Football
Sponsored by

Five Virginia Tech Football Players Enter Transfer Portal

2,897 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thee University
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Aliceinbubbleland
I really really really do not like this
BUbackerinET
There's going to have to some oversight and/or limitations on this. I'm all for players getting a shot if he/she is not getting it in his current situation, but this is getting out of hand, and there need to be some more serious consideration other than the "sit out" rules. Something like the school that signs the transferring player pays the school the player is leaving a 1-year scholarship amount.
coldhardtruth
If coaches and non-student athletes can transfer or leave whenever they want, then student athletes should have that ability.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
Aliceinbubbleland
Maybe ask the receiving school to reimburse the sending school for all the cost they paid for the "student athlete" would be a good start.
EK bear
Considering their coach was rumored to be leaving for Baylor is this all that surprising?
Karab
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Maybe ask the receiving school to reimburse the sending school for all the cost they paid for the "student athlete" would be a good start.

What are they, slaves?

A scholarship is financial aid given so long as you are a student at the school. It's supposed to be an incentive for the student, not a form of usury or extortion for the school.
Bear15
Fuente is a dick and his players hate him and the fans hate him.

We dodged a high caliber bullet not hiring him.
DST
Karab said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

What are they, slaves?

A scholarship is financial aid given so long as you are a student at the school. It's supposed to be an incentive for the student, not a form of usury or extortion for the school.
This. I can't think of many college football hot takes that could be worse than thinking student athletes shouldn't be allowed to transfer with little to no penalty. Regular students can transfer schools whenever they want to, even if they're on academic scholarship.

These are student athletes, not contracted workers. Some of you want to not pay them AND own them?
Aliceinbubbleland
They are becoming contract workers. I like kids who love their school. Not their position in the NFL draft.
contrario
coldhardtruth said:

If coaches and non-student athletes can transfer or leave whenever they want, then student athletes should have that ability.
This.

Many Baylor fans are conservative people and many of them are firm believers in the free market. Yet, when it comes to college athletics, they are as anti-free market as possible. It's really amazing to watch these people that would spew free market principles any chance they get completely abandon those principles in the name of their alma mater winning college football games. So stupid. Smh
Thee University
Free market?

You guys like the "transfer portal" (sounds a bit science fiction to me) until it negatively affects our team.

The continuing raping and pillaging of NCAA football is going to drive more and more fans away from the game.

The recent and proposed changes are not good for small, private schools.

Give me a kid who wants to work and earn respect, who is loyal to and truly understands the University mission statement and wants to earn a Baylor degree ANY day over these pampered and babied egomaniacs who have not earned much of anything in their lives.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.