Football
Sponsored by

Another Matt Rhule Story

2,461 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HunterBear
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, because I don't have permission to say who this is, I'm just going to use generic names. I have a very good friend who is a pretty well-known high school football coach. Sends a lot of kids to D1. Anyway, this coach is a UT grad, UT football alum an orange all day. When we hired Rhule, he chuckled to me "You think New York is going to recruit real well down here?" I shot back that he had hired some true Texas guys in Joey, Wetzel, Bell, etc. He said "Yeah, those are good dudes, but at the end of the day, are kids going to want to play for New York? If they want that kind of thing, they can go to Notre Dame or USC." I let it go.

Anyway, this morning I was having coffee with another guy and my friend the coach comes over and sits down. Remember, this is a UT guy. He says "I just want to tell you something. I know you remember when I laughed about "New York" coming to Texas to recruit. Well, I've had a chance to meet Coach Rhule. Not only that, I've had a chance to talk to a lot of other Texas high-school football coaches about Coach Rhule. I was dead-ass wrong. The time that he has poured into our coaches, the access he has given us, the was his staff is focused on pouring back into the game...its important what he's doing. I don't have to tell you that coaching is a tough, results oriented game. And a lot of high-school football coaches, including me, have wondered why we're doing this. Parents have become hard to deal with. Sportsmanship is at an all-time low. The very idea that you're doing this job for the kids seemed like a joke. It's not a joke to Coach Rhule. You guys should be very, very proud of your program right now. I really mean that."

I thought I'd pop, especially since the guy I was eating with is a big Ag. No words were said about Jimbo.

Guys, this is why character matters. I'd say "It's important to the game" but the game is only important for the good it can do in people's lives. THAT is what people are sensing out of our coaching staff right now. A good thing is happening in coaching right now in Texas, and our coach is at the forefront.
McCavebear
Rhule is for real!

Sic 'em!
McCavebear Lives!
Russell Gym
A lot of people don't believe that character doesn't matter, that good guys can't win ... don't have enough edge.

Rhule dispels that myth.
OsoCoreyell
Russell Gym said:

A lot of people don't believe that character doesn't matter, that good guys can't win ... don't have enough edge.

Rhule dispels that myth.
It's so funny to hear Coach Rhule explain things, like "why it is important to congratulate your opponents" that, a generation ago, were simply understood. When he explained that on Feinbaum, and everybody gushed, it was almost surreal.
historian
BAYLOR RHULES TEXAS!

(TV announcers words after the Baylor-Texas game, November 23)
southtexasbear
Great story. Thanks for sharing
Grizz Air
Nice insight into Rhules mind and the culture he is creating. Thanks!
Russell Gym said:

Rhule dispels that myth.
Yup!

You can see it in how his players behave. Rhule leads by his actions on and off the field, and doesn't tolerate any bad dudes either.
historian
And it's a Christian example. He makes no bones about his faith and how he was called to be at Baylor, this is where God wants him, & so on.
longtimebear
AMEN and AMEN !!!
HunterBear
I would be interested in seeing/hearing/reading Teaff's thoughts about Rhule and what he's doing with this program. Seems like both of them are similar in a lot ways.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.