Football
Sponsored by

ZENO===WOW!

6,373 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ursus Americanus
longtimebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice Arm and comfortable looking in the pocket.
I Like !
Jorkel
I think that GB will eventually lose the starting battle with him. Zeno just seems like a better QB.
Ursus Americanus
Some talk of him jumping Gerry on the depth chart and Gerry switching to runningback, spring will tell.
LTbear
Amazing arm for sure. How is his running ability?
DaRealBears
I hope Gerry stays with the program if he does eventually lose out to Zeno. 11-1 and a top 10 program should certainly help motivate him to stay, unless he has his heart set on being a qb. I was watching sporadically on my phone but do have to admit I was a little surprised at the passing (thinking Gerry was still in the game) before realizing Zeno went in.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Jorkel said:

I think that GB will eventually lose the starting battle with him. Zeno just seems like a better QB.

Zeno throwing against third string KU. Slow your roll.
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Jorkel said:

Ha. No kidding. Either way, they have to find a way for Gerry to play. He's insanely talented and he's going to be tempted into transferring to Arkansas since he could start with little competition as of now.
Jorkel
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Jorkel said:

I've seen Gary throw, I've seen Zeno throw. One looks like a true QB. The other looks like an athlete trying to play QB.
Big_Pumpin
You can see the zip on his ball during warmups. But there's more to playing quarterback than zip.
hodedofome
Yeah at this stage I'd have to think Zeno is our next QB, but I'd hate Bohanon to leave.
Jorkel said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Jorkel said:

I've seen Gary throw, I've seen Zeno throw. One looks like a true QB. The other looks like an athlete trying to play QB.
Well then send Matt Rhule an email with the link to your comment and I'm sure he'll make changes accordingly.

Matt_Rhule@baylor.edu
EvilTroyAndAbed
Jorkel said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Jorkel said:

Who's Gary?
Jorkel said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Jorkel said:

Also, be sure to specify you're referencing GARY. G-A-R-Y.
Jorkel
365 said:

Jorkel said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Jorkel said:

Also, be sure to specify you're referencing GARY. G-A-R-Y.

Gerry* my bad
Dia del DougO
Prior to today I had only watched Zeno in pregame warmups. He certainly looks like a prospect that fits the suit of a 4 star guy. I'm looking forward to seeing him play more next season and on.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
REvansBU71
Let's have them both in the game at the same time.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
joseywales
He is being called a beast in practice..take a look at his hs film .he will be the starter when Charlie leaves and could be 2nd strong after spring and fall. He is a stud..
BaylorLit 01
I don't like how Gerry makes us one dimensional. He's not a threat to throw when he's in; if he plays against OU, they'll crowd the box.
CoachHBU2008
Love the enthusiasm for Zeno. I think he will be a great qb, but pump the breaks. Just couple weeks ago some on the forum were calling for Gerry to immediately replace Charlie for the rest of the season. Now Zeno throws 4 passes against the 3rd string defense of a 3 win Kansas team and now Gerry should move to running back or transfer? Let's slow down on our assessments. There is no tangible evidence that Zeno right now is a better qb than Gerry. On top of that Gerry is being asked to run a specific style of the offense when he goes in the game. It is clear they want him to run the ball when he is in there because when he is in the game, he is there for critical plays in the game at times when the games are still up for grabs.

Everything that I have heard from Rhule and have read about both qbs progress is that everyone is impressed with Gerry as a quarterback in practices. Glen Thomas in an interview without provocation said that he was overly impressed with his acumen and throwing ability and was the most improved quarterback during spring. And the last time they both competed for the number 2 spot, Gerry had some wondering if he could force the team to go two qbs like they did the first two years with no mention of Zeno.

