Football
Sponsored by

Todd Graham named HC at Hawaii.

3,073 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by IslandBear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just passing along.
Jokerman
Taking his magic wristbands to the Islands...
Keyser Soze
Have never understood why Hawaii can not do better in recruiting
Wapiti
Keyser Soze said:

Guys like Dick Tomey and June Jones were successful there. However, there are only 1.4 million people in the state, it's a G5 school. If you have talent like Tua or Marcus Mariota you leave for the Mainland. Not great facilities at UH.

A fraternity bro of mine lived there for about 5 years - easy to get island fever.
Keyser Soze
Wapiti said:

Keyser Soze said:

Guys like Dick Tomey and June Jones were successful there. However, there are only 1.4 million people in the state, it's a G5 school. If you have talent like Tua or Marcus Mariota you leave for the Mainland. Not great facilities at UH.

A fraternity bro of mine lived there for about 5 years - easy to get island fever.

I know - I just think there is enough kids out there you could drop a recruit on beach and he is sold instantly.

Stefano DiMera
Doubt the financial commitment (i.e.recruiting budget) is large there.
IslandBear
Stefano DiMera said:

Doubt the financial commitment (i.e.recruiting budget) is large there.
There is not a lot of money for football. The joke was (maybe still is) that ESPN was Hawaii's main recruiter. A game on TV meant mainland kids who liked Hawaii's style would send in their highlight video. Base salary for Rolovich was $400K with incentives. This last season he pulled in around $200K extra. The attendance is poor even with this last successful run. Folks blame poor attendance on the disastrous Norm Chow era for driving the program into the ground but other complaints are high ticket prices, crappy stadium, bla-bla-bla.
xiledinok
Used to have to commit for visit.
Keyser Soze
And a visit could get a commit

They have a marketing problem
xiledinok
Keyser Soze said:

And a visit could get a commit

They have a marketing problem
Budget issues.
Krieg
Great retirement job. Make good money while living in Hawaii and whenever you get fired you're...already in Hawaii.
IslandBear
Couple more comments on the Hawaii job.

Plans to replace the aging Aloha Stadium are in the works. The 50K seater will be reduced to a 35K seater. Makes more sense given the attendance figures. Yes, its been 46 years since Texas A&I (shout out to Assassin) played in the inaugural game against Hawaii.

June Jones, former UH coach and SMU quitter applied for the job again. He couldn't beat out Rolovich last time. Remember when JJ was nearly signed, sealed and delivered at Arizona State until an outcry against the SMU head coach, from ASU boosters nixed the deal? Ironically, it was Todd Graham who became the head honcho for the Sun Devils.
PartyBear
I remember that but don't know the back story. I thought I remembered he actually accepted and was the ASU coach for a few hours before he ran back to SMU.
BaylorRocks
Most of the kids you need to recruit to your school in order to build a sustainable winning program are kids that think they are (or at least want the opportunity to be) the next NFL first-rounder.

To be that, they need the best coaching, facilities, program W/L success, and exposure. There are several things working against Hawaii in these aspects - several already commented on above.
  • Facilities: Old and no where near campus. Think Floyd Casey and you'll get the picture/challenge. Also, attendance versus seating capacity makes the place look practically empty every game - every game.
  • Coaching: Hard to impossible to recruit "hot" coaches (and staff) to Hawaii on their G5 budget. Note above reference to Rolo's package - which is true. The Hawaii job is a stepping stone for rising coaches. It is not a destination job.
  • Exposure: Almost no national TV (or sports press) mention. Hardly on the US sports media map.
  • Personal: Family and friends cannot (realistically) ever attend games.
  • Limited Scholarships: Scholarships are limited due to program budget. Without a scholarship, out of state athlete's cannot afford to attend Hawaii (OOS tuition and fees approach $40K-$50K / yr). Even with a partial scholarship, most cannot afford it.
  • Recruiting Range: Realistically, Hawaii's only recruiting market is the west coast (for many of the personal and financial reasons mentioned above).
Ursus Americanus
I remember in 2013 when UT AD Steve Patterson had him o the short list as UT's coach, it was down to him and Charlie Strong after talks fell through with Saban, Briles, and Satan.

IslandBear
Hawaii signs its third Texan..

All-purpose back Jordan "J" Johnson of Allen High became the latest to sign a 2021 scholarship offer from the Rainbow Warriors. He is 5-10, 175 pounds, and capable of a sub-4.5 40. Johnson joins two other Texans defensive back Cinque Williams of Carroll High and running back Da'Qualen "DQ" James of Lancaster High as 2021 UH pledges.

Didn't know Hawaii coach Todd Graham coached at Allen High. That says a lot about his pull in arguably the best recruiting state in the nation.
Golden Helmet
Phil Bennett is there on staff.
BaylorRocks
Golden Helmet said:

Phil Bennett is there on staff.
wrong
IslandBear
Phil's son, Sam is on the Hawaii staff. Highland Park High long snapper, 15-0 state champs 2005.
IslandBear
Another Texan commits to Hawaii.

Brayden Schager, a 3-star QB of Highland Park High in Dallas said he notified the UH coaches he will sign a National Letter of Intent on Dec. 16, the first day of the early-signing period for 2021 football prospects. The kid was named starting QB for HP for the upcoming season.
Golden Helmet
Not an official staff position....

But I know he was out there before the Rona hit.
BaylorRocks
Golden Helmet said:

Not an official staff position....

But I know he was out there before the Rona hit.
"Phil Bennett is there on staff." Your words, not mine.

Go troll elsewhere. Goodbye. <ignore>
IslandBear
Baylor's Solomon Turner (Prestonwood Christian), Safety-LB, transferring to Hawaii. His buddy, Justin Webster (Hargrave Military) plays on the basketball team.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/11/26/sports/baylor-linebacker-solomon-turner-commits-to-transfer-to-university-of-hawaii-football-team/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.