Football
Sponsored by

Clay Johnston injury a huge blow, here's our replacement

3,419 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
kevinwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Clay has been All-American level, with 58 total tackles this year, and the closest to him is 30 tackles by Bernard and 28 by Jordan Williams. God bless him, and may his journey of healing over the next year go well.

His replacement, unless the staff re-positions one of our safeties which I doubt, or re-positions Bernard or our backup SLB Pitre, is:

Matt Jones, 2nd team MLB. Matt's athletic ability very nearly matches Clay's, including his 40 time.

And Matt was an absolute beast as a senior at a 6A TX high school last year.

In case you need an introduction to his "beastness" and body slams, which below is on full display, here it is:

https://247sports.com/Video/Matt-Jones-senior-highlights-8882033/

Stunningly, Matt had 27 tackles for a loss as a Senior, so the talent is there!

He apparently was expected to redshirt as he's only played 2 games this year, with 2 more to give, and word was he had a great Fall camp and really impressed the coaches.

While I believe Matt Jones has the talent and toughness to be All-Conference, he's just a Freshman, and one only needs to look at the improvement from Johnston since his Sophomore year to see how experience and increased strength training is so important for the Middle Linebacker spot.

So, the question is, can Matt be coached up in time to prevent a big drop off for the position. He doesn't have to fill the role of QB on defense, as one of the other LB's can do that -- he just needs to fill the role as MLB.

I think even as a Freshman he can do pretty well, but we'll need to have patience for him to better learn the position and our defense over the next few games. What other good options do we have, anyone know?

Eball
kevinwood said:

Clay has been All-American level, with 58 total tackles this year, and the closest to him is 30 tackles by Bernard and 28 by Jordan Williams. God bless him, and may his journey of healing over the next year go well.

His replacement, unless the staff re-positions one of our safeties which I doubt, or re-positions our backup SLB Pitre, is:

Matt Jones, 2nd team MLB. Matt's athletic ability very nearly matches Clay's, including his 40 time.

And Matt was an absolute beast as a senior at a 6A TX high school last year.

In case you need an introduction to his "beastness" and body slams, which below is on full display, here it is:

https://247sports.com/Video/Matt-Jones-senior-highlights-8882033/

Stunningly, Matt had 27 tackles for a loss as a Senior, so the talent is there!

He apparently was expected to redshirt as he's only played 2 games this year, with 2 more to give, and word was he had a great Fall camp and really impressed the coaches.

While I believe Matt Jones has the talent and toughness to be All-Conference, he's just a Freshman, and one only needs to look at the improvement from Johnston since his Sophomore year to see how experience and increased strength training is so important for the Middle Linebacker spot.

So, the question is, can Matt be coached up in time to prevent a big drop off for the position. He doesn't have to fill the role of QB on defense, as one of the other LB's can do that -- he just needs to fill the role as MLB.

I think even as a Freshman he can do pretty well, but we'll need to have patience for him to better learn the position and our defense over the next few games. What other good options do we have, anyone know?

I feel bad for Clay and am sure his loss will hurt but the great thing is we have depth and players experienced with our defense. TB and Jordan were splitting reps and Jordan has been having some really strong performances. Running with Jordan and TB will not be as big a setback for the defense as some think. Not taking anything away from Clay at all. Losing any of the three starting DL would be a much tougher loss to handle as our depth and experience behind them is not as great. Part of the reason Clay looked so good this year was how everyone else was playing.

I am pretty sure TB moved to Clay's spot after the injury yesterday...someone can correct me if wrong...I don't think Matt got any snaps yesterday. I assume he might get more of look in practice as a backup.
Wichitabear
Put him in and start the engine. We are about to play OSU.
kevinwood
Wichitabear said:

Indeed. Clay Johnston will help tutor him I presume and help get him up to speed.
Kokernot Knucklehead
TB has been getting plenty of snaps at Mike and Will since he arrived in 17.
BearConscious
Pitre, Solomon Turner, and Matt Jones are three LBs Baylor wanted to red shirt this year. Pitre played well in reserve Saturday and I think a redshirt for him is out of the question. I believe Turner is, or was injured. Matt Jones has played in at least one game thus far I think, maybe more. At this point, I think you play Pitre, giving your three LBs (Pitre, Jordan Williams, and Bernard) to play two positions and stay relatively fresh. If the coaches have enough confidence to play Jones and/or Turner, you save them for OU and Texas and whatever other games won't push them over the 4 game limit for a redshirt.

I have my doubts that neither Jones nor Turner have enough experience to not become a liability at this point. Jones played DE a year ago and whatever position Turner played didn't have the same responsibilities that the inside LB positions have at Baylor. A year from now, one or both of those guys might be dynamic players...but not this year.
kevinwood
BearConscious said:

Pitre, Solomon Turner, and Matt Jones are three LBs Baylor wanted to red shirt this year. Pitre played well in reserve Saturday and I think a redshirt for him is out of the question. I believe Turner is, or was injured. Matt Jones has played in at least one game thus far I think, maybe more. At this point, I think you play Pitre, giving your three LBs (Pitre, Jordan Williams, and Bernard) to play two positions and stay relatively fresh. If the coaches have enough confidence to play Jones and/or Turner, you save them for OU and Texas and whatever other games won't push them over the 4 game limit for a redshirt.

I have my doubts that neither Jones nor Turner have enough experience to not become a liability at this point. Jones played DE a year ago and whatever position Turner played didn't have the same responsibilities that the inside LB positions have at Baylor. A year from now, one or both of those guys might be dynamic players...but not this year.
Excellent analysis. Indeed, it will be interesting to see if Jones is redshirted, though my guess is, with Clay out, the team will likely need him more than for just two games, as he has played two games for sure so far. Even if just as a backup to give the starter some rest midgame. We'll see.
BUGWBBear
kevinwood said:

Wichitabear said:

Indeed. Clay Johnston will help tutor him I presume and help get him up to speed.

Good because he's gonna have to step up-fast.
bear2be2
BearConscious said:

You forgot Blake Lynch, but otherwise a really good and thorough look at the current linebacker situation.
boognish_bear
Jacques Strap
Bernard caugh my eye from his first game and I've always liked him. He made early mistatkes like any new player but he also made plays. He has experience now so I'm excited to see him in action.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.