Football
Sponsored by

Sorry, Stranger

9,358 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RD2WINAGNBEAR86
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another gutsy win for the good guys. This team doesn't always execute well, but these guys are so mentally tough.
Stranger
Why would you be sorry? I thought it was a great win for the players and the fans. A bunch of the posters wanted to bench Brewer but I thought he redeemed himself for the interceptions by running for three touchdowns. This win is all on his shoulders. He is one tough sumb**h.

Charlie Brewer won this game. Any day the Bears win is a good day.
I'm a Bearbacker
CutTheTVoff
This thread would have done well with a different title.
bear2be2
CutTheTVoff said:

This thread would have done well with a different title.
It's OK. Everyone knows how I feel about Matt Rhule and this team. I want Stranger to know how I feel about him.

And if you're wondering why I'm calling him out by name, saunter on over to the gameday thread and follow the trail of menstrual blood to each of his posts.

No one on this board gets giddier or more annoying than Stranger when things go wrong. Fortunately, no one on this board has a worse track record of predicting the future either.
RegentCoverup
Stranger is a Baylor fan.
bear2be2
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Stranger is a (terrible) Baylor fan.
FIFY
EvilTroyAndAbed
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

ColomboLQ
This is an odd thread. Are you trying to say that Stranger is not a Baylor fan? Because if so, I've not gotten that impression over the years. And if you're saying he's not a Rhule fan, this would be an odd game to try to use to boast about anything for Rh
ule considering the result relative to the opponent.
Stefano DiMera
No. Stranger is a fan if the coach is a good ole boy with a drawl..not a Yankee..

I would love to see you fools if the ghost of Eddie Robinson ever became our coach.
Stranger
bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

FIFY

It's ok to let your inexperience show. You don't know me or anything about my Baylor history. Many fans do. I am a long-suffering fan who has known many Baylor coaches. I liked some better than others. Regardless of how I felt about each of them I was always a loyal Baylor fan.

Coaches are kinda like preachers or girlfriends. You are bound to have some that you like and some you don't.

I have never met Rhule but let's say I liked several coaches a whole lot better than him. I may change my opinion of him one of the days. Or maybe not. We'll see.

It's like Fords and Chevrolets. Not everyone likes the same thing.

Don't doubt my love for the Baylor Bears. They've always been my team.
I'm a Bearbacker
BearlyBeloved
Stranger said:

bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Coaches are kinda like preachers or girlfriends. You are bound to have some that you like and some you don'tI

Why would you have a girlfriend that you don't like??
bear2be2
Stranger said:

bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

FIFY

It's ok to let your inexperience show. You don't know me or anything about my Baylor history. Many fans do. I am a long-suffering fan who has known many Baylor coaches. I liked some better than others. Regardless of how I felt about each of them I was always a loyal Baylor fan.

Coaches are kinda like preachers or girlfriends. You are bound to have some that you like and some you don't.

I have never met Rhule but let's say I liked several coaches a whole lot better than him. I may change my opinion of him one of the days. Or maybe not. We'll see.

It's like Fords and Chevrolets. Not everyone likes the same thing.

Don't doubt my love for the Baylor Bears. They've always been my team.
Seeing that I don't know you -- and don't particularly care to change that -- I can only judge you by your track record on this board, and you are one of the biggest *****es and least knowledgeable posters here. If you want to be viewed differently, you can start by changing that.
bear2be2
ColomboLQ said:

This is an odd thread. Are you trying to say that Stranger is not a Baylor fan? Because if so, I've not gotten that impression over the years. And if you're saying he's not a Rhule fan, this would be an odd game to try to use to boast about anything for Rhule considering the result relative to the opponent.
I'd argue that this game was one of the best examples yet of why Matt Rhule is an excellent football coach. His team's can play poorly for most of a game and still find ways to stay in it and win at the end.

There's a reason his record is what it is when leading going into the fourth quarter and why his teams are freaking nails in tight ballgames. The dude builds mentally tough football teams that nut up when things get tough, which is coincidentally a quality many on this board -- Stranger especially -- could learn from.
BUGWBBear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

He is. Pollyanna? No. But he is.
xiledinok
Stranger knows all about our Baptist Country Club regent crew.
He is a Bear.
historian
Why do so many of these threads devolve into senseless bickering? Why can people not accept that someone disagrees with them without resorting to questioning their Baylor fandom, manhood (some other posters on other threads), intelligence, virility, or otherwise. At least this one is not as bad as some of the others--yet.

Maybe I'm just too tired! LOL
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
boognish_bear
historian said:

Why do so many of these threads devolve into senseless bickering? Why can people not accept that someone disagrees with them without resorting to questioning their Baylor fandom, manhood (some other posters on other threads), intelligence, virility, or otherwise. At least this one is not as bad as some of the others--yet.

