Football
Sponsored by

Possible candidates to replace Rhule: Heupel, Anderson, Dykes, etc.

14,474 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boognish_bear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Baylor coaching candidates: Sonny Dykes, Blake Anderson, Josh Heupel lead replacements for Matt Rhule

By Barrett Sallee 37 mins ago
Matt Rhule is leaving his post as coach at Baylor to take over the NFL's Carolina Panthers, according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora and multiple media reports. In three seasons at the helm of the Bears, Rhule dug Baylor out of the ashes left from the sexual assault scandal that took place under Art Briles and built a program that played on conference championship weekend this season with a potential College Football Playoff berth staring it in the face.

In three seasons, Rhule took Baylor from one win to seven wins to 11 wins, finishing his three-year stint in Waco, Texas, with the best 19-20 record you'll ever see. Amid an ongoing NCAA investigation, the Bears now have to find a second coach with a high ceiling willing to come in and steer the program through a difficult period in its history.

The private university has shown a willingness to pay -- Rhule's salary is believed to be among the 10 highest in the nation, according to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd -- but with Rhule leaving after the early signing period and with just a few weeks until National Signing Day, Baylor is going to have to move fast to retain its recruiting class and close strong ahead of 2020.

Who is in line to take the keys and kick the program into overdrive? Let's break down some of the top candidates.

Sonny Dykes, SMU coach: Dykes has Power Five experience from his time at California from 2013-16, but the most important bullet point on his resume is his 15-11 record -- including a 10-3 mark in 2019 -- in two-plus seasons at SMU. It was the first double-digit win season for the Mustangs since 1984 -- two seasons before the NCAA brought down the hammer with the "death penalty." The Texas-native would check every box that Baylor should have on its list. He also interviewed for the Missouri job when current Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades was with the Tigers, so there is familiarity here.

Blake Anderson, Arkansas State coach: Anderson has led the Red Wolves to a bowl game in each of his six seasons at the helm and won Sun Belt titles in 2015 and 2016. He also holds a 36-12 record in conference play since 2014. Not only does Anderson have a track record of sustained success, he has ties to the state of Texas from his days as a quarterback and wide receiver at Sam Houston State, and he's established relationships within the state due to the emphasis he has put on it for recruiting during his time at Arkansas State. He may be a native of Arkansas, but a Power Five job like Baylor would be alluring, and Anderson has the character that the Bears should be seeking out in this search.

Josh Heupel, UCF coach: Heupel, a former Oklahoma quarterback, is 22-4 in two seasons with the Knights and led the program to a 12-0 regular season in his first season in 2018 before losing to LSU in the Fiesta Bowl. He runs a wide open offense that will play well at Baylor and has an aggressive defense similar to the one that helped Baylor earn a spot in the Big 12 Championship Game in 2019. The former OU assistant (2006-14) has experience recruiting Texas and the bonafides to be a success in the job.

Joey McGuire and Jeff Nixon, Baylor assistant coaches: McGuire fits the Briles mold of joining Baylor after being a successful head coach at the high school level. He won three Texas state titles in 14 seasons at Cedar Hill and joined Rhule's staff in Year 1, getting promoted to associate head coach this season. Is an ascension to head coach next? Nixon is the Bears' co-offensive coordinator and a long-term Rhule assistant with NFL experience. Both men are in-house candidates to take over for Rhule and would provide continuity for recruiting while also attempting to keep the team headed in the right direction.

Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech coach: Yes, it might seem like a lateral move for Fuente to make this jump, but it's probably more accurate to call it a "soft landing spot." He won the ACC Coastal in 2016, but VT hasn't returned to the ACC Championship Game since despite playing in the downtrodden division. Despite that, he's still 33-20 in four seasons and could be looking for greener pastures since the pressure at Virginia Tech might be building in the near future. Fuente spent five years coaching at TCU (2007-11) and is from Oklahoma, so he's familiar with the recruiting area.

