Football
Sponsored by

Any word on Coach McGuire ?

24,176 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Osouno
longtimebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm worried he's not staying. Surely it wouldn't take this long to know what he wants to do?
BluesBear
He needs to get onboard if he has been offered a role. He isn't getting a better opportunity somewhere else that doesn't come with greater risk than his role at Baylor.
Krieg
Rhoades has said, more than once, that he has an offer. The ball seems to be entirely in his court. I agree that it's hard to imagine him landing anything even close to comparable at this point outside of Waco and he could always leave after this season and have more options.
Big_Pumpin
Players want him.
Coaches want him.
Admin wants him.
Fans want him.

Let's do it!
PartyBear
His only option at P5 level is the same here, a position coach slot. Has UTSA filled its DC slot? That and replacing our new DC at Lafayette are the only G5 schools I can think of that have any DC position open.

Edit: I forgot about Hawaii.
Cdogg33
Reading he was offered a spot on OUs staff. He's not taking a DC with UTSA because he turned down the HC job there already. Graham took the Hawaii job
Jacques Strap
https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/61083/replies/1564241

HC Dave Aranda: "We're doing everything we can to keep Joey [McGuire] here."
Sic Em Bears
They were talking about him on the radio show here in Austin as a potential candidate down on the 40 archers. :-<
summaryjudged
Hold up I thought jm was Baylor thru and thru? Mad at Baylor for not respecting his three years of assistant cf experience ?
Jeremy
RegentCoverup
I was afraid this thread would be deleted fast,

If he wants to go to OU, he'd better learn how to hide evidence. But I'm certain he's talking to UT as well.

It seems like he's specifically looking to go to in conference schools, it's hard to satisfy someone whose primary motivation is ego. But when the leader you follow is just in it for a ride to the NFL. This is what we get.

I guess that Baylor through and through stuff was bs.

If you want to know why some assistants never end up as head coaches, here it is.

Johnny Bear
Hope he stays, but we'll survive if he doesn't. Not worth losing sleep over.
Timbear
All the McGuire lovers, remember, he's in business. He was taught by the best...Rhule.
Jeremy
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I was afraid this thread would be deleted fast,

If he wants to go to OU, he'd better learn how to hide evidence. But I'm certain he's talking to UT as well.

It seems like he's specifically looking to go to in conference schools, it's hard to satisfy someone whose primary motivation is ego. But when the leader you follow is just in it for a ride to the NFL. This is what we get.

I guess that Baylor through and through stuff was bs.

If you want to know why some assistants never end up as head coaches, here it is.

I think many fans built Joey up bigger than he really is. Don't get me wrong he is great but he has been elevated even higher. I have no doubt he loves Baylor A LOT. I think the hurt was magnified when he was passed over for the job. I think at that point he said this is a business and I need to make the best decision for my career.

I think fans/alums/friends made Joey a bigger legend than he is and made his love for Baylor bigger than it even is now. At the end of the day it is his career and he has to make the best decision for that.
PartyBear
Cdogg33 said:

Reading he was offered a spot on OUs staff. He's not taking a DC with UTSA because he turned down the HC job there already. Graham took the Hawaii job

I meant I assume the DC slot at Hawaii is open.
BearFan33
The Defensive Line was magic this year and I'm thinking a lot of that was JM?

In any case, if he likes Baylor, the smart move would seem to sit pat for a year or 2 and see how it goes. The longer this drags on the more worried I am about him leaving.
longtimebear
Ultimately, I guess, what some of you are saying makes some since. In that his future and what he wants for himself and family has to come first. BUT, you would think staying at Baylor would be a no brainer as far as obtaining a few more skins on the wall for his resume.

Yet, who knows for sure what goes through his thinking. Guess we'll just have to hope for the best.
Jacques Strap
i hope it gets wrapped up soon either way.
bear2be2
You guys are clowns. If Joey leaves, it's not out of disloyalty to Baylor or because he's being petty. It's because he wants to be a college head coach and that opportunity dried up here with the Aranda hire.

