Football
Sponsored by

Boise St resume vs BU resume

3,315 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coming into the games today BSU was ranked #14 and BU was ranked #22.

It would be a huge leapfrog for us to jump them tomorrow....but isn't our undefeated resume more impressive than theirs?

MilliVanilli
We beat 3 P5 teams, two that beat ranked opponents.

Our resume is a helluva lot better.

Their best win is over hapless FSU.
vanillabryce
Absolutely it's better, but because of that one win at FSU that looked good at the tine they entered the rankings weeks ahead of us.
MrGolfguy
Cactus Bowl rematch for the higher ranking?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
historian
The only differences I see are the number of P5 teams we've defeated (as noted) and the margin of victory: there's look larger. It shouldn't matter but apparently beating creampuffs by a wide margin helps.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Mitch Blood Green
Irrelevant. They can go undefeated but not make a New Year's Day Bowl. We can lose to OU, beat them in the big 12 championship and make the playoffs.
historian
tommie said:

Irrelevant. They can go undefeated but not make a New Year's Day Bowl. We can lose to OU, beat them in the big 12 championship and make the playoffs.
True. If we win all other games. It would be wonderful but I don't see it happening this year. Maybe in 2020--especially with another SEC victory.
Mitch Blood Green
historian said:

tommie said:

True. If we win all other games. It would be wonderful but I don't see it happening this year. Maybe in 2020--especially with another SEC victory.

It's improbable but not impossible. It'll require some real SEC flops and maybe Clemson falls.

It's extremely unlikely. Still like our position more than the BSU.
historian
Good news: there are almost always some real SEC flops (like Georgia losing to SC) and Clemson can certainly have one too (barely surviving UNC last week, for example). I certainly like the optimism but realistically, I don't see it happening this year. I will be very happy if they prove me wrong.
Beaneater
tommie said:

If BU goes 11-1 with a loss to OU, makes the champ game and beats OU, BU will not be in the playoffs.
If OU goes 11-1 with a loss to BU, makes the champ game and beats BU, OU will be in the playoffs.
Redbrickbear
Beaneater said:

tommie said:

If BU goes 11-1 with a loss to OU, makes the champ game and beats OU, BU will not be in the playoffs.
If OU goes 11-1 with a loss to BU, makes the champ game and beats BU, OU will be in the playoffs.
yep.

The current play off model is better than the BCS system we used to have.

But it will never be fixed until the power 5.....and some would say Mountainwest & AAC.....Champs gets an auto bid to the playoff.

There will always be an inherent bias in the system for name brand name schools like (USC, Oregon, Texas, OU, Mich, Ohio St., Penn State, LSU, Auburn, Bama, UGA, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Clemson) over every one else.

Everyone knows a 1 loss bama is getting in over an undefeated say Wake Forrest.

Or a one loss Florida State is getting in over an undefeated TCU.

It's still got a rigged feel to it.
historian
Beaneater said:

tommie said:

Unfortunately, that's probably true.

But it depends on how many undefeated teams there are at the end and who the one loss teams are. If there are few of either and we have wins over several ranked opponents (OU, Texas, and potentially one or more of the _____ States) then we would have a better resume than most any other one loss team. The committee won't see it this way, but our resume will be better than almost any 1 loss SEC team unless it's a weird scenario like Auburn losing to LSU but beating Bama or vice versa (& even that's questionable if Auburn loses many more games).

This is all too hypothetical and it's a long shot that we will end the season with only 1 loss or even make it to the Big 12 title game.
Beaneater
Playoffs? we talking playoffs? Let's come back to reality.

Questionable offense, Lynch is out so what happens to the defense, punters, kickers, O-line, all real issues and I'm sure there are more. BUT:

My Bears are 6-0 with huge wins against ISU, KSU, and Tech.
Let's say the Bears go 2-1 in the next 3 games are OSU, Toad, and WVa.

Then as expected they lose to UT & OU.

Now they're 8-3, Kansas comes to Waco, all of a sudden the season is over and the record is 9-3, 3rd place finish in the B12, with a chance for a 10th win in a bowl game!

I don't care who you are that's an INCREDIBLE season for this team!

So, the key to the season is the next 3 weeks.

