Football
Sponsored by

Philip Montgomery hot seat?

4,695 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
the_flying_taco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like Tulsa is going down to Navy tonight. This is the third year for a losing record in Tulsa. 2017 was 2-10 and 2018 was 3-9. They are 2-3, looking to be 2-4
DaRealBears
And people thought we should have hired him instead of Rhule..
EvilTroyAndAbed
DaRealBears said:

And people thought we should have hired him instead of Rhule..
Some did. Some didn't. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Jorkel
Maybe he can be the 3rd offensive coordinator and help us out
MilliVanilli
Jorkel said:

Maybe he can be the 3rd offensive coordinator and help us out
He got a little predictable his final season here, but he was eons better than his nepotistic successor.
BaylorOkie
I don't know if TU has the money to buy him out, but it would seem his time is almost up there. Too bad. He and his wife have fit in well here. People like them. It's just not working out so far.

It's really strange, too. He takes a 2 win roster, revives the bad QB and wins 10 games with him. But after that he can't win with his own Texas recruits. I really thought getting Smith under center this season would save his job.
xiledinok
There's heavy criticism regarding Tulsa's lack of recruiting.
PartyBear
Tulsa is probably one of the toughest places to recruit to even in the G5 context. That said I'm sure he knew that when he took the job.
xiledinok
PartyBear said:

Tulsa is probably one of the toughest places to recruit to even in the G5 context. That said I'm sure he knew that when he took the job.

Tulsa is a great school in a great city. It's not that difficult to get G5 guys on campus.
BaylorOkie
Monty gets to come back next year. My guess is it's money related in terms of the University not wanting to absorb a buyout. But that's just speculation on my part.
boognish_bear
Wonder what his QB situation is next year?
Baylor187
I think part of the problem is that Montgomery simply knows how to run the offense but is not the innovator of the offense. Teams have started figuring out how to defend the RPO offense the past several seasons, and I don't think he has been able to make the necessary changes to the offense in order to adjust.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
boognish_bear said:

Same as this year, but I think he'll be better after a year of playing.
boognish_bear
Brian Ethridge said:

boognish_bear said:

Same as this year, but I think he'll be better after a year of playing.
Oh yeah...I keep forgetting Zach still has another year left....
Wineguy89
Hopefully Monty gets them to a bowl next year and get to stay a while longer. Always seemed like a good dude.
boognish_bear
He's made quite the bounce back

DanaDane
Have to hand it to him. It would have been easy to cower and just accept the ultimate fate of getting fired but Montgomery manned up, made no excuses and has done well this year. No way they fire him this year.
Baylor3216
They won that game last night with at least 1 and I think 2 times inside the 5 and having zero points

We kicked 2 FGs and still lost.
Baylorbears111
DanaDane said:

Have to hand it to him. It would have been easy to cower and just accept the ultimate fate of getting fired but Montgomery manned up, made no excuses and has done well this year. No way they fire him this year.

Tulsa is a hard place to win at and recruit to. Good for Montgomery and good for Tulsa.

Side note: If there were a modern day magnolia league of elite Southern Privates, would Tulsa get the call?
Aberzombie1892
DanaDane said:

That's true, but let's remember that if Tulsa had more money, he would have been fired last season or the season before. As impressive as this season and his second season were, he is currently 29-38 there after over 5 and a half seasons - which isn't that impressive overall.
PartyBear
Well if the season continues to go the way it has, Tulsa would not be in a position to fire him despite his over all record. Rhule's overall record here was not great.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

Well if the season continues to go the way it has, Tulsa would not be in a position to fire him despite his over all record. Rhule's overall record here was not great.

Yeah no way he on the hot seat right now. They're a top 25 team. We'll see how the season goes.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
REvansBU71
Awesome OC
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
RightRevBear
Baylorbears111 said:

DanaDane said:

Tulsa is a hard place to win at and recruit to. Good for Montgomery and good for Tulsa.

Side note: If there were a modern day magnolia league of elite Southern Privates, would Tulsa get the call?
I went down this rabbit hole. While this is possible, I believe that it is more likely that the US will become a post-nuclear apocalypse wasteland or for Aggies to lose their inferiority complex.

They would need 8 FBS schools at least, because the top schools are FBS schools. There are several elite universities that are Division I schools that do not play football in this geographic footprint. They could be added as non-football members to add more academic reputation to the conference.

This is a list of private universities in the geographic area being considered. They are in order of their US News rankings. I have alternated bold and italics to show different levels of academic reputation that appeared.

1. Duke
2. Vanderbilt
3. Rice
4. Wake Forest
5. Tulane
6.Miami
7. SMU
8. Baylor
9. TCU
10. Tulsa
11. Incarnate Word
12. Liberty

Now to answer whether or not Tulsa would be included in the "Magnolia League." I doubt it. Only the top 3 in the list compete with the Ivies. The next two (Wake Forest and Tulane) are known for very high-quality education. The universities in 6-9 are well-known nationally for having high-quality academics. University of Tulsa is in a weird place. It provides an excellent education, but does not have the national reputation. I doubt several schools in the top five would view Tulsa as having a reputation that would warrant its inclusion. The last two would get the conference to twelve, but including them would kind of be defeating the purpose of the whole conference. If anyone thinks that Liberty University has the educational status to be on this list, they are as delusional as Falwells. I apologize again for going down the rabbit hole.
ImABearToo
Tulsa in the red zone, down 7 to Tulane. Zack out hurt. 3:27 left.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
boognish_bear
Brin converts a 4th and 15 for the game tying TD

3:05 left
boognish_bear
Green Wave runs back kick off to Tulsa 28. Already in FG range.
boognish_bear
One of those weird spots where Tulsa might be best off letting Tulane score quickly so they can at least get the ball back
historian
xiledinok said:

Tulsa is a great school in a great city. It's not that difficult to get G5 guys on campus.
A few dozen show up at the football stadium almost every week during a normal football season.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BikerBear
The Heart Attack Hurricane! Hopefully a few people were able to stay up and see it.
BikerBear
BikerBear said:

The Heart Attack Hurricane! Hopefully a few people were able to stay up and see it.
Sorry......Tulsa won it with a Pick 6 in OT. I told my brother that I got distracted and missed the first 3 quarters. As he said.....you didn't miss much.....he was going to bed. So I watched the 4th quarter and both overtimes. :-)
boognish_bear
RR/BV
#23 and #90 on defense are fun to watch. They are Baylor last year
PartyBear
Not to derail but didn't think it merited a new thread but how the hell does a school in Tulsa Ok pick Hurricanes as the mascot?
RegentCoverup
PartyBear said:

Not to derail but didn't think it merited a new thread but how the hell does a school in Tulsa Ok pick Hurricanes as the mascot?
These are the same people that named not one, but two airports after people that died in plane crashes.

I'd say Hurricanes was an improvement.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.