Football
Sponsored by

The 8 "Blue Blood" schools as identified by 120,000 twitter users

7,729 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HarryMehre
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas last in line....but still makes the cut.

BellCountyBear
Nebraska hasn't been relevant in over a decade.
drahthaar
I'd have to drop Huskers and add Nittany Lions.
BearlySober
Agree about Nebraska, but a blue blood isn't about current relevance. Now I do believe that they will continue to fade, but historically they have been better than Penn State.

Nebraska has 902 wins (barely edging out Penn State with 898 - Penn State's latest run has closed the gap significantly as Nebraska continues to wander in the wilderness after Osborne).
Both have 5 claimed national titles, but Nebraska has an additional 9 unclaimed national titles.
Nebraska has 46 conference titles and 10 division titles to Penn State's 5 conference titles and 2 division titles (obviously the division titles were added for the Big 12 and much later for the B1G).
Nebraska has 3 Heisman winners to Penn State's 1.
Nebraska has 54 consensus all-americans to Penn State's 42.
Malbec
Quote:

...Nebraska has 46 conference titles and 10 division titles to Penn State's 5 conference titles and 2 division titles
Penn State played as an independent for over 100 years without a conference affiliation. Pomegranates and oranges.
contrario
No aggy on the list
BearlySober
Malbec said:

Quote:

...Nebraska has 46 conference titles and 10 division titles to Penn State's 5 conference titles and 2 division titles
Penn State played as an independent for over 100 years without a conference affiliation. Pomegranates and oranges.

Dammit...you're right and I knew that...just wasn't thinking when I was looking through the numbers.
Jack Bauer
USC???
Jacques Strap
Jack Bauer said:

USC???
It's an impressive resume.

Formed in 1888, the program has over 830 wins and claims 11 consensus Division I Football National Championships. USC has had 13 undefeated seasons including 8 perfect seasons, and 39 conference championships. USC has produced 7 Heisman Trophy winners, 81 first-team Consensus All-Americans, including 27 Unanimous selections, and 510 NFL draft picks, most all-time by any university, The Trojans also have had more players drafted in the first round than any other university, with 80 as of the 2017 draft. USC has had 34 members inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame, including former players Matt Leinart, O.J. Simpson, and Ronnie Lott and former coaches John McKay and Howard Jones. The Trojans boast 12 inductees in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the second-most of any school, including Junior Seau, Bruce Matthews, Marcus Allen, and Ron Yary

The Trojans have 53 bowl appearances, 39 of which are among the New Year's Six Bowls. With a record of 3419, USC has the highest all-time post-season winning percentage of schools with 25 or more bowl appearances.

Back in the day there were few televised games so you watched what was available. I still remember watching this one with my friends. Epic comeback.

TechDawgMc
Jaques--I remember that comeback game. The two kickoff returns in the same game were something at the time.

I notice that the three Florida schools show up next in the list after PSU. Kind of a shift in thinking there since they pretty much all didn't move into the conversation until the early 80s.
whitetrash
BearlySober said:

Both have 5 claimed national titles, but Nebraska has an additional 9 unclaimed national titles.

Which is second all time in NCAA history, behind Aggy with 43.
boognish_bear
Interesting....if you look at the top 8 schools ranked by number of appearance in the final AP poll of each season since 1936 it matches up with the top 8 schools identified in the twitter poll.

boognish_bear
It's been a bit of a dry run for the last decade for these blue bloods....USC, ND, Mich, Neb, and UT. These 5 schools have only finished the season in the Top 10 a combined 6 times over the last decade.

USC 2 times
ND 2 times
Mich 1 time
UT 1 time
Neb zero

none

UT 9th
ND 5th

none

USC 3rd
Mich 10th

none

none

none

ND 4th

USC 6th

none

boognish_bear
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

Washington is the only one on that list to have gone both 12-0 and 0-12 in the last 30 years.
Crap in the woods bear
Well shucks! My Aggies, excuse me....Aggys, are not in the top 10 so we will never win anything.

But of course that doesn't mean Baylor won't. Y'all are different.
Username checks out
Nebraska lol
Crap in the woods bear
Username checks out said:

Nebraska lol

Nice username.
Krieg
Crap in the woods bear said:

Well shucks! My Aggies, excuse me....Aggys, are not in the top 10 so we will never win anything.

I mean, we've won 2 more conference titles in the 21st century.
Crap in the woods bear
Krieg said:

Crap in the woods bear said:

I mean, we've won 2 more conference titles in the 21st century.

Kick ass my friend!
Osodecentx
boognish_bear said:

It's been a bit of a dry run for the last decade for these blue bloods....USC, ND, Mich, Neb, and UT. These 5 schools have only finished the season in the Top 10 a combined 6 times over the last decade.

USC 2 times
ND 2 times
Mich 1 time
UT 1 time
Neb zero

none

UT 9th
ND 5th

none

USC 3rd
Mich 10th

none

none

none

ND 4th

USC 6th

none

Good info
outside observer
As a TX fan I think we deserve to be on the list. But we should be ahead of MI and the Golden Domers. MI has 1 NC in the last 72 years and they had to share that with NB. The Golden Domers haven't won a nc in 32 years and they're not going to win another one anytime soon. Brian Kelly is not up to the task. And between PS and NB i choose PS.
Redbrickbear
Nebraska is in the most danger of dropping out of the blue bloods.

Mainly because it is such a small population state and with all college teams on tv now they have lost that advantage.

If LSU, Clemson, or a revived Penn State win a few more national titles I really think they would "deserve" to replace corn on that list.