Joey's not a young man. If he wants to lead a program, he needs to be working toward that goal with every decision he makes. The man clearly loves Baylor and his players, and he has been a consummate professional through a tough situation. But he can't afford to wait around here, treading water to make Baylor fans happy. If he stays, it will be because it makes sense for him and his career goals to stay. And the exact same will be true if he leaves.

You jackasses need to stop trying to tie men's character and integrity to how long they decide to stay at Baylor. It makes you look stupid.
DaRealBears
BearFan33 said:

In any case, if he likes Baylor, the smart move would seem to sit pat for a year or 2 and see how it goes. The longer this drags on the more worried I am about him leaving.

Would the defensive line coach Aranda brought from LSU not be filling that same role?
Dia del DougO
The feeling I get is that Joey's positional role is yet to be determined, or what title he would have, and could be dependent on what coaches Aranda is able to bring in. Joey is capable of coaching a number of positions, and on either side of the ball. Of course, I doubt McGuire is anxious to take a step back. From what I have seen from the hires thus far, I think there is a good chance he remains and retains his AHC status, but possibly a different positional responsibility. But if Aranda needs to leverage that spot to get a big dawg OC or something, he's still got that in his pocket.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
PartyBear
I'm not sure why anyone is worried about a position coach leaving. He isnt the only great recruiter out there. That said it would be nice if he stays. It sounds like Aranda has done what he can on his end for it to happen. This is business. I'm not sure it helps him much on getting a DC slot somewhere by spending next season as a position coach somewhere else anymore than it does spending next season as a position coach here. But maybe he thinks it does.
Dia del DougO
It's not like they have an unlimited budget for assistant coaches. You don't get to just give anybody you want a job on your staff and meet whatever demands they have. Baylor pays well, but they ain't Bama. There is going to have to be some slotting going on and when it all fits together the salaries have to align. There is a lot to still be worked out, negotiations with a number of coaches still needed to fill the staff before they get it all worked out.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Oso Pardo
DaRealBears said:

BearFan33 said:

Would the defensive line coach Aranda brought from LSU not be filling that same role?
Yes, the LSU coach will probably be filling that DL roll that was vacated by Frank Okam I believe. That's who I was really sorry to see go, he worked magic on the DL (along with JM coaching DE).
RiskyBizz Bear
Seems JM would see the benefit of being on a National Title winning HCs staff.

Risk being out of a job in a year or two at TX. Stay here a year or two and then go on to be a DC or HC somewhere.

The man has to realize (despite his HS HC experience) he is not ready for a HC position right now. In a year or two, if he shines, an AD could then justify bringing him in.

He needs to be patient with that and take what I am sure is a heck of an opportunity here at BU. Coming off of Rhules and Aranda coaching tree could look REALLY good in 2-3 years. ...he still has to prove himself though.
BUBBFAN
It's interesting to me how many people know what is important for someone they don't even know to make a life decision.
Jorkel
Why do people think he is a must have? What makes him irreplaceable?
bear2be2
RiskyBizz Bear said:

Seems JM would see the benefit of being on a National Title winning HCs staff.

Risk being out of a job in a year or two at TX. Stay here a year or two and then go on to be a DC or HC somewhere.

The man has to realize (despite his HS HC experience) he is not ready for a HC position right now. In a year or two, if he shines, an AD could then justify bringing him in.

He needs to be patient with that and take what I am sure is a heck of an opportunity here at BU. Coming off of Rhules and Aranda coaching tree could look REALLY good in 2-3 years. ...he still has to prove himself though.

Some of you guys are trying too hard to convince yourselves that Joey needs Baylor to accomplish his career goals and that we're doing him a favor by keeping him around. If Joey leaves, it will be for a really good job that provides every bit the experience that this one does.

I hope he stays because he's a major asset. But his career will be just fine if he leaves ... because other good programs realize he's a major asset.

