Football
Sponsored by

It's not gonna be Joey. Get over it.

6,770 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chamberman
atomicblast
How long do you want to ignore this user?

The amount of bleating sheep saying Joey's name on the board is crazy. McGuire has no experience. He has very little resume to show. Mack Rhoades is not gonna hire someone that cant say he was an HC or a Coordinator at the very least. Bet on it. Stop wishing for Joey to be it. Ain't gonna happen.

SIC EM 94
I don't care if it's McGuire or not, but what the Hell makes you think you have a freaking clue about who it will or won't be?
RegentCoverup
That's all well and good.

Now let's see you try that story on the pay board. They didn't pay to have their dreams crushed.
BluesBear
The pay board doesn't know either and people spending money thinking that are stupid.

We will ALL know when it is finally announced after the CFP period closes.
DTBear
I dont know who it will be but do you know who was never a OC of HC before he became a HC? Dabo
xiledinok
There is one poster who knows, imo. He will be right, again.
dave714
Destination job. It won't be Joey.
RegentCoverup
I would put more stock in Rhoades process than I would really any users endorsement of a particular coach.
That being said, i think winning consistently is more a function of good program management than simply brilliant X's and O's. Whether thats done by a Univ or the assistants, it's day to day stuff.

This game is still about getting the best players through the door.
Reverend
Tomorrow or Wednesday.
boognish_bear
Could you not have just added your opinion to one of the other 10 McGuire threads that already exist?
DST
7 threads in the span of a week. stfu, OP.
Dman
Joey. Not Joey. No clue. The bigger question is Why your opinion needs a brand new thread?! Versus just participating in all the others like everyone else. You brought literally NOTHING new to the topic.
BearlySober
boognish_bear said:

Could you not have just added your opinion to one of the other 10 McGuire threads that already exist?
It doesn't work that way here.
boognish_bear
Almost feels like OP is taking pleasure in it possibly not being Joey.

Joey is by all accounts a great man and loved by our players....if it's not him that's fine....but let's have some respect for the man and what's he's done to help our team and connections with HS coaches.
Saddle Up!
boognish_bear said:

Almost feels like OP is taking pleasure in it possibly not being Joey.

Joey is by all accounts a great man and loved by our players....if it's not him that's fine....but let's have some respect for the man and what's he's done to help our team and connections with HS coaches.

Not the least of which is joining Rhule's staff to become a lame duck in 3 years.
boognish_bear
CMR retweeted this tonight

PartyBear
Rhule is irritating at this point. He shouldn't get involved with this attempt to pressure Rhoades. He is gone he needs to move on and not think he has a role to meddle in Baylor's business.
Krieg
boognish_bear said:

CMR retweeted this tonight

Rhule needs to focus on the NFL where he so desperately needed to go and leave us alone.

Maybe if he'd let mid-season and said assistant had proven successful during the season he'd have gotten the job. That's how both of the NCG coaches got their jobs. Then again they'd also been in college football for 13 and 23 years, respectively, and in coordinator positions for at least some portion of that time (and even HC for Ed). Why didn't he let Joey be the OC? His sucked.
BUBBFAN
atomicblast said:

The amount of bleating sheep saying Joey's name on the board is crazy. McGuire has no experience. He has very little resume to show. Mack Rhoades is not gonna hire someone that cant say he was an HC or a Coordinator at the very least. Bet on it. Stop wishing for Joey to be it. Ain't gonna happen.

I'm a Joey guy, and I will get over it and support whoever is hired. I believe most will. The question is, if it happened to be Joey, would you get over it?
longtimebear
All the fools on here would treat McGuire the same way they treated Matt Rhule when he got here.
Iron Claw
I don't care who it is. My only question with JM is his (lack of) connections to hire a great staff. I would feel much better if I knew he could keep this staff in place (and add a competent OC) but all indications point to Snow leaving and he is the key cog to keeping the D rolling. Who else would follow Rhule to Carolina?
FKA tri it
contrario
Just for the record, Matt Rhule didn't tweet that, smoak did. Rhule just retweeted it. Supporting former coaches from his staff isn't a bad thing though...
PartyBear
Not much of a distinction and since it is the case that probably an announcement is imminent like perhaps in the next 24-48 hours, it more or less undermines the new guy at least a bit with players etc if it isnt McGuire.

The only thing Rhule should appropriately post tweet or retweet about this situation is a congratulations to the new guy when he is named. He has no place to thrust himself in the public in anyway about the coaching search.
xiledinok
PartyBear said:

Not much of a distinction and since it is the case that probably an announcement is imminent like perhaps in the next 24-48 hours, it more or less undermines the new guy at least a bit with players etc if it isnt McGuire.

The only thing Rhule should appropriately post tweet or retweet about this situation is a congratulations to the new guy when he is named. He has no place to thrust himself in the public in anyway about the coaching search.
It's a business with Rhule.

Let's hope the locals can show some class and act like a Big 12 city. They didn't with Rhule and looked like a bunch of desperate doped up heroin addicts looking for their next winning fix after Art got sent to the East Texas hamlet.
Krieg
PartyBear said:

This.
Robert Wilson
If they announced Joey, I'd wonder why the took so long. Seems like doing it earlier might've helped bolster any shots we had at late recruiting signings.
xiledinok
I bet it helps signings.
The coach has been busy.
Yogi
Hiring Joey would be a crazy gamble - and if it fails, it has the potential to bring the entire athletic department down with it.

Football is what pays to make other sports great.

It is the reason we are able to have successful coaches in all of our athletic programs.

Football legitimizes membership in the Power conferences.

It is a position that this university will pay over $5 million/ yr. to.

You don't just hand it out to the co-worker who makes you "feel good".

You give it to a football coach who has a staff ready and plan going forward.

You don't experiment with people's careers and power 5 athletic programs.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BUBBFAN
Yogi said:

Hiring Joey would be a crazy gamble - and if it fails, it has the potential to bring the entire athletic department down with it.

It is the reason we are able to have successful coaches in all of our athletic programs.

You still get carried away.
TeamPlayer
Yogi said:

Crazy gamble for sure. We need to get past this "back to the days of Roberts and Steele" nonsense. Ignoring the talent we have on the roster, we have dramatically improved our program on a variety of levels. If Joey fails, we fire him after year 2, hire somebody better like we should have done in January 2020 and get going again.

Roberts and Steele were the result of years of resource and facility neglect. We're never going back to that period.
EasyE
Yogi said:

Coaching decisions are always a gamble. As a GM, owner, or AD you always due your due diligence and make the best decision you can with the parameters you set. Rhoades, so far has achieved a good deal of success utilizing the guidelines he has established for himself and his staff.
Informer
Dabo was never a coordinator or a HC either. If you have been around McGuire, you would see the connection
robby44
Yogi said:

Excellent points
BUBBFAN
I'm a Joey guy, but think it will be Napier,
Yogi
Informer said:

Dabo was never a coordinator or a HC either. If you have been around McGuire, you would see the connection
I guess other Power 5 programs are having that issue as well because there isn't one - not one - that sees what you see in Joey McGuire.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.