Football
Sponsored by

"Matt Rhule Will Almost Definitely Be an NFL Coach Next Year."

20,285 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/11/nfl-head-coaching-carousel-matt-rhule-mailbag

What the hell is plan B? Blake Anderson or Sonny Dykes? I'm sure Anderson is a great guy. He certainly sounds like a coach when speaking, but his teams consistently struggle in non-con and bowl games. Dykes is all Sunny and no D. Rhule's entire staff would be gone to the NFL, meaning no Snow.

I'm not saying it's time to panic, but it might be time to panic!

SIC EM 94
Sports Illustrated should stick to being a swimsuit magazine, they know very little when it comes to actual sports!
doctorcocktor
shieeeet
Jack Bauer
If the Jets or Giants are looking for a new coach...be worried.
SIC EM 94 said:

Sports Illustrated should stick to being a swimsuit magazine, they know very little when it comes to actual sports!
As opposed to the majority of this board who knew Rhule would have Baylor in the top 10 after that 1-11 year? He may stay, he may go.

But if the Giants give him whatever he wants, why would he turn it down given that he's from New York and might never get that kind of offer again? He'll have the ability to immediately turn his entire college staff into NFL assistants, significantly increasing their future head coaching prospects (at the NFL and college levels), especially guys like Nixon, Joey Mac, Cooper, etc.
doctorcocktor said:

shieeeet
I was partially just looking for an excuse to use that Baylor Line GIF. But Jack Bauer is correct. Be worried if/when the Giants/Jets jobs open.

historian
Weren't the Jets talking to him last year with him responding "NO"?

There is no point panicking because it will accomplish nothing. And this report is just a bunch of speculation in a mailbag page.
Jack Bauer
I saw one site had these coaches ranked on the hot seat.

#5 Giants
#8 Jets

9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
This was written by a guy that depends on his wife's essential oil business to pay the rent of his studio apartment in southern Illinois. If he had any insight on real world matters at all he wouldn't be writing articles for $200/week.
Bear8084
We're worried...why? Because a SI hack just makes a guess if he will be gone or not with no real facts behind that said guess? Did some just forget all that CMR has been saying lately and getting out in front of these speculations way early?

And don't forget the newly signed contract and huge buyout he agreed to.
BUbackerinET
Right, and the buyout would allow us to reload nicely
SIC EM 94
"Almost definitely"...give me a freaking break!
DanaDane
I stopped listening to SI when they put James Lynch on 2nd team all-American. Idiots.
Feel The Floyd
Jack Bauer said:

What about Jacksonville? Would Tom Coughlin call him?
BUBBFAN
Jack Bauer said:

I would not be worried even a little bit.
BUBBFAN
Feel The Floyd said:

Jack Bauer said:

What about Jacksonville? Would Tom Coughlin call him?
This would not worry me either.
greatdivide
He's not going anywhere
4th and Inches
Stop reading that trash... Rhule aint leaving. He saw that Briles alMost got in and this team was a couple plays away from undefeated and a playoff berth... He is gonna start closing the big fish to finish this recruiting class and make a run at the Natty again next year.

These coaches love it here!
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
clubhi said:

This was written by a guy that depends on his wife's essential oil business to pay the rent of his studio apartment in southern Illinois. If he had any insight on real world matters at all he wouldn't be writing articles for $200/week.
This was very specific. Must know more.
historian said:

Weren't the Jets talking to him last year with him responding "NO"?

There is no point panicking because it will accomplish nothing. And this report is just a bunch of speculation in a mailbag page.
He said no b/c Jets management wanted to have the final say on his assistants. Jets fans have been *****ing about it since. Gase is likely getting fired after his first year, and they'll offer Rhule anything he wants.

I think it's clear Rhule eventually wants to be an NFL coach. He's in a position now to set his own price, hire/fire whomever he wants, and possibly have a significant say in player personnel as well. Those opportunities don't come along often. Remember, Penn State was in the exact same spot with O'Brien. To act as if it's out of the question is delusional.
Whiskey Pete
How many of these dumb threads are going to be started... geeesh.
HashTag said:

How many of these dumb threads are goint to be started... geeesh.
Wineguy89
365 said:

HashTag said:

Stop trolling idiot. For the love of God have you actually listened to anything CMR has said lately? Start with the Finebaum interview where he FINALLY said/admitted he's better suited for college coaching and leading/developing young men than the pros.

