Football
Sponsored by

Week 12 bowl projections

14,876 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by historian
whitetrash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CBS still thinks OU goes to CFP and we get Georgia in the Sugar

ESPN: Bonagura says Alamo vs USC (8-4 at best, and perhaps with a fired coach); Schlabach says Cotton vs, Memphis

SI hasn't updated this week.
BellCountyBear
I'd like a chance at redemption in the Cotton.
MoneyBear
We will have nothing to gain in those last 2 and a lot to lose...

Beating an overrated UGA would be cool tho. Only downside is UT did it last year and they'll have another loss by then in the SEC champ game.
Sic'em
boognish_bear
MoneyBear said:

Beating an overrated UGA would be cool tho. Only downside is UT did it last year and they'll have another loss by then in the SEC champ game.

Agree....Memphis is a very solid team...but we won't gain respect at the level we are trying to get to by beating them...and losing to them would only confirm to the doubters that our impressive won/loss record was due to a "soft" schedule
boognish_bear
Bear8084
A chance for a Cotton Bowl redemption would be amazing. Sic 'Em!
Aliceinbubbleland
boognish_bear said:

MoneyBear said:

Agree....Memphis is a very solid team...but we won't gain respect at the level we are trying to get to by beating them...and losing to them would only confirm to the doubters that our impressive won/loss record was due to a "soft" schedule
Maybe not within our fandom but Memphis is a dangerous opponent. I do not like that matchup.
atomicblast
Be nice to get into that Sugar bowl.
Redbrickbear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

boognish_bear said:

MoneyBear said:

Maybe not within our fandom but Memphis is a dangerous opponent. I do not like that matchup.
Agree.

Honestly I would rather take on Utah or Virginia Tech.....think we beat both of them.

Memphis is salty.
historian
I will take any of them. They are all good bowls and give us a chance for another prominent win.

Yes, Georgia is overrated (has been most of the year) but that's because they are SEC. That is normal. They will still be overrated if we play them in the Sugar. If we beat them, it will still boost are record & we will get positive attention. If OU gets into the playoffs (meaning they beat us again), then they will likely play LSU in the Semis. They will probably lose that one just like the last time they lost to Bama. But they will have a shot & might pull it off. The more Big 12 wins over SEC teams the better--like last year's bowl season.

Facing Memphis in the Cotton Bowl would be fine--I agree with the desire for redemption (IIRC, we have NEVER won that one)--but I would prefer a P5 opponent. Maybe we could get a Big 10 team or another SEC mediocrity (in my mind, they all are mediocre except for Bama & LSU this year).
whitetrash
Redbrickbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

boognish_bear said:

MoneyBear said:

Agree.

Honestly I would rather take on Utah or Virginia Tech.....think we beat both of them.

Memphis is salty.
Top non-P5 is locked in to Cotton Bowl because the other 2 NY6 bowls with open slots are the semifinals this year.
Jack Bauer
Is the winner of Big12 CCG automatically sent to the Sugar Bowl (assuming no CFP bid)?
Shakesbear
HEX TEX! HEX TEX! HEX TEX!
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
historian
Not sure, but I think so. As I understand it, the order is as follows:

Semis: Peach or Fiesta
Sugar
Cotton
Alamo
Camping World
Texas
Liberty
Cheez-It
SERVPRO First Responder

https://big12sports.com/news/2019/5/23/211718886.aspx

The Big 12 won't have 9 teams in bowl games, but will probably have 7-8. If TCU gets another win, they're in. It would be funny if they went to Cheez-It again!
whitetrash
historian said:

Sugar
Cotton
Alamo
Camping World
Texas
Liberty
Cheez-It
SERVPRO First Responder

The Big 12 won't have 9 teams in bowl games, but will probably have 7-8. If TCU gets another win, they're in. It would be funny if they went to Cheez-It again!

Cotton isn't a Big12 Bowl. It's an open NY6. So if OU doesn't make CFP and gets Sugar, Cotton could choose between us, 4th or 5th place SEC, 3rd place B1G or runner up Pac12 if winner doesn't make CFP.
historian
whitetrash said:

Cotton isn't a Big12 Bowl. It's an open NY6. So if OU doesn't make CFP and gets Sugar, Cotton could choose between us, 4th or 5th place SEC, 3rd place B1G or runner up Pac12 if winner doesn't make CFP.
That makes sense. But I would expect them to choose #2 Big 12 which is better than any of the other options.
Self Made Bear
I feel confident that if we beat Texas we will get Cotton if we don't get Sugar. We put a lot of butts in the seats in the Metroplex.
LTbear
Redbrickbear said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

boognish_bear said:

MoneyBear said:

Agree.