Well....when a posters name gets put in the thread title you know there will be drama to ensue
Booray
historian said:

This thread started with senseless bickering
historian
Both good points. It was not devolution this time, it began in the cess pool.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
ColomboLQ
bear2be2 said:

ColomboLQ said:

This is an odd thread. Are you trying to say that Stranger is not a Baylor fan? Because if so, I've not gotten that impression over the years. And if you're saying he's not a Rhule fan, this would be an odd game to try to use to boast about anything for Rhule considering the result relative to the opponent.
I'd argue that this game was one of the best examples yet of why Matt Rhule is an excellent football coach. His team's can play poorly for most of a game and still find ways to stay in it and win at the end.

There's a reason his record is what it is when leading going into the fourth quarter and why his teams are freaking nails in tight ballgames. The dude builds mentally tough football teams that nut up when things get tough, which is coincidentally a quality many on this board -- Stranger especially -- could learn from.

Playing poorly against a really good/ great team and finding a way to win is one thing that would show excellent coaching. Playing poorly against a mediocre team that you should crush and then winning is NOT proof of excellent coaching.
Booray
ColomboLQ said:

bear2be2 said:

ColomboLQ said:

Playing poorly against a really good/ great team and finding a way to win is one thing that would show excellent coaching. Playing poorly against a mediocre team that you should crush and then winning is NOT proof of excellent coaching.
Only at Baylor. I would argue that being 1 of 12 undefeated teams in the country is a sign of good coaching.
Mothra
A game like this one is what frustrates me at times about CMR coached teams. We seem to just struggle along at times before getting a sense of urgency and then closing it out - not without some incredible luck along the way. This is a tech team that I think a good team would have beaten into submission at home on homecoming. But we just aren't there yet. We aren't consistent, yet. We are a pretty good team that still has a lot of o line issues, backups that simply aren't far enough along in development to be counted on, and still has mental lapses at times that allow for big plays.

I think at the end of the day winning 8 games is still an incredible accomplishment, but we are going to see a step up in competition down the stretch with some injuries at key positions. I think 2-4 or 3-3 is likely. But I don't like hearing from CMR that it was coaching decisions or motivational tactics (whatever he was alluding to in post game) that led to the bad first half of football.
Bleed Green
ColomboLQ said:

bear2be2 said:

ColomboLQ said:

Are you under the impression that we are on OU's level? IMHO we are much closer to Tech's level than we are OU. And that is the only team that has truly blown out Tech this year. Texas very well could, but we aren't in that level yet either. The lack of objectivity on this board from either side is ridiculous. We are a good team with very good coaching. We are no where near elite as a team and coaching will have to continue to show growth to be labeled great.

Rhule was a good hire. Probably even a great hire considering who would have come here at the time. I love Baylor, but the truth is we have not had a single coach go on from here and coach another school. Only 2 in my lifetime were even courted by others. Quit thinking we had the pick of the litter when we hired Rhule. Given that, Rhule has done nothing but shut down critics. (You can't simply look at year 1 and ignore everything since) I loved Briles, but he had plenty of issues despite leading our program to its greatest heights. He rarely had great teams as shown by our lack of pro players but he had a great system. He also benefited from UT and ATM having mediocre coaches. Rhule has issues, but he is 6-0 and has only 2 games on his schedule that I will be shocked if we win.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

A game like this one is what frustrates me at times about CMR coached teams. We seem to just struggle along at times before getting a sense of urgency and then closing it out - not without some incredible luck along the way. This is a tech team that I think a good team would have beaten into submission at home on homecoming. But we just aren't there yet. We aren't consistent, yet. We are a pretty good team that still has a lot of o line issues, backups that simply aren't far enough along in development to be counted on, and still has mental lapses at times that allow for big plays.

I think at the end of the day winning 8 games is still an incredible accomplishment, but we are going to see a step up in competition down the stretch with some injuries at key positions. I think 2-4 or 3-3 is likely. But I don't like hearing from CMR that it was coaching decisions or motivational tactics (whatever he was alluding to in post game) that led to the bad first half of football.

We're not there yet, which is why being 6-0 at this stage is a really good sign.

Everyone here wants to fast-track our return to championship level football, but we still have holes and depth issues that championship caliber teams don't have.

I would recommend that some folks here try to enjoy the build and stop trying to find things to be unhappy about. We will get to a point eventually where our personnel and depth do put us at a significant advantage over mid-tier Big 12 teams like Tech, Kansas State, TCU, West Virginia, etc. But outside of the offensive skill positions, we're really not there yet. In the meantime, enjoy the fact that we're beating those types of teams with regularity right now and our program's trajectory arrow is pointed straight up.
Forest Bueller
Not being a great team and being 6-0 is a good thing.

Pulled out two wins that could have been losses.

As I said on a thread about 3 weeks ago, besides OU and UT we are going to go head to head with a bunch of
pretty equally matched teams. So far the Bears are 2-0 in those games. That's good coaching.
bear2be2
Forest Bueller said:

Not being a great team and being 6-0 is a good thing.