If you want to get your panties in a wad about it, have at it. Ignore what's been SAID. Everyone here always *****es that our coaches never FIRMLY say enough that they want to be here enough and aren't leaving. Rhule has actually done that and here you go again panicking.

He's not leaving now. Period. Get a grip and try to enjoy yourselves for a change. SMH......
Whiskey Pete
Wineguy89 said:

365 said:

HashTag said:

Stop trolling idiot. For the love of God have you actually listened to anything CMR has said lately? Start with the Finebaum interview where he FINALLY said/admitted he's better suited for college coaching and leading/developing young men than the pros.

If you want to get your panties in a wad about it, have at it. Ignore what's been SAID. Everyone here always *****es that our coaches never FIRMLY say enough that they want to be here enough and aren't leaving. Rhule has actually done that and here you go again panicking.

He's not leaving now. Period. Get a grip and try to enjoy yourselves for a change. SMH......
Yeah.... the OP is a troll (probably Tcu). Constantly trying to throw mentions about "if" Rhule leaves/when Rhule leavs... players leaving early, etc...

hey Troll, get a life
Whiskey Pete
365 said:

HashTag said:

Let me guess, you're going to start all 20 of them, right? Get a life
historian
I wonder how many people who are now panicking about the possibility he might bolt for the NFL were saying all kinds of asinine/snide things about him 2 years ago? There was "Little Matty", "Jersey" & so on along with plenty of nitpicking criticism as if we were going to win the Big 12 a year after the fake scandal created in Austin.
BoonDockSaint
I dont expect him to leave at this point...

He has a chance to build something REALLY special here and not have a short leash...

Basically if his wife and kid love it in Waco...his kid can have stability that he won't have if he bolts to NFL

slimecap

No panic ... we are chillaxin

Sailor Bear
Did I miss it? It's a compelling headline, but this was a dude responding to a bunch of Twitter questions about NFL jobs. He says, "Rhule will almost definitely be an NFL coach," but offers no argument as to why that may be, aside from mentioning his name as a possible candidate for a bunch of jobs.

I'm sorry, but I've learned to trust the words coming out of Rhule's mouth with this stuff. What he has said this year is pretty clear: No college program is going to get him and it's not the right time for the NFL. I don't need a Twitter mailbag story to convince me otherwise.
4th and Inches
BoonDockSaint said:

I dont expect him to leave at this point...

He has a chance to build something REALLY special here and not have a short leash...

Basically if his wife and kid love it in Waco...his kid can have stability that he won't have if he bolts to NFL

kids...he has a son and two daughters.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Jacques Strap
The problem with this article is it comes during the recruiting period and will be used against CMR and Baylor.
historian
I'm not worried at all. As long as he has success, especially the dramatic kind of success we are enjoying, there will be talk. We might as well get used to it. CMR has repeatedly been clear that he's staying. He has plenty of intangible reasons to stay and the only reason to leave would be greed. Considering how much he is making for Baylor, after awhile that should be less of an argument--especially considering the intangibles (& how much the IRS takes from high income earners).

He has unfinished business and wants to see it through. And after we when a Natty (if we do), then he might be so thoroughly in love with Baylor that he will stick around anyway--and maybe seek a repeat. We could easily have him for 20-30 years.

As for recruiting, CMR & staff have proven repeatedly that they can bring in great talent and top recruiting classes. I see no reason to doubt that this will continue.
corncob pipe
BUBear24
Jacques Strap said:

The problem with this article is it comes during the recruiting period and will be used against CMR and Baylor.

With the list of 2020 kids coming this weekend I wouldn't worry too much
Wineguy89
Jacques Strap said:

I think the kids coming in will be listening directly to CMR and not a clickbait SI article. And being on the hot seat doesn't hurt Hermensa much does it?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.