Football
Sponsored by

Good time to be a Bear

4,175 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RegentCoverup
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This afternoon Dennis & Cowlishaw on Dallas ESPN 103.3 spent an entire segment talking about how strong the athletic program at Baylor is right now.

They talked about the #1 men's BB team and #2 women's BB team and what a great job Drew and Mulkey have been doing there for a long time. They talked about the BU football team coming off a 11-3 season and a Sugar Bowl appearance. They talked about what an impressive hire it was to get Aranda.

Cowlishaw, who is a Longhorn, said Baylor has the best athletic program in Texas right now.

I know most of us realize this.... But it was just refreshing to hear it coming from local media here that I am more used to hearing more negatives from.

There has been a remarkable turn around in the perception of our school. Kind of stinks for us that CMR did not stick around a little longer....but I give him a ton of credit for doing so much heavy lifting in the image rebuild here.
historian
Great post! So true. Baylor athletics is humming along to great things. You forgot to mention Volleyball, A&T, and the rest.

We are so blessed to have great coaches and so many fine young men and women athletes representing Baylor.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Timbear
Everything worked out perfectly for Rhule and Baylor.
Aliceinbubbleland
It's all about how you finish. Not where you are currently
RegentCoverup
Aliceinbubbleland said:

that's what she said.
historian
Timbear said:

Too early to say. We have reasons to be optimistic about this fall but don't really know. We could very well have a serious regression this year. In fact, even if Aranda proves to be all we hope he will be, it will probably be later & we likely will see some drop off in 2020 because we have lost so many key players--especially James Lynch. Also, our OL is very much a work in progress and there are questions about Charlie's health. I would love to have another 11 win season and another trip to Arlington in December but 2019 was almost a miracle season. The lack of continuity in coaching may have a serious negative impact. I very much hope this pessimism is wrong but realistically these are major concerns.
BaylorLit 01
the silver lining of Rhule leaving is we're now 2 coaches removed from the scandal.
historian
I'm not sure how significant that is. It's been 17 years, and we still sometimes hear stuff about the basketball mess. Thankfully, not very often or only vaguely alluded to--while praising Drew for the greatest turn around ever.
boognish_bear
historian said:

Timbear said:

Too early to say. We have reasons to be optimistic about this fall but don't really know. We could very well have a serious regression this year. In fact, even if Aranda proves to be all we hope he will be, it will probably be later & we likely will see some drop off in 2020 because we have lost so many key players--especially James Lynch. Also, our OL is very much a work in progress and there are questions about Charlie's health. I would love to have another 11 win season and another trip to Arlington in December but 2019 was almost a miracle season. The lack of continuity in coaching may have a serious negative impact. I very much hope this pessimism is wrong but realistically these are major concerns.

Agree. Even if CMR had returned I would not have expected another 11-1 regular season. Losing our starting DL and tougher schedule will make next year a bigger challenge.

With those challenges and the growing pains of a first time HC and new staff I could 6-6 or 7-5 as possibilities....hopefully we win more....but I won't be surprised if we don't.

But I think we will be trending back up after next year.

Timbear
I am pumped about Baylor's football future. 3 coaches removed from the scandal, and we have a Championship coach that wants to be here. Rhule never won a Championship anywhere.We will do at least as good this year as Rhule would have done, and probably better. It's all a guess. We'll see.
RegentCoverup
Rhule served a purpose and put some backbone guys in the team. We'll know more next year, but he was kind of a triage coach who swallowed some hard medicine.

When it's all said and done, I'll say he peaked while he was here and the only improvement he brought us was Snow's defense. I didn't see a continued upward trajectory because I didn't see his commitment to recruiting or offensive philosophy.

I don't care how great a coach you think you are, it's all about getting the best athletes through the door.
McLaneStadium
He won the AAC Championship his final year at Temple.
RegentCoverup
Rhule was a program manager, closer to the GM style I've always felt would work well in a college program and I think tha'ts consistent with the programs like Stoops ran at Okla.And I say that as a compliment to him, I think it's a wonderful strategy. I think that approach can keep you above .500 at a minimum, but you've really gotta differentiate to close the gap and win a title.

Rhule's strength was his network first, his ability second.
Wineguy89
Timbear said:

I am pumped about Baylor's football future. 3 coaches removed from the scandal, and we have a Championship coach that wants to be here. Rhule never won a Championship anywhere.We will do at least as good this year as Rhule would have done, and probably better. It's all a guess. We'll see.

Rhule and Temple won the AAC Championship. They went 2 years in a row and won the second year.
Timbear
Sorry, my bad. Rhule won the AAC Championship as McLane accurately stated.
FWBear91
Remember a few years ago, Year of the Bear. We set a record for combined wins on FB, MBB, WBB, and baseball. If the BB teams continue their runs, I'll sure be watching baseball to see if they can top that year's record.

Also, wouldn't it be cool to match UConn's feat of winning MBB and WBB national championships in the same year!

