Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Statements from Rhoades, Livingstone on Baylor football coaching search

January 7, 2020

Coaching Search Special: Try SicEm365 Premium for $5.00 for three months  

As released from Baylor Athletics:

“We are grateful to Matt Rhule for all that he has done for Baylor Football and for the University over the last three years. Together, he and his staff have moved the program forward both on and off the field. While our hope was that Matt would be our coach for many years to come, we knew there was a possibility that the NFL would come calling. 

Matt’s time with Baylor marks one of the greatest turnarounds in college football history.  Our football program’s success this year is evidence that we are headed in the right direction with 11 wins, an appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game and the Sugar Bowl.

We have launched a national search for our next head coach, and we will not make any comments on prospective candidates or where we are in the process until we are ready to introduce the next leader of our football program. We look forward to finding the individual who will carry forward the vision of Preparing Champions for Life.

We wish Matt, Julie and their children the very best as they embark on a new journey together.”

– Baylor Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack B. Rhoades, IV

“Baylor University extends its deepest appreciation to Coach Rhule for his exceptional leadership of our football program over the past three seasons. We are especially appreciative of the efforts he has made in positively shaping the lives of our football student-athletes, who have excelled on the field, in the classroom and in the community. Coach Rhule certainly leaves the program in a better place than when he arrived, and we have a bright future ahead for Baylor football. We wish Matt, Julie and the entire Rhule Family well as they begin the next chapter in their lives.”

– Baylor President Linda A. Livingstone, Ph.D.

Discussion from...

Statements from Rhoades, Livingstone on Baylor football coaching search

13,848 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RegentCoverup
HuttoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Baylor Family got "SMOCKED" today.
historian
What else could they say? Both well crafted statements are about what one would expect. I did notice that Rhoades regrets that CMR is not sticking around. I wonder how much advance notice he had? I would hope that Rhule at least told him what was going once the rumors started flying around at supersonic speeds over the past few days/weeks.

I also noticed that he made it clear he was not providing any details until ready to announce the replacement. This is also to be expected since he needs to act quickly. I expect he already has some ideas of who he wants and started his search early.
Brewer
Bryceb
Dont know how everyone can be so optimistic really the new recruits will wont out of there letters of intent and other players will transfer. Baylor nation this will take us at least another 3 years to win maybe longer depending on who they get unless they give CJM the job to keep players and recruits in it other than that we climbed out of the cellar to fall back in period!
Mitch Henessey
Bryceb said:

Dont know how everyone can be so optimistic really the new recruits will wont out of there letters of intent and other players will transfer. Baylor nation this will take us at least another 3 years to win maybe longer depending on who they get unless they give CJM the job to keep players and recruits in it other than that we climbed out of the cellar to fall back in period!
Bro, punctuation is your friend.
Bryceb
Ya thanks Captian (Jerking it Motion).
Bear8084
Bryceb said:

Kind of early to be making failure predictions. Save the absolute hot takes that most likely won't come true for the new coach.
Mitch Henessey
Bryceb said:

Ya thanks Captian (Jerking it Motion).
Just trying to help you out a bit, kemosabe.
EvilTroyAndAbed
historian said:

I wonder how much advance notice he had? I would hope that Rhule at least told him what was going once the rumors started flying around at supersonic speeds over the past few days/weeks.
He's our AD. He knew this was coming a long time ago, even if it didn't happen this year. Once Rhule interviewed with the Colts after going 1-11, Rhodes had to have a plan in place, not for a specific person, but a plan ready to go. If he didn't, he's the worst AD in the nation.
Self Made Bear
I see we've launched the proverbial national search. I wonder if this will include all 50 states, as well as Puerto Rico.
Aliceinbubbleland
I know everyone is disappointed, or should be, that Rhule is leaving but lets not pretend that Rhoades isn't the perfect person to find another very successful coach.

I have complete faith in Rhoades to put us back in the races ASAP.
Aliceinbubbleland
historian said:

What else could they say? Both well crafted statements are about what one would expect. I did notice that Rhoades regrets that CMR is not sticking around. I wonder how much advance notice he had? I would hope that Rhule at least told him what was going once the rumors started flying around at supersonic speeds over the past few days/weeks.

I also noticed that he made it clear he was not providing any details until ready to announce the replacement. This is also to be expected since he needs to act quickly. I expect he already has some ideas of who he wants and started his search early.
Well said. I feel pretty sure Rhoades and Rhule have communicated very well throughout their three years. This didn't come as a surprise to Rhoades. I'd wager they even talked about Rhule's NFL desires before Rhoades hired him.
Stranger
Blah, blah, blah. . .
Russell Gym
Self Made Bear said:

I see we've launched the proverbial national search. I wonder if this will include all 50 states, as well as Puerto Rico.

Don't forget Guam.
Saddle Up!
Russell Gym said:

Self Made Bear said:

Don't forget Guam.

And American Samoa.
Timbear
Since I'm sure Rhule was honest with Rhoades from the beginning, wouldn't it have been better long term for Rhoades to have hired a coach with Texas roots who would have maintained Baylor's O identity while developing a great D with a coach who saw the greatest of Baylor University and wanted to stay as long as we would keep him?
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Since I'm sure Rhule was honest with Rhoades from the beginning, wouldn't it have been better long term for Rhoades to have hired a coach with Texas roots who would have maintained Baylor's O identity while developing a great D with a coach who saw the greatest of Baylor University and wanted to stay as long as we would keep him?
Simply put, no.

There wasn't a coach on the planet more qualified than Matt Rhule to guide us through the off-field ****storm he inherited. He changed the Baylor football narrative the second he stepped foot on campus.

I know it's hard for you diehard #CABers who can't even admit that we had a discipline problem to acknowledge, but Baylor was universally viewed as a cesspool outside of the bubble. Matt Rhule changed that in Year 1 and spent each subsequent season rebuilding the football side of the things.

I get being disappointed that he's gone, but the fact that some of you clowns still don't realize what a godsend he was for our university just proves what a hopeless case that sad faction of the Baylor fan base actually is.
Timbear
You mentioned Briles, not me, 2B2. Don't be Owned like X, ok?
McCavebear
Stranger said:

Blah, blah, blah. . .
What's the matter Aunt Bee?

You constipated again?
McCavebear Lives!
Timbear
Sorry, 2B2, we'll just have to agree to disagree on Rhule's hiring. Doesn't matter now. We'd be taking a step back anyway.
RegentCoverup
bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Simply put, no.
There wasn't a coach on the planet more qualified than Matt Rhule to guide us through the off-field ****storm he inherited. He changed the Baylor football narrative the second he stepped foot on campus.

You're damned right about that.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2017/02/07/baylor-assistant-arrested-prostitution-ring/
bear2be2
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

Simply put, no.

You're damned right about that.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2017/02/07/baylor-assistant-arrested-prostitution-ring/
You're trying way too hard ... and posting way too much, particularly for someone claiming to be "dispassionate" on this topic.

Matt Rhule's swift and decisive handling of this case and other adverse situations that popped up in Year 1 provided a stark contrast to the methods used by his predecessor. So in a weird way, yes, this did help change the narrative where accountability within our program was concerned.
RegentCoverup
I'm passionate about being entertained! Learn to laugh, this is all someone else's problem,.

Football fans are the definition of halo effect. If the coach wins, you hear things like "He and I were friends, I liked him." If they lose? "I told you so, never liked the guy, anyone that talks to them is trash."

I've been watching long enough that I can(and will) say whatever the f I want.

You're going to have to deal with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.