Football
Sponsored by

Baylor ranked #18 in Week 8 AP Poll

5,296 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.apnews.com/APTop25CollegeFootballPoll

Iowa State was second highest in other teams receiving votes

Aggy is out of the polls....but still received some votes even at 3-3

Others receiving votes:
Tulane 55, Iowa State 36, Temple 31, Wake Forest 25, California 20, Virginia 8, Memphis 6, USC 4, South Carolina 4, Texas A&M 3, UCF 3, San Diego State 2, Louisiana Tech 1

MilliVanilli
Both Boise St and Texas should be behind us.
OsoCoreyell
Called it!
John Hawk
I hate UT, but... UT's losses were close losses to top 5 teams. Baylor and UT have had a common opponent and UT beat Rice 48-13 to Baylor's 21-13. If Baylor beats OSU by more than 6, then there will be a good argument.
boognish_bear
MilliVanilli said:

Both Boise St and Texas should be behind us.

I have no love for UT....but non-blowout losses to the #2 and #5 ranked teams....I can understand not dropping them too much.

I don't understand Boise St being ahead of us. By any measure we have beaten a higher number of better teams. They have only one win against a P5 and that was over 3-3 FSU.

(Oops....I pretty much just copied what JH said)
historian
Great minds think alike?

Georgia is ranked too high. South Carolina is a bad team and hasn't been good for years.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
PartyBear
10-21 looks about indentical to the coaches poll if I recall the poll exactly. I think it is right as to Baylor and Texas this week. I'm thinking Cincinatti is better than SMU and would beat them if they played tomorrow.
DST
Good for App State. Also about time those cowards ranked Minnesota and the Fightin' Flecks.
MilliVanilli
18, 19, 20 are Rhule, Dykes, Fleck. All coaches thrown around as Baylor's potential hire back in 2016.

ImwithBU
No use in crying about UT ranking. Like I told a TCU fan a few weeks ago when he said our schedule was full of cream puffs. You will get your shot. Want to be ranked ahead of UT, wait until November...
MilliVanilli
John Hawk said:

I hate UT, but... UT's losses were close losses to top 5 teams. Baylor and UT have had a common opponent and UT beat Rice 48-13 to Baylor's 21-13. If Baylor beats OSU by more than 6, then there will be a good argument.
I hear what you're saying.

But although that score was cosmetically close, OU controlled that ball game.
whitetrash
Boise gets ranked high because somebody from G5 is going to get a NY6 bid, whether they deserve it or not. And they and AppSt are the only ones left undefeated.
blackie
John Hawk said:

Score comparison is a poor way of judging teams. Better to judge how they actually play. But to do that you have to actually watch the whole game. Few do that, so they are left to talk about score comparisons which take into account nothing concerning factors which actually cause score differentials.
BUbackerinET
Coache's poll too. 247 projects Alamo Bowl...
John Hawk
Fair enough. I've watched all the games for both teams and UT has been the better team so far. Apparently AP and coaches agree. Now if Baylor can get an offensive rhythm for 4 quarters, they could beat almost anyone.
YoakDaddy
18 is about right. We've played no ranked teams and 2 of those 6 wins were way too close. Glad we're in top 20.
historian
BUbackerinET said:

Coaches' poll too. 247 projects Alamo Bowl...
I'm perfectly happy with that. It is a reasonable and achievable goal.

I'm also fine with the team proving me wrong and exceeding expectations.
MilliVanilli
BUbackerinET said:

Alamo Bowl is our floor if we avoid further major injuries, Sugar Bowl, Big title game, and a possible CFP bowl are all on the table as realities as of this moment, but they can change quick.
Dnicknames
I would rather play in Alamo -where we would pack the house in San Antonio- against a 2nd place Pac12 team.

Playing LSU in a defacto home game for them in the Sugar Bowl...no thank you.
MilliVanilli
Dnicknames said:

I would rather play in Alamo -where we would pack the house in San Antonio- against a 2nd place Pac12 team.

Huh? You never turn down the money, the media exposure and the challenge.

Win that one and you set yourself up on the recruiting trail and in the minds of AP and CFP voters as a contender, something not even a lopsided Alamo Bowl victory will ever do.
GoldenBear007
MilliVanilli said:

BUbackerinET said:

Alamo Bowl is our floor if we avoid further major injuries, Sugar Bowl, Big title game, and a possible CFP bowl are all on the table as realities as of this moment, but they can change quick.
The more we win, the bigger the target on the back. I thought coming into this season, we had a legit shot at a top 3 finish in the conference based on our favorable home/away conference schedule. Rhule has us there. Gotta stay focused every week though. We've seen that there are no easy wins in the Big 12.

