Football
Sponsored by

CAB interviewed by Smoak today on YMTC

25,384 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by summaryjudged
Thee University
How long do you want to ignore this user?
REX said:

Thee University said:

longtimebear said:

All I can say is it was good to hear his voice again. This man loved his job and the kids he coached and will always be missed by me. Who among us have done everything right without regrets. At the end of the interview his pain and anguish really showed thru and I'll forever be sad at the way the press, Baylor's higher-ups and fans treated this man. May God bless Arthur Briles.
It's amazing what a $5M salary can do to you. He knew what could have happened and what did happen. It comes with the job but it did not have to end like it did. You think his pain & anguish shows through?

I'll be forever sad for the women violated, the players who might have flourished with discipline, sad for Baylor alumni who did nothing to deserve the tarring and feathering brought on by inactivity at the President, AD and BOR levels. The nerds here on 365 certainly could not have been fine with the collateral damage incurred.

God knows the truth. We don't have to worry about it.

Listen you got whipped 2-30 in the biggest game in bu history
You've got to let it go and move on
Most of the alumni have gotten over the 2-30 tarring and feathering
It's going to be ok
Finally!!!

You admit the 1981 Cotton Bowl was the biggest game in Baylor history!!!!!
Ursus Americanus
REX said:

Thee University said:

longtimebear said:

All I can say is it was good to hear his voice again. This man loved his job and the kids he coached and will always be missed by me. Who among us have done everything right without regrets. At the end of the interview his pain and anguish really showed thru and I'll forever be sad at the way the press, Baylor's higher-ups and fans treated this man. May God bless Arthur Briles.
It's amazing what a $5M salary can do to you. He knew what could have happened and what did happen. It comes with the job but it did not have to end like it did. You think his pain & anguish shows through?

I'll be forever sad for the women violated, the players who might have flourished with discipline, sad for Baylor alumni who did nothing to deserve the tarring and feathering brought on by inactivity at the President, AD and BOR levels. The nerds here on 365 certainly could not have been fine with the collateral damage incurred.

It's going to be ok
I guess there are no Arkansas free boards to lurk on, huh?

Only explanation why you still stay here bristling about an irrelevant high school coach that
has been gone for five seasons and three coaches ago.

REX
Thee University said:

REX said:

Thee University said:

longtimebear said:

It's going to be ok
Finally!!!

Been saying that since day one
2-30
Thanks
drahthaar
Ursus Americanus said:

REX said:

Thee University said:

longtimebear said:

It's going to be ok
I guess there are no Arkansas free boards to lurk on, huh?

Only explanation why you still stay here bristling about an irrelevant high school coach that
has been gone for five seasons and three coaches ago.

Thee University
REX said:

Thee University said:

REX said:

Thee University said:

longtimebear said:

It's going to be ok
Finally!!!

Been saying that since day one
2-30
Thanks
And I've been telling you we choked since before you typed out your first pitiful post.

We choked in Fiesta and we choked in Cotton #3 too.

Let it go. I let the 1/1/1981 debacle go the next weekend when I played and represented Baylor in the Hula Bowl and the following weekend when I played and represented Baylor in the Japan Bowl.

Listen, you are going to be OK. We'll get you through this. It has only been 1.370 days of mourning & self-flagellation for you.
canoso
Brownbw said:

My feelings were different. Smoke ask him is everything getting back to normal. Briles said smoke i will never be normal again. Briles doesnt deserve to have his life destroyed because Baylor was ignoring title 9
Star was behind that. The mistakes he made were mistakes not evil. I am sorry we had to fire him and i wish him nothing but the best.
We didn't have to fire him. We needed to be redemptive, but we just didn't, or couldn't, rise to that level.
PacificBear
canoso said:

Brownbw said:

My feelings were different. Smoke ask him is everything getting back to normal. Briles said smoke i will never be normal again. Briles doesnt deserve to have his life destroyed because Baylor was ignoring title 9
Star was behind that. The mistakes he made were mistakes not evil. I am sorry we had to fire him and i wish him nothing but the best.
We didn't have to fire him. We needed to be redemptive, but we just didn't, or couldn't, rise to that level.
Robert Wilson
canoso said:

Brownbw said:

That's my current take. We didn't have to fire him. But we were more worried about public perception at that point than anything else. And it backfired. When you spend too much time worrying about what people think, you generally end up looking worse.