But just my opinion.
Buttpanda
Redbrickbear said:

Mainly because it is such a small population state and with all college teams on tv now they have lost that advantage.

If LSU, Clemson, or a revived Penn State win a few more national titles I really think they would "deserve" to replace corn on that list.

But just my opinion.
Agreed, but that doesn't happen over night. It'll take another 20 years similar to the last 20 for that to happen. LSU has won three natties since Nebraska's last one, while Clemson has two and Penn St. has zero. I think it's safe to say Dabo will likely win at least 1-2 more natties in the next 20 years, and I'd also expect LSU to get ast least one more in that time span. Penn St. on the other hand..it's hard to say. Even with Paterno they haven't won anything in 30 years, and they're really only relevant because of him. To this point, Franklin hasn't shown that he has what it takes to win a natty. I'd bet on Tennessee or UGA winning a title before Penn St. at this point, just due to the amount of talent they have access to in the SEC region.
Keyser Soze
Blue Blood = most T Shirt fans
BUmoneymaker
Keyser Soze said:

I agree with Verbal Kent

"I hope" -Red

"Apply yourself" -W.White

"Guys, who is Keyser Soze?" - K. Soze

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." -J.L. Picard
TeamPlayer
I guessed Florida in, Nebraska and Penn State first two out. But all 3 are blue bloods. Not sure why there is 8 vs. 10?

Buttpanda
TeamPlayer said:

I guessed Florida in, Nebraska and Penn State first two out. But all 3 are blue bloods. Not sure why there is 8 vs. 10?

If you look at all-time wins, bowl wins, Heismans, national championships, all americans, all-time winning %, weeks ranked, and a few other categories, those 8 teams are far and away separated from all the rest. Even if you go category by category those 8 are so far ahead of all the others it's crazy.
Jorkel
Buttpanda said:

Redbrickbear said:

But just my opinion.
Agreed, but that doesn't happen over night. It'll take another 20 years similar to the last 20 for that to happen. LSU has won three natties since Nebraska's last one, while Clemson has two and Penn St. has zero. I think it's safe to say Dabo will likely win at least 1-2 more natties in the next 20 years, and I'd also expect LSU to get ast least one more in that time span. Penn St. on the other hand..it's hard to say. Even with Paterno they haven't won anything in 30 years, and they're really only relevant because of him. To this point, Franklin hasn't shown that he has what it takes to win a natty. I'd bet on Tennessee or UGA winning a title before Penn St. at this point, just due to the amount of talent they have access to in the SEC region.

Tennessee is a dead program like Nebraska
Aberzombie1892
Buttpanda said:

TeamPlayer said:

If you look at all-time wins, bowl wins, Heismans, national championships, all americans, all-time winning %, weeks ranked, and a few other categories, those 8 teams are far and away separated from all the rest. Even if you go category by category those 8 are so far ahead of all the others it's crazy.
This. The is a recent trend to place extra emphasis on recent seasons (i.e. push LSU up and Nebraska down), and that's not how the blue blood status is applied.
Timbear
To be a Blueblood takes a long history going back decades of winning National Championships. The last 10 years, however, Baylor is on the national football radar, and now Coach A is positioning us to be among the new breed of dominant programs.
Redbrickbear
Keyser Soze said:

That is why Nebraska is in danger.

Michigan may not win much anymore...but they are still in a high population state and still have lots of t-shirt fans.

Nebraska only has 1.9 million people in it.....same as West Virginia basically.

And other than native Nebraskans....the only people who are t-shirt fans of corn are all in their 40s now.

Another 15-20 years of no national titles, no conference titles, and 4-8 wins seasons....and you have to drop them off the list as a blue blood.

I mean Yale football has almost 30 national titles and 100 consensus All-Americans.....yet no one today calls them a blue blood.
Brian the Dog
Texas has what one in the last fifty? Three total? 1970 doesn't count. You lost to, wait for it, Norte Dame in the Cotton Bowl. Norte Dame could not win a thing for the next fifty years and still be more of a blue blood than UT.
Redbrickbear
Brian the Dog said:

Texas has what one in the last fifty? Three total? 1970 doesn't count. You lost to, wait for it, Norte Dame in the Cotton Bowl. Norte Dame could not win a thing for the next fifty years and still be more of a blue blood than UT.
ut will always have that t-shirt angle......almost 30 million people in Texas now.

And many of our fellow Texans unfortunately think the spoiled arrogant jerks in Austin represent them.

They will always be relevant. But I will say they had better pick it up and be in the running for a national title soon or they might find themselves forever behind OU in the Big 12.
Mr Tulip
UNL has the problem that its success was tied to a very specific style of ball. The Huskers were VERY good at that specific style. Their geography, though, meant they needed to draw players from across the country. They pulled players in from Florida.

Looking back, there's a temptation to be overly judgemental. In the 70s and 80s, college football was emerging from an activity to something nationally followed and endlessly funded. As a result, the rules (and enforcement) hadn't really caught up with the fervor. The Big 8 (and others) took advantage of that to draw in players that wouldn't have options elsewhere. Once again, Nebraska found ways to get their kids.

Nowadays, playing the old power option won't get you into the NFL on the first go around. Kids can fly anywhere, go anywhere, and be seen on TV. Couple that with their move to the Big 10, and you've got a lost team that can't even make noise in their own conference.

I like Nebraska just fine. It's just hard for me to see them as anything more than a team going the way of Army - a product of the time that isn't likely to be replicated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.