Luke Fickell, Cincinnati coach: Fickell has been wildly successful at Cincinnati, posting a 26-13 record in three seasons in charge. Not only does he have back-to-back 11-win seasons on his resume, but he has Power Five experience as the bridge between Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer at Ohio State in 2011. He doesn't have ties to the region, but Baylor didn't seem to care when it hired Rhule, who himself came in as an "outsider."

Bryan Harsin, Boise State coach: It would take the right Power Five job to get Harsin away from his alma mater -- especially since he's 64-17 in six seasons and shows no signs of slowing down. But he was the offensive coordinator at Texas from 2011-12 and dipped into the state to recruit when he was the head coach at Arkansas State in 2013.

Tom Allen, Indiana coach: Allen just led the Hoosiers to their first eight-win season since 1993, and he was rewarded with a contract extension. But getting out of the Big Ten East in favor of the Big 12 -- where it's easier to win a conference title -- might be attractive to a coach who has a track record of getting the most out of his players.
TeamPlayer
All 3 would be enormous whiffs and would send me into counseling.
BUBear24
#TeamJoey
Doc Holliday
It's really a bad time to search for a head coach.
boognish_bear
Doc Holliday said:

It's really a bad time to search for a head coach.
Agreed....makes it more tempting to stay in house with McGuire.

I have faith in Rhoades...if he believes McGuire is the man I will trust him on that.
TxSportsAgent
Put me in the Josh Heupel camp.
Branch155
Fickell and Harsin are the only ones on the list that interest me. With Heupel, I worry that he is benefiting from Frost's recruits
boognish_bear
My fear with Heupel if he comes here and has success would be that we are just giving him on the job training to take OU when Lincoln leaves...

It would be an exciting brand of football to watch for sure.
pwactwac
Lets go land Fickell. He has knocked it out of the park with what he has...
TxSportsAgent
UCF did have the #1 recruiting class in the AAC last year, with JH as head coach. Worth mentioning, I think. Bringing him to Texas, he could be a better recruiter than Rhule.
PLSQL_BEAR
Maybe not this hire, but we should keep an eye on how well Jeff Taylor does at UTSA.
Bigkahunaww
What do you all think about Kellen Moore ?

I'm a HUGE Dallas cowboys hater, but I'm thinking this guy would be a good fir.
Knows mobile QBs
Has NFL experience.
Runs a pro style offense.

Biggest drawback I see is he may not stay around for more then three years.
Baylor could throw enough money at him, and he's soon to be unemployed " Possibly?

Other wise I would much rather have Joey McGuire.
Try to keep Snow and let Jeff Nixon follow Ruhle to Carolina.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
JohnProctor
TxSportsAgent said:

I second that. Sonny Dykes as #2 (I was against him the last time but he can coach a little apparently). Those two will fix the offense and hopefully keep the defense as is.
boognish_bear
Keeping McGuire probably gives us the best chance of keeping current players and recruits happy...fwiw

ImABearToo
As with Rhule, Mack likely already has a few options on speed dial. I trust his judgement, only hope is that we land a coach that's from here and plans to stay here.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
blackie
Why on earth would anyone want Heupel? Dykes doesn't give me any confidence either....especially on defense. And this writer lost any credibility by mentioning Nixon.
CorsicanaBear
I do not think that the new coach will be internal. It will be a G5 HC with a track record and he will want his staff in place (all the way down to the S & C coach) so things will be done his way.
Illigitimus non carborundum
TeamPlayer
Bigkahunaww said:

What do you all think about Kellen Moore ?

I'm a HUGE Dallas cowboys hater, but I'm thinking this guy would be a good fir.
Knows mobile QBs
Has NFL experience.
Runs a pro style offense.

Biggest drawback I see is he may not stay around for more then three years.
Baylor could throw enough money at him, and he's soon to be unemployed " Possibly?

Other wise I would much rather have Joey McGuire.
Try to keep Snow and let Jeff Nixon follow Ruhle to Carolina.
I like Kellen Moore. He isn't unemployed. He is currently deciding between OC offers with the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Huskies.