That is what gave rise to our problems dealing with sexual assault, and that is what infected our response to the crisis. We cared more about perception than reality.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Go Coach Grande. Sic'em Bears. Movin' on.
This sentiment would have had more value/impact in 2017 and 2018.
Thee University
Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

That's my current take. We didn't have to fire him. But we were more worried about public perception at that point than anything else. And it backfired. When you spend too much time worrying about what people think, you generally end up looking worse.

That is what gave rise to our problems dealing with sexual assault, and that is what infected our response to the crisis. We cared more about perception than reality.
On May 24, two days before the board announced plans to fire Mr. Briles, he addressed regents in a conference room in an office tower across the Brazos River from the $266 million football stadium that opened in 2014.
Baylor regents said that when Mr. Briles was asked what he would have done differently, he broke down and wept. Many board members began to cry as well.
"He couldn't speak he was so upset, and all of us were," Mr. Gray said. "Art said, 'I delegated down, and I know I shouldn't have. And I had a system where I was the last to know, and I should have been the first to know.'"
Mr. Cannon said Mr. Briles quoted Scripture and expressed his regrets over the painful situation Baylor was in, but didn't admit to wrongdoing.

We had to fire him. He had his chance to lay out his plan and could not or did not.

Perception nationwide was reality!
SATXBear
Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

On May 24, two days before the board announced plans to fire Mr. Briles, he addressed regents in a conference room in an office tower across the Brazos River from the $266 million football stadium that opened in 2014.
Baylor regents said that when Mr. Briles was asked what he would have done differently, he broke down and wept. Many board members began to cry as well.
"He couldn't speak he was so upset, and all of us were," Mr. Gray said. "Art said, 'I delegated down, and I know I shouldn't have. And I had a system where I was the last to know, and I should have been the first to know.'"
Mr. Cannon said Mr. Briles quoted Scripture and expressed his regrets over the painful situation Baylor was in, but didn't admit to wrongdoing.

We had to fire him. He had his chance to lay out his plan and could not or did not.

Pretty good summary. He gave them no other choice. I think we can all agree that Baylor University is far better off with someone other than Art Briles as the football coach. It would have been a disaster for the program to have kept him.

In contrast, Aranda is hiring quality experienced assistants and even hired an off the field general manager of sorts to handle administrative matters. The program is in much better hands at this point.
Ursus Americanus
SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Pretty good summary. He gave them no other choice. I think we can all agree that Baylor University is far better off with someone other than Art Briles as the football coach. It would have been a disaster for the program to have kept him.

In contrast, Aranda is hiring quality experienced assistants and even hired an off the field general manager of sorts to handle administrative matters. The program is in much better hands at this point.
It's unbelievable anyone on here is STILL sulking about Art Briles, he's so gone that we're about to graduate two whole classes of students that never knew him as coach.

Rhule was a home run hire a play away from the Big 12 title and playoff and was so good the NFL wanted him, now we just got the most coveted defensive coordinator in the country as our coach hot off being instrumental to one of the most dominating national title teams of all-time, but the usual suspects STILL want to sulk about a high school coach in Mount Vernon no one is hiring to play big boy football.

It'll be half a decade of football this fall since his dismissal but here they STILL are, sulking.

The game has evolved and the league has evolved, and Baylor is in position to evolve better with the current staff, which is head to toe better than it ever was under Briles, and has ZERO nepotism in its ranks, but here they STILL are, sulking.

I wonder how many Aggies still pine for Jackie Sherrill.

Reverend
Who has perpetuated this thread? It's the nut cases and brained damaged... for sure.

It was a report on an interview, and it has set off the usual response.

Thee and Milli...get a life. Move on and shut the hell up. "Get a f***ing job!" Lol
Ursus Americanus
Reverend said:

Who has perpetuated this thread? It's the nut cases and brained damaged... for sure.

Thee and Milli...get a life. Move on and shut the hell up. "Get a f***ing job!" Lol
Fantastic self awareness in your first sentence, but why are you still dominated by an imaginary friend and Thee?