You guys seem to want to have your cake and eat it too. But you can't spend two weeks ripping Joey's career experience and downplaying his importance to the program and then be disappointed when he leaves after being passed up in favor of Aranda.

For the record, I think Aranda will build a strong staff whether Joey stays or not. But I'm not going to try to convince myself that Joey's not good at what he does or won't have other great options because I want him to stay at Baylor.
Timbear
We don't need to beg anybody. Aranda's asked Mc to stay just like everyone wanted . The ball's in his court. He can stay on this train if he wants but Baylor's moving on with or without him.
RegentCoverup
No, some of us can see that if the only two teams that are interested in Joey are schools that wil Fire their head coaches if they lose to Baylor, then he needs to not make this an emotional decision

Oklahomas Coaching staff is in place. Texas Coaching staff is in Place.
Fancy titles aside, they will not delegate the same level of authority that Baylor has given him in his current role.
They will do what corporations do, which is exploit him for knowledge and relationships and then dump him.

If he can't see that coming, he doesn't have the political savvy to ever be a head coach.
PartyBear
Timbear said:

We don't need to beg anybody. Aranda's asked Mc to stay just like everyone wanted . The ball's in his court. He can stay on this train if he wants but Baylor's moving on with or without him.
Exactly.
bear2be2
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

No, some of us can see that if the only two teams that are interested in Joey are schools that wil Fire their head coaches if they lose to Baylor, then he needs to not make this an emotional decision

Fancy titles aside, they will not delegate the same level of authority that Baylor has given him in his current role.

They will do what corporations do, which is exploit him for knowledge and relationships and then dump him.

If he can't see that coming, he doesnt have the political savvy to ever be a head coach.
This is such a silly post.

First, no one here knows what Joey's role would be on Aranda's staff, but with Aranda (a defensive guru) calling the shots and Roberts (a seasoned vet) calling the defense, it's as likely as not to be a reduced one compared to what he was doing for Rhule.

Second, one year under Lincoln Riley and the potential endorsement of a three-time CFP qualifying head coach would aid Joey's career aspirations every bit as much, if not more, as hanging around to coach under a first-time head coach in Dave Aranda.

And third, the decision to leave (should Joey make it) will be neither emotional nor a signal that he lacks political savvy. It will be a calculated determination as to what gets him to his career goals fastest. And as was the case with Rhule, such a decision says nothing about his character, integrity or intelligence.
Dia del DougO
PartyBear said:

Timbear said:

Exactly.
It's not that simple. Not even close.

RegentCoverup
bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

If he can't see that coming, he doesnt have the political savvy to ever be a head coach.

First, no one here knows what Joey's role would be on Aranda's staff, but with Aranda (a defensive guru) calling the shots and Roberts (a seasoned vet) calling the defense, it's as likely as not to be a reduced one compared to what he was doing for Rhule.

Second, one year under Lincoln Riley and the potential endorsement of a three-time CFP qualifying head coach would aid Joey's career aspirations every bit as much, if not more, as hanging around to coach under a first-time head coach in Dave Aranda.

And third, the decision to leave (should Joey make it) will be neither emotional nor a signal that he lacks political savvy. It will be a calculated determination as to what gets him to his career goals fastest. And as was the case with Rhule, that says nothing about his character, integrity or intelligence.
Keep believing they'd risk their program on a coach they've known for a few weeks.

If you think they'd give him the authority and take risks on him, you don't understand how it works.
bear2be2
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

And third, the decision to leave (should Joey make it) will be neither emotional nor a signal that he lacks political savvy. It will be a calculated determination as to what gets him to his career goals fastest. And as was the case with Rhule, that says nothing about his character, integrity or intelligence.
Keep believing they'd risk their program on a coach they've known for a few weeks.

That's naive.
Risk their program? What the hell are you talking about?

If Joey's hired, it will be to fulfill a role he's deemed qualified for. Contrary to what some of you clowns think, Joey McGuire is not a charity case. He's a really damn good football coach and a better man. Just because you don't recognize that doesn't mean other programs don't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.