Football
Sponsored by

What has happened to our punting today?

2,541 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
Baylor3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
3 shanks???
vanillabryce
Open tryouts Monday.

GoldenBear007
More like all season, but yes, it hasn't been pretty
GrowlTowel
He was great kicking it on the short field. Not so much on our side of the field.
Jorkel
Even in warm ups the balls weren't looking great coming off the punters foot
BU82EX
Powers has been a big disappointment this year. I can count 2 decent punts this year but the rest have been poor. I watched him practice at halftime and it looked like Drew Galitz was out there trying to help him find the right drop position and ball angle. Not good to be trying to "find your game" in the middle of the game.
kevinwood
I recall, many years ago, Baylor having several punters in the past who could all punt the ball high and far.

Seems like someone on the team, or someone at our school could punt high and far for the long field kicks, but I could be wrong.
Porteroso
Can't have it all. We've got a guy who made a field goal ever, that's enough for me. Who even cares about the punt game.
Dnicknames
Can we get daniel Sepulvada out of retirement please?
Saddle Up!
Dnicknames said:

At this point, I'd settle for Luke Prestridge.
LIB,MR BEARS
BU82EX said:

Powers has been a big disappointment this year. I can count 2 decent punts this year but the rest have been poor. I watched him practice at halftime and it looked like Drew Galitz was out there trying to help him find the right drop position and ball angle. Not good to be trying to "find your game" in the middle of the game.

Galitz was no help. What Powers needs to do is put all his change in his left-hand pocket, tie his left shoe in a double knot, put his helmet on backwards and put a tee behind his left ear. He'll look like a fool but then he can take that little ball and punt it the hell down that field.

BrutalBear
If he's still on scholarship next year I will be pissed. You don't burn a scholly on a punter who looks like an average hs punter. 18-30 yards/punt ain't gonna cut it. Our offense isnt good enough to consistently overcome ****ty field position. Also, constantly giving the opponent the ball at midfield is dangerous game to play with 3 major defensive contributors dinged up.
BaylorRocks
BrutalBear said:

If he's still on scholarship next year I will be pissed. You don't burn a scholly on a punter who looks like an average hs punter. 18-30 yards/punt ain't gonna cut it. Our offense isnt good enough to consistently overcome ****ty field position. Also, constantly giving the opponent the ball at midfield is dangerous game to play with 3 major defensive contributors dinged up.
Get a grip, Francis.

Sic'em
BrutalBear
zunooreo said:

BrutalBear said:

Get a grip, Francis.

Sic'em
Thanks for your valuable insight. Let me ask you a question. If you were in charge of a group of subordinates at work and one of them was constantly under performing, what would be your course of action? In the world I reside in that person would be fired and replaced with someone that can make more of a contribution. Scholarships should be based on performance and Powers is certainly not up to snuff based on his resume at this point.
BaylorRocks
BrutalBear said:

zunooreo said:

BrutalBear said:

Get a grip, Francis.

Sic'em
Thanks for your valuable insight. Let me ask you a question. If you were in charge of a group of subordinates at work and one of them was constantly under performing, what would be your course of action? In the world I reside in that person would be fired and replaced with someone that can make more of a contribution. Scholarships should be based on performance and Powers is certainly not up to snuff based on his resume at this point.
Well, how nice for you. But this is college football, a game, and a bunch of college students who quite frankly I would wager heavily could all probably punt a football better than you.

Grab a pair of cleats and get out there Sparky and show CMR you're better then what he has; I am sure you have 4 full years of eligibility available. Otherwise, shut up and just be a fan.

Get a grip, Francis.

Sic'em
BrutalBear
zunooreo said:

BrutalBear said:

zunooreo said:

BrutalBear said:

Get a grip, Francis.

Sic'em
Well, how nice for you. But this is college football, a game, and a bunch of college students who quite frankly I would wager heavily could all probably punt a football better than you.

Grab a pair of cleats and get out there Sparky and show CMR you're better then what he has; I am sure you have 4 full years of eligibility available. Otherwise, shut up and just be a fan.

Get a grip, Francis.

Sic'em

I'm not a punter, but I guarantee I could hit one over 25 yards with some consistency - placement would be another story. You see guys move along from programs all the time because they're not performing. I don't see how this has you so upset. I'm sure he's a great kid, but he's certainly no Sepulveda. Bad field position does and will continue to cost teams games. It hasn't happened to BU yet this season but it's certainly going to at some point. The defense can't continue to bail us out of these situations especially with the offense looking sloppy at times and the meat of the schedule coming up.

As far as it being a game, it certainly is. A game that the university pours a pretty penny into and expects results. Not everyone can get a participation trophy. If you look at this as an investment then your ROI is underwhelming to say the least.

And actually, I dont have any eligibility left.
Media Bear
Saddle Up! said:

Dnicknames said:

At this point, I'd settle for Luke Prestridge.
Or Ryan Chapdelaine ...

Heck, RG III averaged 39.5 yds per punt over the 4 times he did that at BU ...
BearlyBeloved
Media Bear said:

Heck, RG III averaged 39.5 yds per punt over the 4 times he did that at BU ...
You're saying that Charlie Brewer should be our punter?!?

I'm just imagining how often CMR might call for a fake punt.
Stranger
Dnicknames said:

Or Ed Marsh
I'm a Bearbacker
KajunKarlsdad
I would bet you could find a kid on the club rugby team that could give you more consistent results on punts. Never waste a scholarship on a punter or PK, that's the Nick Saban philosophy.

I was expecting big things from Powers since he was a highly rated punter coming out of high school.
Mitch Henessey
KajunKarlsdad said:

I would bet you could find a kid on the club rugby team that could give you more consistent results on punts. Never waste a scholarship on a punter or PK, that's the Nick Saban philosophy.

I was expecting big things from Powers since he was a highly rated punter coming out of high school.
And Saban has lost at least one, if not more, national championships because of inconsistency in the kicking game. Ask him if he wished he had a scholarship kicker in those years.
Mitch Henessey
Matt Rhule's take on the punting situation:

On if there are technique issues with freshman punter Issac Power
"Issac just has to punt his way through it. When he has a good drop, he crushes the ball. And when he hasn't had a good drop, he hasn't. It's like anything else, if they say, 'Hey, it's your drop,' then what do you start thinking about? Your drop. And then you think about your drop, your drop, your drop. So, he just has to punt his way through it. Every great player I know has gone through a period of self-doubt. Unfortunately, when you're the punter, everyone sees it. When you're a receiver and you have a drop, it's kind of like, 'All right, come back.' And he doesn't have many chances to redeem himself. He did put one out at the 10-yard line. He did do some good things in that regard. So, I'm sure before no time he'll be back."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.