Anger isn't making your obsession anymore irrelevant, just allows your imaginary friend to be eternal without any effort on their part.
REX
Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

It's unbelievable anyone on here is STILL sulking about Art Briles, he's so gone that we're about to graduate two whole classes of students that never knew him as coach.

Rhule was a home run hire a play away from the Big 12 title and playoff and was so good the NFL wanted him, now we just got the most coveted defensive coordinator in the country as our coach hot off being instrumental to one of the most dominating national title teams of all-time, but the usual suspects STILL want to sulk about a high school coach in Mount Vernon no one is hiring to play big boy football.

It'll be half a decade of football this fall since his dismissal but here they STILL are, sulking.

The game has evolved and the league has evolved, and Baylor is in position to evolve better with the current staff, which is head to toe better than it ever was under Briles, and has ZERO nepotism in its ranks, but here they STILL are, sulking.

Coach Briles won two Big 12 titles (the same number
Thee's team scored). Not a "play" away
Darn facts
Thanks
SATXBear
REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

You don't have much going on in your life do you?
Thee University
Reverend said:

Why are you so angry?

1,371 days and counting!
Thee University
REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks
He needed help to win one and help to tie for one with TCU.

Facts!

REX
Thee University said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Facts!

WIN
my favorite word
Yogi
Thee University said:

longtimebear said:

Judging by the animosity you have in your heart for Art Briles, maybe you should.

Maybe you're just as bad of a person. Have you given that some thought?

I am not saying that is your intention; I am saying that you are human - and you will be judged just as Art will one day.

And here's the part that's really going to piss you off: God wants both of you in Heaven.

The Father didn't just seek the brother in the field; he sought the prodigal son. Might I suggest you get rid of the nasty, nefarious grudges that burden your heart and join in on the celebration with everyone else.

Not "judging"; I just love ya, I think you're a great man, and I want you want you to come home free.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Keyser Soze
REX said:

Thee University said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Facts!

WIN at all cost
my favorite words

FIFY
REX
Keyser Soze said:

REX said:

Thee University said:

REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Facts!

WIN at all cost
my favorite words

FIFY

Thanks
You are correct
WIN
Try it sometime it's nice
Thee University
REX said:

Thee University said:

longtimebear said:

It's going to be ok
I'm not going to leave you here to self-flagellate yourself for another 1,370+ days. I'm going to help you break free and live a productive life. It's my duty.

Whether 1 point or 28 points to a national powerhouse with the most national titles in football, Baylor got embarrassed.

Even though you are not a Baylor graduate, your family sucked on the Baylor teat for a short time. You had it made but like Bushwood Country Club, some people just don't belong. We can get you in at Connally. I think. Let me make a few calls on your behalf.
Malbec
Somebody please lock this ****.
Reverend
Agree to lock. At midnight Thee can add another day to his count, but he's the only one counting. Sad.

Just shut up!
TheAgentGrant
Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Jackie Sherrill still hangs out at TAMU though, and is active and very much welcomed in College Station.
The Aggies I played with in high school (three Dausin brothers) and he was at Chris's funeral a few years back. I have been to a few games over the years there and for the most part Aggies think the world of the guy.
AgentGrant
Chuckroast
SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Briles thought he had a team of off the field people handling administrative matters. I think he was told to coach football. In hindsight, we have learned that was not ok. I think his mistake was trusting the heirarchy that Baylor had in place back then.

Don't know why it's okay for a new coach to rely on other off the field administrators if it wasn't for Briles. Disclaimer: I'm a huge Aranda fan and agree he should be able to have and rely on off the field administrators.
Chuckroast
REX said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Darn facts
Thanks

Not to mention that some people simply don't like to sweep injustice under the rug.
Keyser Soze
Chuckroast said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Briles thought he had a team of off the field people handling administrative matters. I think he was told to coach football. In hindsight, we have learned that was not ok. I think his mistake was trusting the heirarchy that Baylor had in place back then.

