraid of breaking some regulation.

It's messed up sometimes.
Osodecentx
Jorkel said:

Should have followed the NCAA rules and this would not have happened and if you don't like it you do not have to be a part of the association....
What NCAA rules did Baylor break?
gold rewards
Jorkel said:

I hate the NCAA for a lot of reasons and petty stuff like this is one of the reasons.
Jorkel, the suit would not be about whether the rules were broken or not (unless that is contested in some way). The suit would be about the level of punishment dished out to a small faith based institution for a very minor offense v. what the big state schools get away with having done much worse.
Jacques Strap
gold rewards said:

Jorkel said:

Jorkel, the suit would not be about whether the rules were broken or not (unless that is contested in some way). The suit would be about the level of punishment dished out to a small faith based institution for a very minor offense v. what the big state schools get away with having done much worse.
Yeah, If they had only played an ineligible player like KU did with Darrell Arthur they would get to keep the title.
blackie
How many professors have done the same for one of their students in need and been congradulated for doing it. But because it doesn't involve athletics no one cares. And we all know if it had been UT, OU, or tOSU, the NCAA would have asked why didn't you do this for some other needy students, while praising them for their humanity.

The NCAA has no consistency and is deserving of no respect. What it deserves is to be legislated into obscurity.
gobears20
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
SIC EM 94
Maybe MilliVanilli can get on board with this? Something to the effect of:

Lolz, all you free car enablers/vehicle apologists are pathetic! If you only knew the real story behind what all went on, you would be thanking my relative and the BOR for saving UMHB. Keep obsessing over a coach that had zero self awareness and discipline. I can't share with you any actual details, but trust me I know!
Stefano DiMera
You're right on that..later on it came out Haller bought a plane ticket for someone..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.