I'd love to see some numbers on Brewer's cumulative performance under 2 min in the 4th quarter. He simply turns it on every single time the pressure heats up.
GoldenBear007
Dnicknames said:

I get your standpoint, but give me the bigger bowl every single time. I don't give a flip who the opponent is.
historian
Baylor beat LSU in the 1985 Liberty Bowl but that was long ago (before I was at Baylor) and both teams are very different. I would not mind a rematch.
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

Boise gets ranked high because somebody from G5 is going to get a NY6 bid, whether they deserve it or not. And they and AppSt are the only ones left undefeated.

You forgot SMU. Is there some rule now that the best G5 gets a NY6 bowl if not in the play off?
historian
Good point PartyBear. Of that group, I would think SMU would have the best chance if they keep winning. They certainly have a more impressive schedule.
Timbear
As the season goes on, Iowa St could really help us.
historian
Timbear said:

As the season goes on, Iowa St could really help us.
I agree. Possibly K State too. My thinking is that the best/most realistic outcome for us would be if we win Saturday and the three "States" (ISU, KSU & OSU) win the rest of their games (obviously taking into account the fact that ISU still plays the other 2) then all 3 would probably end the season ranked & get decent bowl bids. That would make our wins over them that much stronger, even with 2 losses in November. We would still be #3 in the conference & therefore probably go to the Alamo Bowl. With a bowl win, we would have 9-11 wins and probably end the year top 10. That may be our best case scenario.
PartyBear
historian said:

Good point PartyBear. Of that group, I would think SMU would have the best chance if they keep winning. They certainly have a more impressive schedule.

Except I think they would lose to Cincy in the conf title game, which would be the only time the two would play this season.
historian
Another good point.

The reality is that this week, like just about every other, will probably produce some upsets. The unpredictability of the game keeps it exciting.
EvilTroyAndAbed
historian said:

Baylor beat LSU in the 1985 Liberty Bowl but that was long ago (before I was at Baylor) and both teams are very different. I would not mind a rematch.
LSU would destroy us this year.
historian
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

historian said:

LSU would destroy us this year.
Maybe. Personally, I'd rather not find out. We are not there yet. Give it a couple years.
Beaneater
Today's Fun Facts:

Ranked Teams by Conference & Winning Overall Record

Sec--6 ranked, 6 teams with a winning record
*5 in top 11; mizzou brings up the rear at 5-1 & #22
secsecsec y'all!
ACC--1/8 (Clemson 3; out: 4-2: Louisville, NCState, Duke, VA, Pitt, VaTech; Wake 5-1)
Big 10--6/9 out: Sparty 4-3, Indiana 4-2, Neb 4-3
Pac 12--4/6 out: Cal 4-2, ASU 5-1
Big 12--3/5 out: ISU 4-2, OSU 4-2
historian
Yes, but there is a strong SEC bias. They often have teams ranked higher than can be justified based upon their current record. Good examples are any time in the past few years that Missouri or South Carolina was ranked. Even now, Georgia is ranked too high considering their loss to a terrible SC team. Auburn is probably also ranked too high although it might be too early to say.

It's similar to the unreasonable expectations for Texas. They beat a bad ND team a few years ago, so "Texas is back, folks!" Even now, with 2 losses they are probably ranked too high.

Even worse, the idiot committee will have the same biases and continue these myths. Supposedly the best teams will get into the playoffs but that's very subjective and does not always happen.
Porteroso
The committee is often idiotic in their reasoning, and we all know they're not super objective, but they do an ok job. And it's easier to have people to be mad at, than a computer. I think I did favor the computer approach though.
boognish_bear
historian said:

Yes, but there is a strong SEC bias. They often have teams ranked higher than can be justified based upon their current record. Good examples are any time in the past few years that Missouri or South Carolina was ranked. Even now, Georgia is ranked too high considering their loss to a terrible SC team. Auburn is probably also ranked too high although it might be too early to say.

It's similar to the unreasonable expectations for Texas. They beat a bad ND team a few years ago, so "Texas is back, folks!" Even now, with 2 losses they are probably ranked too high.

Even worse, the idiot committee will have the same biases and continue these myths. Supposedly the best teams will get into the playoffs but that's very subjective and does not always happen.

The SEC has a combined 11-12 record in the last 2 years worth of bowl games....not exactly dominating for the superior conference....but I know the SEC fans will be quick to say their teams don't try in bowl games if it's anything beneath a NY6.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.