Even if they go 1-2 in this 3-game stretch, they likely then end up 8-4 and I will take that this year.
boognish_bear
Beaneater said:

Questionable offense, Lynch is out so what happens to the defense, punters, kickers, O-line, all real issues and I'm sure there are more. BUT:

Now they're 8-3, Kansas comes to Waco, all of a sudden the season is over and the record is 9-3, 3rd place finish in the B12, with a chance for a 10th win in a bowl game!

Even if they go 1-2 in this 3-game stretch, they likely then end up 8-4 and I will take that this year.

Those scenarios seem very likely and doable. I would 9-3 in a split second.
historian
Beaneater said:

Great scenarios but two corrections: both Lynches are fine, James & Blake. It's Clay Johnston that is out. Also, we play Kansas in Lawrence.

You are absolutely correct: by any standard it would be an amazing season--even if we don't get the 10th win (something Baylor has only done 5 times in program history).

And I still believe we have a shot at beating both TCU & Texas.
Beaneater
historian said:

Beaneater said:

Great scenarios but two corrections: both Lynches are fine, James & Blake. It's Clay Johnston that is out. Also, we play Kansas in Lawrence.

You are absolutely correct: by any standard it would be an amazing season--even if we don't get the 10th win (something Baylor has only done 5 times in program history).

And I still believe we have a shot at beating both TCU & Texas.
d'oh. Johnston. Kansas. Apologies, and thanks for the correction.
historian
You're welcome.

You're main point was spot on. That's what matters.
Timbear
Going 8-4 is great. We actually could go 9-3 realistically. Plus a Bowl win, hopefully.
Mitch Blood Green
Beaneater said:

tommie said:

Probably true. It's even probable that we could go undefeated and not be in the playoffs over a one loss LSU team. I get that. P5 is my point. P5 trumps whatever BSU is.
Jorkel
tommie said:

Beaneater said:

tommie said:

Probably true. It's even probable that we could go undefeated and not be in the playoffs over a one loss LSU team. I get that. P5 is my point. P5 trumps whatever BSU is.

I'm pretty sure if a big 12 team goes undefeated they are in the CFP.
Mitch Blood Green
Jorkel said:

tommie said:

Beaneater said:

tommie said:

I'm not. I can see two SEC (LSU/Alabama), 1 big 10 (OSU) and 1 ACC (Clemson).
Jorkel
tommie said:

Jorkel said:

tommie said:

Beaneater said:

tommie said:

No power 5 teams that has gone undefeated has ever been left out of the playoffs. Even if Kansas ran the table they would be in. However it's incredibly hard to be undefeated in any conference.

However an 12-1 baylor team that ended up losing in the conference championship game could be left out over a non conference championship 11-1 LSU/Alabama team...just look at Ohio State
Mitch Blood Green
Jorkel said:

tommie said:

Jorkel said:

tommie said:

Beaneater said:

tommie said:

No power 5 teams that has gone undefeated has ever been left out of the playoffs. Even if Kansas ran the table they would be in. However it's incredibly hard to be undefeated in any conference.

However an 12-1 baylor team that ended up losing in the conference championship game could be left out over a non conference championship 11-1 LSU/Alabama team...just look at Ohio State

Naw. They would screw us. Although p5, we're starting from too far down.
historian
The SEC would use the usual excuses about our ooc, never mind that Bama & most other SEC teams play the same number of creampuffs this year--except they only play them at home (cowards) & get one in November.
Jorkel
historian said:

The SEC would use the usual excuses about our ooc, never mind that Bama & most other SEC teams play the same number of creampuffs this year--except they only play them at home (cowards) & get one in November.

If Baylor goes 13-0 they are in.
historian
Jorkel said:

historian said:

True. But that's a huge "if". I know Oklahoma did it but I don't know if Baylor can. I certainly hope so! Then, beat Bama in the semis!
Jorkel
historian said:

Jorkel said:

historian said:

True. But that's a huge "if". I know Oklahoma did it but I don't know if Baylor can. I certainly hope so! Then, beat Bama in the semis!

Oh it's absolutely a huge if. I think only 4 teams have gone undefeated since the start of CFP. I'm just saying that no undefeated power 5 team will be left out for an 11-1 non SEC conference champion Like LSU or Alabama, even Baylor wouldn't be. Now if Baylor was 12-1 conference champion. They could be left out for a 1 loss SEC team that didn't win the SEC. it's happened before
historian
I agree with everything you've said so far.

We can set our hopes high but it's still one game at a time.

Sic 'em Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.