Football
Sponsored by

Clay Johnston college career over?

4,365 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
atomicblast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He's a senior right? Does he get like a medical excuse for another season?
historian
Assuming he wanted to play another year after graduating instead of getting on with his life.
Johnny Bear
I admittedly don't know exactly what qualifies for a medical redshirt, but my hunch is his injury occurred too deep into the season for it to be an option.
ScottS
He should apply!!!
Baylor187
I don't believe he would qualify for medical redshirt. My understanding is that a player must have played in 4 games or less, and this injury occurred in game 6.
ScottS
I think it could still apply. Almost daily, sports media is saying we didn't play anyone in the first 3 games. You've heard it for sure...only 7 combined wins. Its like if we aren't playing NFL teams they complain about our schedule.
Wineguy89
Can't have played in more than 30% of the season or 3 games. Wish he could apply but he cannot sadly. Hope he heals up and gets a shot somewhere in the NFL.
Mitch Blood Green
ScottS said:

He should apply!!!

Why? He could go pro.
BUBear24
No I think with his father being an NFL trainer for so long, I'm sure they're rehabbing to get ready for NFL tryouts.
Shakesbear
Wineguy89 said:

Can't have played in more than 30% of the season or 3 games. Wish he could apply but he cannot sadly. Hope he heals up and gets a shot somewhere in the NFL.
But you can play in 4 games and still be redshirted???
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Mike E
He could try but I doubt he'd want to. He's ready to go pro (development wise) and will have interest from NFL teams.
Wineguy89
Shakesbear said:

Wineguy89 said:

I didn't write the rules brother, just looked it up and passed it along.....
Shakesbear
Wineguy89 said:

Shakesbear said:

Wineguy89 said:

Not trying to say you're wrong, just that it doesn't make much sense if you can play in 4 games and still redshirt
BUBear24
Shakesbear said:

Wineguy89 said:

Shakesbear said:

Wineguy89 said:

Not trying to say you're wrong, just that it doesn't make much sense if you can play in 4 games and still redshirt

"Medical redshirts are approved for players who meet strict criteria: They must have suffered the season-ending injury during the first half of the season, and they could not have played in more than three games before sustaining the injury."

From NCAA.
Malbec
He has already used his redshirt year, which under rule 12.8.1.5.1.2 is among the circumstances "within control" of the student-athlete or the institution. That disqualifies Johnston for a waiver of the Five-Year Rule and makes the participatory threshold moot.
Grizz Air
He is going to try for the NFL.
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
historian
Of course he is. Why wouldn't he?
Media Bear
historian said:

Of course he is. Why wouldn't he?
The Spanish Inquisition. Because nobody expects it.

C'mon Historian ... I mean you of all people ...

Shakesbear
BUBear24 said:

Shakesbear said:

Wineguy89 said:

Shakesbear said:

Wineguy89 said:

"Medical redshirts are approved for players who meet strict criteria: They must have suffered the season-ending injury during the first half of the season, and they could not have played in more than three games before sustaining the injury."

From NCAA.

Thanks for making my point. " Injury must have happened in the 1st half of the season (6 games), but no more than 3 games ( wtheck, who plays a 6 game season )
Mitch Blood Green
Grizz Air said:

He is going to try for the NFL.

As he should. It's time for him to move on. (One of the best I've seen).

He has a chance to make an NFL paycheck for the next 5 years then get on with his life. That's a great post college start.
boognish_bear
atomicblast
Really happy seeing this. Had to be devastating, suffering this blowback in the final year, specially when he was such a hugh contributor.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.