Don't know why it's okay for a new coach to rely on other off the field administrators if it wasn't for Briles. Disclaimer: I'm a huge Aranda fan and agree he should be able to have and rely on off the field administrators.
Meanwhile, Coach Briles texted Athletics

Director Ian McCaw: "Just talked to [the player] he said Waco PD was there
said they were going to keep it quiet Wasn't a set up deal... I'll get shill
(Shillinglaw) to ck on Sibley (local attorney Jonathan Sibley)." Athletics
Director Ian McCaw replied: "That would be great if they kept it quiet!"

He definitely had a team.
Thee University
Yogi said:

Judging by the animosity you have in your heart for Art Briles, maybe you should.

Maybe you're just as bad of a person. Have you given that some thought?

I am not saying that is your intention; I am saying that you are human - and you will be judged just as Art will one day.

And here's the part that's really going to piss you off: God wants both of you in Heaven.

The Father didn't just seek the brother in the field; he sought the prodigal son. Might I suggest you get rid of the nasty, nefarious grudges that burden your heart and join in on the celebration with everyone else.

Not "judging"; I just love ya, I think you're a great man, and I want you want you to come home free.
How do you know what is in my heart?

Piss me off? God has me.

Grudges? No. Supreme disappointment fit for a harmless sports bulletin board.
Ursus Americanus
TheAgentGrant said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

Jackie Sherrill still hangs out at TAMU though, and is active and very much welcomed in College Station.
The Aggies I played with in high school (three Dausin brothers) and he was at Chris's funeral a few years back. I have been to a few games over the years there and for the most part Aggies think the world of the guy.
Cabers are a type of aggy.
TheAgentGrant
Ursus Americanus said:

TheAgentGrant said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

You made a statement. " I wonder how many Aggies still pine for Jackie Sherrill." Not a true comparison of how some feel about Briles. Truth is if Art would have never been at Baylor regardless of the scandal, we are still a 1-11 program and in last place 20 plus years later.

The truth is Texas A&M very much embraces Jackie because of what he did with their program. He is very much involved in game day.
AgentGrant
Ursus Americanus
TheAgentGrant said:

Ursus Americanus said:

TheAgentGrant said:

Ursus Americanus said:

SATXBear said:

Thee University said:

Robert Wilson said:

canoso said:

Brownbw said:

You made a statement. " I wonder how many Aggies still pine for Jackie Sherrill." Not a true comparison of how some feel about Briles. Truth is if Art would have never been at Baylor regardless of the scandal, we are still a 1-11 program and in last place 20 plus years later.

The truth is Texas A&M very much embraces Jackie because of what he did with their program. He is very much involved in game day.
Which is a very aggy thing to do for a guy that almost got them the death penalty from his cheating antics, or as they call it, the good ol' days.

Same with the cabers who won't shut up about 2011 thru 2015 and deem the present success as an affront to their fallen hero.

Robert Wilson
I had a great time this year, sans a Big 12 championship.

I love the staff Aranda has put together.

We wouldn't have our current success without Briles.

Tar and feather him with snippets out of context all you want, but he pulled us out of the football ditch and won the only B12 championships we've got.

Anyone claiming our failures weren't university wide is being intentionally obtuse. He was a convenient bright shiny object to throw to second tier journalists. Larry, Moe, and Curly could've handled that mess better.
Ursus Americanus
Robert Wilson said:

I had a great time this year, sans a Big 12 championship.

I love the staff Aranda has put together.

We wouldn't have our current success without Briles.

Tar and feather him with snippets out of context all you want, but he pulled us out of the football ditch and won the only B12 championships we've got.

Anyone claiming our failures weren't university wide is being intentionally obtuse. He was a convenient bright shiny object to throw to second tier journalists. Larry, Moe, and Curly could've handled that mess better.
He also put us in a ditch which required a complete rebuild, and almost caused the destruction of the program if not membership in a P5 conference, something you neglect to remember or acknowledge because you really don't care.

Intentionally obtuse is a fantastic description of you.

And Briles had Larry, Moe, and Curly on staff via nepotism behaving as fixers and trying to run a big boy program like it was Stephenville.

It's a boring topic to rehash, you've had more than enough time to get it out of your system.

He's gone, with good reason, and two great hires have picked up the baton and kept running since.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.