This is not to poo poo on Zeno. Watching his high school tape he is an awesome prospect and is probably the best natural thrower of the football out of all the quarterbacks in the room. But I'm not going to make any hot takes about him superseding Gerry after watching a Kansas game in which Gerry was throwing into a 20 mph wind on his 4 pass attempts and with two of Zeno's pass attempts being swing passes. This may all change in the spring but let it play out. Charlie is the guy next year anyway. What are we really talking about here? Both players have a lot of room for improvement and if the coaches are smart, no matter who takes over after Charlie is done, they will shape the offense based off of what that qb does best. I can see Bohannon being successful in a Lamar Jackson type offense, just like I can see Zeno being successful in a pro style spread drop back offense. Either way fans should be excited about what we have behind center for the next handful of years.
Baylorguymanbear
Both were elite 11 qbs. You don't get that distinction without having legit arm talent.

When it's time, it will come down to who has a better understanding of the system.

snarebear55
As of now Zeno certainly looks like the Brewer successor. But that's who do I trust now, not in the future. There's still 2 seasons worth of development for these two. Watching Bohanon in limited sample size, he certainly has the size, arm strength, and running ability that can excel in college, and a terribly inaccurate arm. But who's to say he can't develop that in 2 years time.

What it will really come down to is who can read defenses and find the open receivers better. And given the opponents and opportunities, we really have no data on that. We have no clue if Zeno can pick the right read against competent opponents. Bohanan either. I expect a dogfight in the future between these two.
DanaDane
Both have good arms. Most 4 and 5 star QBs do. Lot of strong arm all stars spend their careers on the sidelines, rarely ever seeing the field. What separates the flops from the all conference guys is the ability to make appropriate on-field decisions. We really haven't seen either one put in a place where they had to do that yet for a meaningful amount of time.
longtimebear
All I was trying to point out is how well he stood in the pocket and delivered tight spiral passes on target. My guess is he can do that against a first team group as well.
BaylorLit 01
To my eyes, Charlie has a little more quickness and wiggle than Gerry.
Shakesbear
BaylorLit 01 said:

I don't like how Gerry makes us one dimensional. He's not a threat to throw when he's in; if he plays against OU, they'll crowd the box.

His job was to eat clock and not turn it over. He can throw.
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Shakesbear
Big_Pumpin said:

You can see the zip on his ball during warmups. But there's more to playing quarterback than zip.

Zeno also had a 30 mph wind at his back in the fourth
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Jorkel
Zeno is going to make GB transfer or change positions.
Night and day difference in arm talent and accuracy.
CoachHBU2008
Jorkel said:

After seeing this he is a player and very well could be the next in line. Wish they would have run him a little more towards the end to keep OU off balance. They did nothing but send blitzes with no qb spy on him. The offensive play calling got a little too predictable in OT.

By the way Platt pre knee surgery would have housed that wheel route. Overall, I'm proud of the guys. Showed some real grit. They have nothing to be ashamed of. I love this team. Look forward to the development of Zeno.
jumpinjoe
What is Zeno's redshirt status? Has he been in enough games to lose it if he plays in the bowl?
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Jorkel
jumpinjoe said:

What is Zeno's redshirt status? Has he been in enough games to lose it if he plays in the bowl?

I think he can play in the bowl game and still maintain redshirt eligibility
DaRealBears
jumpinjoe said:

No, this was only his 2nd game to play in
Yogi
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Dia del DougO
I would actually be looking forward to the Spring game if the green-white thing hadn't become such a farce the last few years.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
GruntTuff
CoachHBU2008 said:

Jorkel said:

After seeing this he is a player and very well could be the next in line. Wish they would have run him a little more towards the end to keep OU off balance. They did nothing but send blitzes with no qb spy on him. The offensive play calling got a little too predictable in OT.

By the way Platt pre knee surgery would have housed that wheel route. Overall, I'm proud of the guys. Showed some real grit. They have nothing to be ashamed of. I love this team. Look forward to the development of Zeno.

100% true about Platt. I told my wife the same thing.
Quinton
CoachHBU2008 said:

Jorkel said:

Couldn't believe he got run down but didn't think of that at the time. Think he would have made it had he angled. He had the whole width to angle in but Im sure he is not used to being tracked down.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.