Memphis is salty.
Utah is really good
LTbear
whitetrash said:

historian said:

Sugar
Cotton
Alamo
Camping World
Texas
Liberty
Cheez-It
SERVPRO First Responder

I don't know all the SEC tie-ins, but why wouldn't the Cotton have the option of taking SEC #3?
Sailor Bear
Jack Bauer said:

Is the winner of Big12 CCG automatically sent to the Sugar Bowl (assuming no CFP bid)?
Yes. Since it is not a CFP bowl this year, it is automatically Big 12 vs. SEC. OU is likely out of the playoff, IMO. So, the Big 12 championship game is basically a Sugar Bowl semifinal, for the right to play either Bama or Georgia.

whitetrash
historian said:

whitetrash said:

That makes sense. But I would expect them to choose #2 Big 12 which is better than any of the other options.
Not necessarily. The last time Cotton had to take the top G5 (2016) they chose B1G #3 Wisconsin (ranked #8 in CFP) over Big 12 #2 OkSt (ranked #12 in CFP) and WV (ranked #16 in CFP). OkSt went to Alamo and WV to Russell Athletic.

Here's the ominous parallel from 2016 to this season:

CFP was SEC (Bama), ACC (Clemson), B1G (Ohio St), Pac12 (Washington). OU was ranked 7 and left out.

Other NY6 bowls were #5 PennSt v. #8 USC in Rose, #6 Michigan v. #11 FlaSt in Orange, #9 Wisconsin v. #15 (but highest ranked G5) Western Michigan in Cotton. Sugar was #7 OU vs. #14 Auburn. #10 Colorado and #12 OkSt got left out of NY6 and met in Alamo.

In 2016, the rest of the SECSECSEC outside of Bama stunk, much like this year's ACC. No one other than Bama lost fewer than 4 games, but Auburn was guaranteed a NY6 slot as second highest ranked SEC team. This year, there is a >90% chance ACC will have no ranked teams other than Clemson, but ACC is guaranteed a spot in the Orange Bowl nonetheless.

B1G was top heavy in 2016, much like SECSECSEC is this year, with 4 teams winning 10+. That was the year OhioSt made the CFP without winning its division (PennSt beat them and won B1G championship, but OhioSt was ranked higher and PennSt went to Rose). So 4 of the 12 NY6 slots went to B1G (guaranteed Rose to PennSt, guaranteed Orange to Michigan, and open Cotton to Wisconsin).

Even if BU finishes 11-2, if there are 4 SECSECSEC teams ranked higher than BU (and they don't get 2 in the CFP) NY6 could pick all 4 (e.g., LSU to CFP, Bama to Sugar, Florida to Orange, Georgia to Cotton). Similarly, if Oregon and Utah both finish higher than BU and neither makes the CFP, winner would go to Rose and loser could get picked by Cotton. Or if B1G has 3 or 4 teams ranked higher than us (currently OhioSt, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan all are, but OhioSt/Mich and Wisc/Minn still have to play), even if OhioSt makes CFP the next would go to Rose and others available for Cotton.

In 2016, NY6 bowls were obligated to take #15 W Mich and #14 Auburn due to contractual tieins. Also, #11 FlaSt was in due to contractual ties. So #10 Colorado and #12 OkSt were left out of the top 12 bowl slots. This year we know that the G5 champ will be ranked below #12 and a second ACC team may not be ranked at all, but are guaranteed NY6 slots. To be even a favorite for Cotton, BU would have to finish no lower than #10 in the final regular season CFP ranking.

LTbear
Bearish said:

Jack Bauer said:

Yes. Since it is not a CFP bowl this year, it is automatically Big 12 vs. SEC. OU is likely out of the playoff, IMO. So, the Big 12 championship game is basically a Sugar Bowl semifinal, for the right to play either Bama or Georgia.

