Football
Sponsored by

#LSU offensive analyst Jorge Munoz is expected to join #Baylor staff as WR coach

5,085 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boognish_bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
gobears20
Staff
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_00d978dc-3df2-11ea-b46b-bf4b1a62a312.amp.html

Baylor coach Dave Aranda has hired away his first staff member from his former employer.
The former LSU defensive coordinator will hire LSU analyst Jorge Munoz as a wide receivers coach, according to multiple reports Thursday morning.
Munoz focused on offense in his two years in Baton Rouge, and he worked behind the scenes in the non-coaching role to help support LSU's record-breaking offense in 2019 along with offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and passing game coordinator Joe Brady.
The Athletic was the first to report the news.

Munoz is a former offensive coordinator at Louisiana-Lafayette, and LSU quarterback Joe Burrow credited and thanked him during his Heisman Trophy speech in New York.
Munoz was considered in some reports for the Oregon offensive coordinator position that eventually went to former Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead.
Munoz is the third coach to depart LSU coach Ed Orgeron's staff for full-time assistant coaching jobs after the national championship season. Kenechi Udeze, a defensive analyst, joined Vanderbilt this week as a linebackers coach, and graduate assistant John Decoster, who focused on tight ends, left to be a full-time tight ends coach at Old Dominion.

xraes
I'll give BU credit - we are opening up the purse strings.
Huge get!!
Doc Holliday
Forest Bueller_bf
I'm thinking this hire is a really good thing.

Brewer doesn't have the arm strength for the passing game Joe Burrow was able to develop, but Zeno has some real zip and may can be able to make most of the throws in their arsenal in the future.

That doesn't take away from Brewers overall game, but a big part of his game is improvisation to get extra yards and taking big hits at the end of those runs.

I just don't want to see him getting permanently damaged.

Brewer is already a Baylor legend if he retired tomorrow.

Tough decisions are going to have to be made, health may end up being the primary consideration.

But man, I think this is a great hire.
gobears20
Staff
When LSU got him

Continuing the offensive overhaul of the coaching staff at LSU, Ed Orgeron is bringing in one of the state's most experienced offensive minds to Baton Rouge.
According to FootballScoop, LSU will be adding Louisiana Lafayette assistant coach Jorge Munoz to Orgeron's coaching staff for the 2018 season. Munoz served at ULL for the past 10 seasons. Last season, Munoz was the ULL receivers coach, a position he also held from 2010-15. He served as the program's offensive coordinator in 2016.
Munoz's offensive knowledge goes well beyond the receiver position, as he also has experience as a passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach for ULL. During the 2008 season, while serving as QB coach and passing coordinator, ULL QB Michael Desormeaux was named Sun Belt Conference Offensive Player of the Year.
The assistant coach also has experience at Charleston Southern, Anderson College, Southeast Missouri and Bethany College.
Considering the offensive massive overhaul underway in Baton Rouge, adding a coach with this much experience should only help ease the transition from Matt Canada's offense back to Steve Ensminger's system in 2018.
Bigkahunaww
Great hire !!
As was said earlier, he will be great for both the QBs and the wide receivers.

But if Aranda chose him for that position, then I'm thinking he must have a grand slam HR for the OC position.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
PartyBear
xraes said:

I'll give BU credit - we are opening up the purse strings.
Huge get!!
We have been doing that for about a decade now.
Doc Holliday
If he steals another staff member...we might have to start calling him 'Coach Poach'.
DancinBear09
Forest Bueller_bf said:

Brewer doesn't have the arm strength for the passing game Joe Burrow was able to develop, but Zeno has some real zip and may can be able to make most of the throws in their arsenal in the future.

That doesn't take away from Brewers overall game, but a big part of his game is improvisation to get extra yards and taking big hits at the end of those runs.

Tough decisions are going to have to be made, health may end up being the primary consideration.

Definitely a great hire and I love the fact that he is bringing staff he is familiar with with a great track record. It will be interesting to see who we bring on as OC, but based on what I am seeing so far, I imagine it will be a top candidate.

As for Brewer, I really wish that kid would hang em up. He has had 6+ concussions at his time at Baylor and he has the rest of his life to think about. Not worth mortgaging his future on one more year of college football imo.
Timbear
Love Coach Dave and this hire.
Forest Bueller_bf
Timbear said:

Love Coach Dave and this hire.
Amen.
Forest Bueller_bf
DancinBear09 said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Definitely a great hire and I love the fact that he is bringing staff he is familiar with with a great track record. It will be interesting to see who we bring on as OC, but based on what I am seeing so far, I imagine it will be a top candidate.

