Football
Sponsored by

Let's go get a homerun OC

21,476 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aliceinbubbleland
BearTruth13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excited about the hire. I was afraid given the timing that we would have to settle for scraps.

Aranda is 43 and has lead 2 great defensive teams (LSU and Wisky). Wisconsin doesn't recruit any better than Baylor (typically in the 30-40 range) so his talent isn't completely reliant on LSU caliber recruits.

That behind said I think we need to go throw $2M or so at an OC worth his salt. I enjoyed the Rhule tenure but I'm tired of boring, ineffective offense. We have players on the offensive side of the ball.

I want great O and great D.

Good hire by the Bears.
EvilTroyAndAbed
I heard he was going after Utah's OC.
boognish_bear
BearTruth13 said:

Aranda is 43 and has lead 2 great defensive teams (LSU and Wisky). Wisconsin doesn't recruit any better than Baylor (typically in the 30-40 range) so his talent isn't completely reliant on LSU caliber recruits.

Good point right there....
BluesBear
the dude is 55 and born in UTAH - - - hard to see him leaving for Baptist country...
Yogi
I wish Aranda had a little more head coaching experience, but everything I have heard about this man is absolute gold.

He is extremely well respected in coaching circles, has developed many relationships in college football and is extremely well liked by his players.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Bigkahunaww
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Not saying your wrong but how did this info come about ?
Baylor just signed Super Dave

In addition, Utah just hired their OC back.

NVM- he is targeting the ex Utah OC
Living the American dream in central Texas !
Feel The Floyd
Wiki page says he is involved in the baptist community
EvilTroyAndAbed
Bigkahunaww said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Just look at the posts right above you.
Big_Pumpin
I'm getting fired up!!!
rckt24
Feel The Floyd said:

Wiki page says he is involved in the baptist community
I saw that. Someone just added that today.
DanaDane
A guy who designed a gameplan that barely put up 250 yards and 10 points against Texas is a "Homerun" OC ?

Wow our standard expectations have fallen on the offensive side of the ball.
BUBear24
Bigkahunaww said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

All the interviewees had to have a plan for OC and DC for Mack. It seems like Aranda already had a solid plan for the interview.
BaylorDad79
LSU must not be happy with Baylor right now. We stripped them of two of their best defensive coaches
Wapiti
It all begins with a rock star strength & conditioning coach.
bear2be2
DanaDane said:

A guy who designed a gameplan that barely put up 250 yards and 10 points against Texas is a "Homerun" OC ?

That game wasn't a great showcase, but Ludwig's overall numbers are impressive. Both the Vandy and Utah offenses were much better with him than they were without him. And neither of those schools is exactly known for explosive offense historically.

I'm not crazy about the Aranda hire and needed to see his OC pick to get excited at all. But I think Ludwig is a pretty solid selection IMO.
Chamberman
Bigkahunaww said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Ludwig is Utah's current OC.
Dia del DougO
DanaDane said:

Ludwig got beat like a drum in the Alamo bowl.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Krieg
BaylorDad79 said:

LSU must not be happy with Baylor right now. We stripped them of two of their best defensive coaches

And our prior coach took their OC!
BearlyBeloved
Wapiti said:

It all begins with a rock star strength & conditioning coach.
Fortunately, I hear there's one available

boognish_bear
bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

That game wasn't a great showcase, but Ludwig's overall numbers are impressive. Both the Vandy and Utah offenses were much better with him than they were without him. And neither of those schools is exactly known for explosive offense historically.

I'm not crazy about the Aranda hire and needed to see his OC pick to get excited at all. But I think Ludwig is a pretty solid selection IMO.

I know McGuire was your top choice.

Where did Aranda rank with you among the other names we were hearing?
Krieg
bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

Aranda has been a DC for 10 years at the FBS level and 4 at lower levels. He's won the SEC and a national championship. He's also been coaching in college for 24 years. He's definitely a good bet.

Your pick has coached in college for 3 years and not even in a coordinator role. I don't understand how this one could be less exciting.

Ludwig might be great but if not we can replace him. I'm excited about Aranda. Ludwig we'll see, but Aranda has experience we've never hired before and that could take us to a new level.
bear2be2
Dia del DougO said:

DanaDane said:

Art Briles once got throttled in the Texas Bowl by Illinois. One-game samples are meaningless.
robby44
boognish_bear said:

bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

Aranda is good solid choice
McGuire would have been the Baylor version of Gerry Faust
Dia del DougO
bear2be2 said:

Dia del DougO said:

DanaDane said:

Art Briles once got throttled in the Texas Bowl by Illinois. One-game samples are meaningless.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

Not very high, but that's only because philosophically, I don't like filling Power 5 head coaching vacancies with outside coordinators/first-time head coaches. The skill sets are different and the flop risk is too high.

That said, I am intrigued by Aranda as an individual. He's an elite defensive mind and a thoughtful dude. And I like his coordinator hires so far. But I loved the Rhule hire from Day 1. I can't say the same about this one.
Yogi
Dia del DougO said:

DanaDane said:

You're cymbalic there...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
bear2be2
Krieg said:

bear2be2 said:

DanaDane said:

Aranda has been a DC for 10 years at the FBS level and 4 at lower levels. He's won the SEC and a national championship. He's also been coaching in college for 24 years. He's definitely a good bet.

Your pick has coached in college for 3 years and not even in a coordinator role. I don't understand how this one could be less exciting.

Ludwig might be great but if not we can replace him. I'm excited about Aranda. Ludwig we'll see, but Aranda has experience we've never hired before and that could take us to a new level.
Aranda has never led a program at any level. So all his resume tells us to date is that he's a really good coordinator. The same is true of Kevin Steele, Will Muschamp, Gene Chizik, Kliff Kingsbury, Joe Morhead and countless other failed head coaches.

It's my sincere hope that Aranda will avoid that list, but he has every bit as much to prove as McGuire would have as a head coach -- and none of the continuity that would have made McGuire's job here easier. There's nothing on his resume that give us any indication whatsoever that he'll be successful in his new role.
boognish_bear
Chuckroast
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I believe Ludwig was OC at Wisconsin before coming to Vanderbilt. Guessing they knew each other from their Wisconsin days.
Chuckroast
Chuckroast said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

I believe Ludwig was OC at Wisconsin before coming to Vanderbilt. Guessing they knew each other from their Wisconsin days.
never mind - I was recalling that from memory as a Vandy fan, but I see that was already reported.
Bear8084
Interesting target and not a bad one at all. Very experienced and has led very successful offenses in winning teams, and according to this article from before the start of the 2019 season, not afraid of changing schemes and tweaking:

https://apnews.com/4680a31ded2547cd9808ff5fdf90a689
Bigkahunaww
boognish_bear said:

F

Targets RBs in screen plays. Love to hear those words.
Could never figure out why Ruhle never utilized this.
Brewer would get run over, sacked, hurried, knocked down, but Ruhle never ran a screen play to
negate the rush. Hell, that's football 101.
Even quick, wide receiver screens would have helped.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
Big_Pumpin
4.5 yds/play first year at Vandy. Got them up to 6.2 yds/play by the time he left

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.