Sic 'em!!
Ursus Americanus
Wineguy89 said:

Timbear said:

Rhule and Temple won the AAC Championship. They went 2 years in a row and won the second year.
And was a play away from winning the Big 12 title too.
Krieg
Next year would've been a lot worse had Rhule stayed, anyway, and they didn't seem to have a plan for improvement on offense. Assuming we hire a good OC I expect more points on both sides of the scoreboard next season with at least 7 wins. Maybe that's one worse than if the staff stayed, but we're already seeing recruiting pick up and Aranda is hungry. We'll be better in year 2 than if Rhule had stayed. That's a win for us.
BoredOfRegents
Krieg points are accurate almost all of the time.
McCavebear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

that's what she said.
This one finished nicely:

McCavebear Lives!
historian
Krieg said:

Next year would've been a lot worse had Rhule stayed, anyway, and they didn't seem to have a plan for improvement on offense. Assuming we hire a good OC I expect more points on both sides of the scoreboard next season with at least 7 wins. Maybe that's one worse than if the staff stayed, but we're already seeing recruiting pick up and Aranda is hungry. We'll be better in year 2 than if Rhule had stayed. That's a win for us.
This is a very good reason for optimism. We must be patient because it is very unlikely that 2020 will have the best results, but 2021 and beyond are very promising. We can thank Rhule for building a foundation that Aranda can build upon. I know the haters will go bonkers, but really Briles did too: we have higher expectations this decade than any time since CGT and we have the facilities to attract top notch recruits.
Stefano DiMera
We would have been A LOT worse?

Rhule didn't have any plans to improve the offense?

Ummm..ok..
McCavebear
historian said:

Krieg said:

This is a very good reason for optimism. We must be patient because it is very unlikely that 2020 will have the best results, but 2021 and beyond are very promising. We can thank Rhule for building a foundation that Aranda can build upon. I know the haters will go bonkers, but really Briles did too: we have higher expectations this decade than any time since CGT and we have the facilities to attract top notch recruits.
You are correct Sir!
https://giphy.com/gifs/x88e1awUi05by/html5
McCavebear Lives!
Quinton
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Rhule served a purpose and put some backbone guys in the team. We'll know more next year, but he was kind of a triage coach who swallowed some hard medicine.

When it's all said and done, I'll say he peaked while he was here and the only improvement he brought us was Snow's defense. I didn't see a continued upward trajectory because I didn't see his commitment to recruiting or offensive philosophy.
Well said. The greatest college coaches need just a little more of that thing. Stoops was a good example as well. Good but some major recurring soft spots / weaknesses. The aggregate managing approach at all times.

A Saban would get very focused and detailed on those specific areas if he had to while still doing a top down managing for the strong areas. Saban would be on the o-line (I believe Aranda will be as well) yesterday if needed. Not that Rhule wouldn't but I sense he wouldn't as much or say take a bit more hold of the offense when needed (middle of this year).
RegentCoverup
Compounding said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Well said. The greatest college coaches need just a little more of that thing. Stoops was a good example as well. Good but some major recurring soft spots / weaknesses. The aggregate managing approach at all times.

A Saban would get very focused and detailed on those specific areas if he had to while still doing a top down managing for the strong areas. Saban would be on the o-line (I believe Aranda will be as well) yesterday if needed. Not that Rhule wouldn't but I sense he wouldn't as much or say take a bit more hold of the offense when needed (middle of this year).
Stooper started off on fire. He was a defensive coach, and he hired the mother of all OC's in Leach. They took a John Blake squad that had an abundance of RB's and won a title. But then it was a game of watching his first litter of coaches get picked off one by one, season by season.
As time wore on, he sorted of retreated back to his comfort zone and that's how Briles was able to exploit him.

By the time he fired his ****** brother, he'd tapped his network for the most part.

That approach works until you run out of good replacements.
bear2be2
Stefano DiMera said:

Ummm..ok..
Rhule leaving has brought the stupid out of a lot of people here.
Krieg
Stefano DiMera said:

Ummm..ok..

I'm all ears on all the ways we tried to innovate on offense so we could, I don't know, score 10 in regulation against a team that couldn't make a bowl? Our offense didn't improve and looked like the same disorganized mess for 3 years with occasional glimpses of obvious potential.

Heck, remove Mims' spectacular catches and we lose a couple more games right there. That's not a product of good offense it's the product of a single guy making an amazing play.

Rhule had 3 years and the O was still bad. He said he doesn't fire assistants, ever, with one exception in his entire career. The OL didn't improve. Charlie didn't improve. The offense was a mess with no reason to think that was going to change.
Krieg
bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Ummm..ok..

I think birth did it to some others.
Bear8084
bear2be2 said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Ummm..ok..

Yup, hot takes are very prevalent on this board.
boognish_bear
Krieg
Stefano DiMera said:

Ummm..ok..

I had to go see what you meant by the "a lot worse" comment. I guess "a lot" is up to individual definition but if you don't think there would've been a steep drop off on D next year after losing 9 starters you're lying to yourself. That's not a criticism of a coach it's just how it works.

Assuming Brewer can play again we keep the QB, but there's a chance he either can't or gets hurt again. We lost our best WR and our #4 WR. We're losing one of our first string RBs (they got basically even stats), and we're losing 2 starting OL that have a TON of experience.

The schedule next year will also be more difficult. We play a real (albeit not good) opponent in OOC, we're in Austin, TCU almost has to improve, OSU should be significantly better, and we'll be playing against 4 teams in their second year of new coaching instead of their first.

All of that adds up to, probably, 3ish additional losses in the regular season next year. I'd argue 8-4 is a lot worse than 11-1. I think that's the most likely outcome for 2020 with the old staff. Most likely we drop an extra game without them this season but oh well.
BirelBear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I don't care how great a coach you think you are, it's all about getting the best athletes through the door.

Ask UT if they agree with your last sentence.
Krieg
BirelBear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I'd argue that the team with the best balance of both generally wins the game.
Chamberman
BirelBear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

UT would definitely agree with last sentence. The scoreboard in many of their games, however does not prove it to be true.
RegentCoverup
Chamberman said:

BirelBear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

UT would definitely agree with last sentence. The scoreboard in many of their games, however does not prove it to be true.
They won a title, in spite of their lackluster coaching.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.