As for Brewer, I really wish that kid would hang em up. He has had 6+ concussions at his time at Baylor and he has the rest of his life to think about. Not worth mortgaging his future on one more year of college football imo.

I didn't want to out and out say that, but I agree 100%.
Big_Pumpin
Bigkahunaww said:

Great hire !!

But if Aranda chose him for that position, then I'm thinking he must have a grand slam HR for the OC position.

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder who it's going to be? Or he's putting solid people around Nixon. What is Nixon up to? Nobody is talking about him.
boognish_bear
Here is some insight into how he contributed to the LSU offense and Burrow's success:

LSU's Jorge Munoz set to join Baylor staff

by Shea Dixon4 hours ago

LSU analyst Jorge Munoz is set to join the Baylor Bears staff as wide receivers coach, multiple sources confirmed with the Geaux247 staff on Thursday morning.

Munoz spent the past two seasons in Baton Rouge working on the offensive side of the football, with a focus put on quarterbacks and the passing game. Munoz spent game days on the sidelines with offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and passing game coordinator Joe Brady both in the booth.

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow had praised Munoz for his work with the quarterback room, even bringing Munoz to New York City to join Ensminger, Brady and head coach Ed Orgeron at the Heisman Trophy presentation.

"Coach Joe, coach Steve, coach Munoz are all here," Burrow said. "You guys have helped me through so much, understanding the game, putting so much on my plate. I couldn't ask for a better group of coaches to help me be successful."

Munoz was one of 15 analysts and a pair of consultants who worked behind the scenes for the Tigers this season, a key part to Orgeron's plan for building a program that could ultimately finish at 15-0 and win a National Championship.

"These guys have made all the difference in the world," Orgeron said in December. "I think it's a direct result in our success. We were so behind. Now we have the power, the knowledge, the advanced scouting, analysts breaking down everything we're doing. We have answers for our players. Our coaches are able to get more information a lot quicker, put in the game plan a lot quicker."

Now, Munoz is back in a full-time role with former LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda as part of Baylor's staff.

"While we're game-planning on Monday and Tuesday and setting up our first- and second-down game plan, Jorge is kind of setting up our blitz package on first and second down that we can send to Joe (Burrow)," Ensminger told The Advocate last month. "On Tuesday, he'll put together our third-down blitz package to present to Joe. The stuff he stays ahead of for me and Brady is outstanding."

Added Burrow: ""He's meant so much to me. He helps me get those third-down blitzes picked up every week. So many teams have super-exotic packages, and he narrows it down to one, two, three things that my eyes have to look at so I can get these blitzes picked up. That's a big reason why we're one of the top third-down teams in the country."

Munoz joins a handful of off-field coaches who have used the 15-0 season to land on-field jobs in recent weeks, with defensive analyst Kenechi Udeze headed to Vanderbilt as defensive line coach and graduate assistant John Decoster taking the tight ends job at Old Dominion.

With Brady gone from the staff in Baton Rouge, LSU is still likely to make a hire on the offensive side of the football, with that addition likely to come with a focus on the passing game. Ensminger returns as LSU's offensive coordinator for the 2020 season, but with Brady now in Carolina, Orgeron likely has his eye on a name to slide into the vacant spot Brady left on staff.
BearFan33
I'm thrilled to hear some more of the LSU magic is coming our way. Munoz seems to be in the middle of it. With that, I was struck by this quote from the article....

"Munoz was one of 15 analysts and a pair of consultants who worked behind the scenes for the Tigers this season, a key part to Orgeron's plan for building a program that could ultimately finish at 15-0 and win a National Championship."

Like a shadow coaching staff? Is it normal to have this many analysts and consultants working for a team?
boognish_bear
BearFan33 said:

I'm thrilled to hear some more of the LSU magic is coming our way. Munoz seems to be in the middle of it. With that, I was struck by this quote from the article....

"Munoz was one of 15 analysts and a pair of consultants who worked behind the scenes for the Tigers this season, a key part to Orgeron's plan for building a program that could ultimately finish at 15-0 and win a National Championship."

Like a shadow coaching staff? Is it normal to have this many analysts and consultants working for a team?
That caught my attention too. I know there is a capped limit to how many "on field" coaches you can hire. I'm not sure how "analysts" fit into the equation. Seems like there is no cap on them.
Dman
Big_Pumpin said:

Bigkahunaww said:

Great hire !!