He is probably a better fit long term for the Pacific NW. I wouldn't be opposed to Baylor hiring him, but he's probably not ready for that.
blackie
CorsicanaBear said:

I do not think that the new coach will be internal. It will be a G5 HC with a track record and he will want his staff in place (all the way down to the S & C coach) so things will be done his way.
Which certainly means the defense is back to square one (not very good)....No?
boognish_bear
ImABearToo said:

As with Rhule, Mack likely already has a few options on speed dial. I trust his judgement, only hope is that we land a coach that's from here and plans to stay here.
This is really the first time we've been through this....agree...I would love to find someone that we have the potential of nailing down long term...our football version for Scott Drew.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

our football version for Scott Drew.
Exactly what I thought (was hoping) Rhule was when he was hired.
CorsicanaBear
blackie said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Which certainly means the defense is back to square one (not very good)....No?
Don't know. Depends on who the new coach brings in as DC. Snow will be leaving with Rhule so that's gone no matter what.
Bear8084
I trust Rhoades to make the right hire. I am not completely sold on McGuire due to lack of experience, even if he has been a great coach so far. Kellen Moore seems too inexperienced also and really sounds like people just throwing names to a wall and see what sticks. Blake Anderson wouldn't be a bad hire IMO, and maybe Heupel, though I think he would be eyeing OU of and when Riley leaves.
Baylor Pride
Willie Fritz, Tulane, should be included on that list.
Baylor Alum - Class of '99
dave714
TxSportsAgent said:

Yes
CorsicanaBear
KWTX posts this about coaching search.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Candidates-emerge-in-Baylor-coaching-search-566779281.html

Includes statement that McGuire has been named interim head coach.
PartyBear
Do we have just two candidates?
Doc Holliday
CorsicanaBear said:

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Candidates-emerge-in-Baylor-coaching-search-566779281.html

Quote:

As far as candidates outside of Baylor, KWTX has been informed by the same source University of Louisiana at Lafayette's Billy Napier is a favorite.

Chamberman
PartyBear said:

Do we have just two candidates?
Well them and Jason Garrett.
RegentCoverup
Heupel has bad blood for Stoops, he might be motivated by revenge, just FYI.
CorsicanaBear
I have never known any of the local TV stations to be "in the know" regarding Baylor insider stuff.

ESPN Central Texas depends for their existence on access to Baylor and will not rock the boat.

So we'll probably know what's happening when the hiring announcement is made.
boognish_bear
Here are a few more names getting tossed out...

[Sorry....I just saw Hugh Freeze on this list....ain't a chance in hell BU would consider bringing anyone with a hint of scandal....I think many writers just pull out names of HCs with good records for the most part]

Branch155
I hesitate to post this article from footballscoop.com. Take it for what it costs you.

https://footballscoop.com/news/early-update-at-baylor/

To summarize the rumored targets: Blake Anderson, Billy Napier, or...Larry Fedora. Other names mentioned: Seth Littrell and Hugh Freeze.

If it's Fedora, I'm not sure firing is a harsh enough punishment for Rhoades. Freeze has about as much baggage as Briles. Littrell had 2 good seasons at NTU, then went 4-8 this year. Anderson has done well at Arky State, but I don't know if he's ready for the next step. Napier has done well at ULa, but it's a short track record. I do like his Dabo/Saban coaching tree.

Of that group, which I don't love, give me Napier. Maybe Anderson. Rock hard pass on the others
whitetrash
Doc Holliday said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

As far as candidates outside of Baylor, KWTX has been informed by the same source University of Louisiana at Lafayette's Billy Napier is a favorite.

FWIW I was quite impressed w UL-L's performance last night
PartyBear
Hueple would be a terrible hire. UCF is declining under him and he sounds like and has the antics of a 40 something year old version of Boss Hogg when he talks including the spitting during the talking. If we even talk to Hugh Freeze Rhoades isnt one of the top ADs as I have been thinking he was.

We should be going for Luke Fickel.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.