OU still has a solid chance if they win the Big XII. In that scenario they'd have 3 top 25 wins to Oregon's 1. Possibly 4, if ISU sneaks back in at some point.
whitetrash
One more ominous stat from 2016: WV finished the regular season 10-2, but ranked only #16 in the CFP, and was relegated to Orlando and the Russell Athletic Bowl. However, that year OU and OkSt were ranked higher than WV. This year the only way we could conceivably not be the 2nd highest ranked Big12 team would be to lose 2 more and have OkSt run the table (including beating OU).
DanaDane
We didn't play the Cotton Bowl. We played Michigan St. Getting "redemption" by going to the Cotton Bowl is about as silly of a take as one can make.
Bearsnarl
Agreed. It's about who you play. Look, I am totally interested. But why it is, it is. I bleed enough watching us lose to Okifenoki Sooner Diethanlivethere. I will enjoy us in another bowl. Saw us as the class clowns, doormat, losers too many years not to.

Enjoy! Beat the Shorthorns!!
Bear8084
DanaDane said:

We didn't play the Cotton Bowl. We played Michigan St. Getting "redemption" by going to the Cotton Bowl is about as silly of a take as one can make.

Having a chance to not get embarrassed in a classic bowl like the Cotton sounds like redemption to me.
historian
IIRC, Baylor has never won a Cotton Bowl. It would be great to go there with a chance finally to get the W. Added benefit: lots of Baylor people in the Metroplex.
Shakesbear
whitetrash said:

One more ominous stat from 2016: WV finished the regular season 10-2, but ranked only #16 in the CFP, and was relegated to Orlando and the Russell Athletic Bowl. However, that year OU and OkSt were ranked higher than WV. This year the only way we could conceivably not be the 2nd highest ranked Big12 team would be to lose 2 more and have OkSt run the table (including beating OU).
Just win the next three and let God sort'em out
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
EvilTroyAndAbed
Shakesbear said:

whitetrash said:

Just win the next three and let God sort'em out
We win the next three, and we go to the Sugar Bowl.
EvilTroyAndAbed
If we play Memphis in the Cotton Bowl, there is a good chance they will have an interim coach. Pretty sure Norvell will take a P5 job before that game.
Booray
Bearish said:

Jack Bauer said:

Utah and Oregon on the road this week against the Arizona schools. One of them gets upset, but then beats the other in the PAC 12 CCG.

PSU loses to tOSU on Nov. 23

Wisconsin beats Minnesota or tOSU beats Minnesota.

Auburn beats a Tua-less Bama.

LSU thrashes UGA in the SEC CCG.

BU beats OU in the BIg 12 CCG 34-31 with a stirring second-half comeback.

13-0 LSU, 13-0 tOSU, 13-0 Clemson and ?
EvilTroyAndAbed
whitetrash said:

Texas could also win out, and we could lose two, and OU could beat OSU. Then Texas would go to the championship game ..... I think.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Booray said:

Bearish said:

Jack Bauer said:

Utah and Oregon on the road this week against the Arizona schools. One of them gets upset, but then beats the other in the PAC 12 CCG.

PSU loses to tOSU on Nov. 23

Wisconsin beats Minnesota or tOSU beats Minnesota.

Auburn beats a Tua-less Bama.

LSU thrashes UGA in the SEC CCG.

BU beats OU in the BIg 12 CCG 34-31 with a stirring second-half comeback.

13-0 LSU, 13-0 tOSU, 13-0 Clemson and ?
Aberzombie1892
Baylor has no shot at the Cotton Bowl. If Baylor wins the Big 12, it's going to the Sugar Bowl, and, if Baylor beats Texas and Kansas and loses to OU, it will probably be ranked outside the top 12. That doesn't even contemplate whether there would be an at-large P5 ranked higher than Baylor - something that appears to be a foregone conclusion at this point.
historian
All this speculation only proves we really have no idea what's going to happen post season. One thing I think is fairly certain: we will beat Kansas & have our 10th win. We also have a very real shot at winning Saturday over Texas & a chance to beat OU in the game that matters more: Big 12 title match.

Here's what is really crazy about this year: preseason most were thinking the Alamo Bowl was best case scenario now it looks like it might be the worst case scenario!

And there are Frog or Cow trolls on these boards criticizing Coach Rhule & Coach Snow!! Or at least they are acting the part.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.