Football
Sponsored by

5 years ago today....

3,978 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jdrs
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Feels like it was 10 years ago....what a wild ride it's been the last 5 years...from the penthouse....to the outhouse...to back on the elevator heading up....

Beaneater
Best football game I've ever seen. Best football atmosphere I've ever been in. The most fun I've ever had at a football game. Intense, incredible, amazing.

5 years? I thought it was 50.
MrGolfguy
Beaneater said:

Best football game I've ever seen. Best football atmosphere I've ever been in. The most fun I've ever had at a football game. Intense, incredible, amazing.
Yes, the 4th quarter was, as the Bears made their comeback and the final FG was kicked.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Assassin
My first game at McLane. Wow...
Redbrickbear
Beaneater said:

5 years? I thought it was 50.
^ The win over Texas for our first Big 12 title was better in terms of "achievement"

But the tcu game was more fun....that game or the black out game vs OU.....best two games I have ever seen as a Baylor fan. Crowd loud enough to make your ears hurt.
coopaloop13
I'll never forget my future wife begging for us to leave about midway through the 3rd quarter.
Glad I convinced her to stay with the classic line "just one more drive"!!!
LTbear
Quite possibly the best game I've ever seen.
jdrs
My first game too at McLane. What an introduction! Great memories
Booray
Don't know how to rank them, but my top 10 BU games I attended:

61-58
Closing Floyd Casey
One True Champ
The First Blackout
Holiday Bowl deconstruction of UCLA
Destroying eATMe in the rain n 1980
Comeback v SMU 1980
Homecoming upset of Arkansas 81 or 82?
Grant's last win over UT
Homecoming 2019
jdrs
Hope Homecoming 2019 makes it in your top 10 because we blowout Tech!
historian
Without question, the best game I've ever attended--and I've been to every game Baylor has played at McLane plus a few other great ones across the state in recent years and some great ones in the 1980s & 1990s.

I never get tired of reliving that excitement:

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Dia del DougO

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
historian
Dia del DougO said:

Great image! But didn't it used to be a bear footprint? That looks more human.
Booray
historian said:

Without question, the best game I've ever attended--and I've been to every game Baylor has played at McLane plus a few other great ones across the state in recent years and some great ones in the 1980s & 1990s.

After watching that I have to say it was awesome. I also have to say I much prefer our current kickoff team.
boognish_bear
I had a commitment that night so I could not watch the game live. I DVRd it to watch later that evening.

I was losing my mind watching that comeback....and then right before the winning FG my recording ended. I had added 1.5 hours to the recording....but it was such a long game it stopped the recording right at that moment.

I scrambled for my phone and was relieved to see the FG was good!
historian
Booray said:

historian said:

After watching that I have to say it was awesome. I also have to say I much prefer our current kickoff team.

That's one of the great things about the game: Callahan was criticized endlessly that year (and ever since) because of missed FG's. He had the first score by anyone at McLane in the opening game against SMU and then missed his next 5 attempts over the first half of the season. Then he made all 4 of his attempts in that game, one per quarter, with the last one obviously the most important.

I've never seen a FG kick more exciting (the game winners last year over K State and this year over Iowa State come to mind and for other teams, the failed one by Bama in the 2013 Iron Bowl was almost certainly the most important one that year).

whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

I had a commitment that night so I could not watch the game live. I DVRd it to watch later that evening.

I was losing my mind watching that comeback....and then right before the winning FG my recording ended. I had added 1.5 hours to the recording....but it was such a long game it stopped the recording right at that moment.

I scrambled for my phone and was relieved to see the FG was good!
The week before in Austin, Cholly tried to play a ball control keep away game that kept us off the scoreboard, but not enough to make the game competitive. It made the game move along quickly, and since most of the UT fans were long gone before the final gun, we were able to stay until the end, walk to our car 6 blocks away and make a beeline out of the garage onto I-35 with little traffic. Game had kicked off at 2:30, was over by 5:45, and I pulled into my driveway in Waco before 7:30.

One week later, TCU game also kicked off at 2:30. Between the lighting quick drives, stoppages after multiple scores, and chess match moves between CAB and the Sweaty Fat Man, game didn't end until after 6:30. And since everyone stayed until the end, traffic didn't move, plus there was a wreck on LaSalle that further complicated matters. Didn't get back to my house less than 4 miles from McLane until nearly 8pm.
whitetrash
historian said:

I've never seen a FG kick more exciting (the game winners last year over K State and this year over Iowa State come to mind and for other teams, the failed one by Bama in the 2013 Iron Bowl was almost certainly the most important one that year).

Gotta add Jeff Ireland's game winner at Colorado in 1991 to that list, although it was diminished somewhat by his 3 misses against Rice a few weeks later.
BaylorOkie
Dia del DougO said:

This is fantastic.
Stan Mikita
historian said:

Booray said:

historian said:

Look at all those white people.
boognish_bear
Stan Mikita said:

historian said:

Booray said:

historian said:

Look at all those white people.

chukronos
One of the best games I've ever been to!
All the tcu people that had been jingling their keys couldn't get their keys in their pockets fast enough.
saucebob
Top 3 I've attended

- Miracle on the Brazos
- 61-58
- Closing out the Case
BUbackerinET
I'm right there with you, I had to attend a wedding - no option, and many in the wedding party were Frogs. We were monitoring the game right up until the bride came down the aisle. Shortly after the ceremony, Petty threw that pick-6, and boy the sh*t started flowing from all those frogs. I told them not to be so sure, they all laughed uncontrollably, man did I enjoy that last laugh-I'll never forget those a'holes.
Stan Mikita
historian said:

Shock was on point in the 4th quarter.
ImABearToo
1974 comeback in the cold at the Case over cows.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Wichitabear
I sure miss Bryce Petty.
Chuckroast
Best game I've ever attended. Baylor was playing against a great TCU team for a potential playoff slot, so the stakes were huge. My son and I had a great time celebrating with the complete strangers sitting next to us . . . that was such a far cry from my Baylor game day experience during a good era in the half filled stadium off of Valley Mills. Truly a great time to be a Baylor fan!
jdrs
Booray said:

Don't know how to rank them, but my top 10 BU games I attended:

61-58
Closing Floyd Casey
One True Champ
The First Blackout
Holiday Bowl deconstruction of UCLA
Destroying eATMe in the rain n 1980
Comeback v SMU 1980
Homecoming upset of Arkansas 81 or 82?
Grant's last win over UT
Homecoming 2019

Well Homecoming 2019 sure was a nail biter! Does it make your list?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.