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder who it's going to be? Or he's putting solid people around Nixon. What is Nixon up to? Nobody is talking about him.
There is a reason. He was Rhule's roommate who had never been an OC at the college level. He was and is unproven.
Timbear
LSU had a whole staff of analysts, not "coaches", but analysts. (About the same thing)We're now able to look behind the curtain at what top Sec and Bluebloods do to stay that way. Coach Granda could be the guy that puts both O and D together for the first time at Baylor.
boognish_bear
Timbear said:

Coach Granda could be the guy that puts both O and D together for the first time at Baylor.
Coach Granda....I kind of like that...
gobears20
Staff
DaRealBears
gobears20 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_00d978dc-3df2-11ea-b46b-bf4b1a62a312.amp.html

Baylor coach Dave Aranda has hired away his first staff member from his former employer.
The former LSU defensive coordinator will hire LSU analyst Jorge Munoz as a wide receivers coach, according to multiple reports Thursday morning.
Munoz focused on offense in his two years in Baton Rouge, and he worked behind the scenes in the non-coaching role to help support LSU's record-breaking offense in 2019 along with offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger and passing game coordinator Joe Brady.
The Athletic was the first to report the news.

Munoz is a former offensive coordinator at Louisiana-Lafayette, and LSU quarterback Joe Burrow credited and thanked him during his Heisman Trophy speech in New York.
Munoz was considered in some reports for the Oregon offensive coordinator position that eventually went to former Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead.
Munoz is the third coach to depart LSU coach Ed Orgeron's staff for full-time assistant coaching jobs after the national championship season. Kenechi Udeze, a defensive analyst, joined Vanderbilt this week as a linebackers coach, and graduate assistant John Decoster, who focused on tight ends, left to be a full-time tight ends coach at Old Dominion.

"Hired away his first staff member from his former employer"? I thought the LSU defensive line coach was coming?
Big_Pumpin
I feel like we need to be more excited about this hire!
xraes
Big_Pumpin said:

I feel like we need to be more excited about this hire!
We should be REALLY EXCITED!!

I'm a bit shocked we got him to come along. Just check out Tiger Rant if you want to see how bad LSU didn't want to lose him. I know many thought he would be their next OC.

Jorge is a stud - next best thing to Joe Brady we could have hired.
CoachHBU2008
Super stoked about this hire! He is the guy behind Burrow development as a game manager. I don't know if everyone realize how much this made the train go at LSU. For all the light shows that everyone saw getting tossed in the air, what subtlety went unnoticed was Burrows command of setting the protection. LSU has a great offensive line, but Burrow helped get them in to some protections against some exotic blitzes. For how deep they loved throwing the ball, that is HUGE. Especially on 3rd down. That is the money down. If you win that down statistics say you win the game. Munoz is the mastermind behind it. I am excited.

I too also found the use of analysts very interesting. Alabama does the same thing. You only have so many hours to prepare the team each week. Having the ability to have almost a full time coaching staff, in capacities that aren't full time so to speak, has to be a great edge against teams that don't have those resources. If we are willing to pay the bill for this, I wonder if it is a philosophy CDA is thinking of bringing with him to Baylor.

Last, but not least I can't help but think of the impact this may have on Charlie. Now, I agree with a lot on this board that I am more concerned about his health more than his development. Some I think would rather see him hang it up to usher in the Zeno era (lol). But what I find interesting is that Joe Burrow and Charlie have eeriely similar situations at this point of their careers. Joe was a 59% completion qb. Charlie is in the 60s. The thing that has caught my attention is their pedigree. Joe mentioned the thing that he loved most about Brady's offensive additions is that he was comfortable in it. It incorporated things he was very familiar with growing up playing quarterback. It was what he did in high school at an elite level. Now here we have Charlie Brewer. Born and bread in a Travis spread offense that he operated to perfection. Operated on Texas High School Football Hall of Fame levels. I'd be interested to see if these additions along with the extra responsibility of calling the game from the line of scrimmage matched with possibly doing more uptempo things, will take his play to the next level. Where he can go back to his strengths in high school of being a natural distributor of the ball rather than the key playmaker. All of this are wonderings and hypocriticals. Just because it worked for Burrow and LSU doesn't necessarily mean it would be the case with Charlie. But it does have me wondering. I'm going to be very interested in that qb room this spring. For all of the quarterbacks. Brewer, Zeno and even Bohannon. I'm not yet ruling him out. What is this offense really going to look like? Who is going to be the primary play caller (will that still be Nixon)? The qb who takes to this offense the quickest and the best will be the guy and could potentially have not a Joe Burrow year, but a very accomplished one. We'll have to wait and see.
BUbackerinET
Tremendous hire - here we go!!
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.