Pulled out two wins that could have been losses.

As I said on a thread about 3 weeks ago, besides OU and UT we are going to go head to head with a bunch of
pretty equally matched teams. So far the Bears are 2-0 in those games. That's good coaching.

Yep, and the Iowa State win is going to look really good at the end of the season. They're mauling people right now.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

We're not there yet, which is why being 6-0 at this stage is a really good sign.

Everyone here wants to fast-track our return to championship level football, but we still have holes and depth issues that championship caliber teams don't have.

I would recommend that some folks here try to enjoy the build and stop trying to find things to be unhappy about. We will get to a point eventually where our personnel and depth do put us at a significant advantage over mid-tier Big 12 teams like Tech, Kansas State, TCU, West Virginia, etc. But outside of the offensive skill positions, we're really not there yet. In the meantime, enjoy the fact that we're beating those types of teams with regularity right now and our program's trajectory arrow is pointed straight up.

Agree for the most part. I think the o line is the biggest thing holding us back at this point - though they gave Charlie at lot of time at times yesterday. But I do think we still have questionable play calling at times offensively. We have regressed offensively from the end of the season last year.

A review of CMR's record at Temple suggests we are going to have games like this from time to time - some we win and some we lose. Although Temple liked CMR, these types of let down games were the kind of games they complained about on occasion. I do think our fans are a bit spoiled that these are the types of teams we use to kill at home under CAB - thus the reason for the complaints.
Mothra
Yes, and quite frankly we should have beaten Iowa State and Tech a lot worse but for some mental lapses and breakdowns.

I think the problem going forward is injuries. If Clay is done for the year, I think 3-3 is the best we can hope for with 2-4 more likely. Hope I'm wrong but that was a huge loss that we couldn't afford.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

Agree for the most part. I think the o line is the biggest thing holding us back at this point - though they gave Charlie at lot of time at times yesterday. But I do think we still have questionable play calling at times offensively. We have regressed offensively from the end of the season last year.

A review of CMR's record at Temple suggests we are going to have games like this from time to time - some we win and some we lose. Although Temple liked CMR, these types of let down games were the kind of games they complained about on occasion. I do think our fans are a bit spoiled that these are the types of teams we use to kill at home under CAB - thus the reason for the complaints.

The Tech and a Vanderbilt games were offensive outliers last year too, though. Like others, I had hoped that was a sign that we had turned the proverbial corner and could expect those types of performances going forward, but we just don't run block well enough to consistently produce at that level.

The good news, though, is that those games show the scheme works on the occasions we're able to block it correctly. And that's really been true the entire time Rhule/Nixon have been here. We just haven't had enough of those games over the past three years. Our O-line is making strides every year, but it's still got a long way to go yet to get where we all want to be eventually.
Wichitabear
I would have to agree with most of this. But, I'm no coach and do not always understand certain plays called and why. Play calling on offense concerns me. I love our coach and players. They are fighters but Mothra is right on playing with urgency. The whole 1st half seems to always be slow. Why? We can't take this long with Texas/OU and for that matter any game going forward. Play calling on offense concerns me at times. It's not good. But here again I'm not sitting where the coach is. We are making progress. I've always said that it will take 3 to 4 years to build a team. Please don't throw daggers at me. I'm sensitive. Ok
PartyBear
Bleed Green. You made one error in what you said. We actually had people lining up for this job. Mack Brown offered to leave the booth at ESPN for the job for one example. We were not interested and he left the booth a couple years later for UNC as you know.
bear2be2
historian said:

Both good points. It was not devolution this time, it began in the cess pool.

And yet, you felt a need to click on this thread and respond.

The irony is this thread, which started as a call-out thread (and that's all I intended it to be), has actually evolved into a pretty good Baylor football discussion.

This board is funny.
Wichitabear
Ditto.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Mothra said:

Yes, and quite frankly we should have beaten Iowa State and Tech a lot worse but for some mental lapses and breakdowns.

I think the problem going forward is injuries. If Clay is done for the year, I think 3-3 is the best we can hope for with 2-4 more likely. Hope I'm wrong but that was a huge loss that we couldn't afford.
"Hope I'm wrong" needs to be retired from the vernacular. Because if we do finish 2-4, you'll be back here saying "I told you so." Part of you hopes you're not wrong.
Mothra
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Mothra said:

"Hope I'm wrong" needs to be retired from the vernacular. Because if we do finish 2-4, you'll be back here saying "I told you so." Part of you hopes you're not wrong.

We have some really sensitive posters on this board.

I hope we finish with 6 wins. It's more likely with injuries and the way we are playing we finish with 2-4 or 3-3. Not sure how else to say that for our sensitive posters out there.

Post above is a great example of why I hope I'm wrong needs to be said. Some posters feel that anyone concerned about play or with a realistic assessment wants us to lose.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.