Football
Sponsored by

Cam Newton to leave Panthers

3,947 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dia del DougO
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Things are getting kind of ugly with Cam. Some people are upset that just 2 weeks ago Rhule was saying he definitely wanted Cam on the Panthers.

Wichitabear
boognish_bear said:

Things are getting kind of ugly with Cam. Some people are upset that just 2 weeks ago Rhule was saying he definitely wanted Cam on the Panthers.

He always sounds genuinely sincere.
RegentCoverup
i respect the right of coaches to clean house when they take a new job and I would absolutely do the same. In the business world, that's the norm. Loyalty matters. It was one of the reasons why Rhule won games in Year 3. Pure and simple.

But this is the blowback of the doublespeak when you make it sound like you want someone on your squad in public and then privately do something else.

These guys will learn, but I doubt many here are shocked.
boognish_bear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

i respect the right of coaches to clean house when they take a new job and I would absolutely do the same. In the business world, that's the norm. Loyalty matters. It was one of the reasons why Rhule won games in Year 3. Pure and simple.

But this is the blowback of the doublespeak when you make it sound like you want someone on your squad in public and then privately do something else.

Agree. I have never been a fan of Cam and I'm not surprised Rhule wants a fresh start with him out of the locker room.

He should've been more generic about him in his comments a few weeks ago.
boognish_bear
Wichitabear said:

boognish_bear said:

He always sounds genuinely sincere.

He certainly does
Wichitabear
I will always appreciate Rhule and the difference he made in our program. How he ended it was troubling to me with our players. I wish him well
RegentCoverup
boognish_bear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Agree. I have never been a fan of Cam and I'm not surprised Rhule wants a fresh start with him out of the locker room.

I'm a huge Cam Newton fan, but there is a great deal of entitlement in pro athletes that have signed the very lucrative deals. Granted they did earn it, they did work hard, but as a customer, I want to see the players that are playing to earn it, that's more exciting to me. Not to take any money away from anyone, they deserve cash. But he would have been wise to negotiate more hard ball with the Panthers. Goes to show agents in the sports biz are slow to react. Cam should have put the pressure on management from day 1.

What Matt may learn the hard way though is that it's not what Cam Newton thinks about this deal, it's what the other players in the locker room think about this deal. Who do you think the players will believe in this? Cam Newton. And that goes for the owner, too.

Hedge fund people think it's all bottom line numbers, but winning in team sports comes from culture. You won't cut everyone and it work out. A younger more talented player isn't always around the corner....
BluesBear
I honesty can't believe that Rhule would have taken that job at Carolina expecting Cam to be his on and off field leader. The guy is a cancer.

Bridgewater set to join Panthers on 3 yr deal - 20M a year
Doc Holliday
Why does Cam Newton use character/fonts like a 13 year old girl?
br53
Doc Holliday said:

Why does Cam Newton use character/fonts like a 13 year old girl?

That's what he is
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Stranger
Rhule made a career at Baylor of always sounding sincere. At least he sounded sincere.
I'm a Bearbacker
Dia del DougO
boognish_bear said:

Cam wants to make himself perfectly clear

Types message in hieroglyphics
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Timbear
I don't blame Rhule for wanting him gone, if for no other reason Cam's post game attire.
trey3216
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

boognish_bear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I'm a huge Cam Newton fan, but there is a great deal of entitlement in pro athletes that have signed the very lucrative deals. Granted they did earn it, they did work hard, but as a customer, I want to see the players that are playing to earn it, that's more exciting to me. Not to take any money away from anyone, they deserve cash. But he would have been wise to negotiate more hard ball with the Panthers. Goes to show agents in the sports biz are slow to react. Cam should have put the pressure on management from day 1.

What Matt may learn the hard way though is that it's not what Cam Newton thinks about this deal, it's what the other players in the locker room think about this deal. Who do you think the players will believe in this? Cam Newton. And that goes for the owner, too.

Hedge fund people think it's all bottom line numbers, but winning in team sports comes from culture. You won't cut everyone and it work out. A younger more talented player isn't always around the corner....
There was a lot of underlying frustration with Cam and the players on his team the past year. He was never going to be the Carolina QB again, even if Rivera had not been fired.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Timbear
Rhule will need to learn a more honest way to communicate.
RegentCoverup
Yeah, keeping or punting Cam isn't the issue.
NFL teams are like unions.

They eventually elect their own leader and tell the owners which coach they'll follow.
BUbackerinET
Can't locate the posts, but I predicted this, and am not surprised. No room for those 2 egos on the same team. His fate was set when Rhule was hired. Solidified when Rhule said he wanted him (have said before, and gotten blasted on this board for suggesting it, but Rhule IS NOT a man of his word, and IMO, he is dishonest). Don't be surprised if he gets traded to Cincinnati with another quality player for that first round pick - just my opinion...
BUbackerinET
And NEVER is...
Dia del DougO
I think Cam was almost as good as gone before Rhule was ever hired, possibly on the way out the door before the shelved him last year. But a new coach likes his own QB, as well.

They should have tried to trade Cam while there were still a few GMs that thought they could bring out his talent. He's been allowed to become too much of a head case and develop too many bad habits.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
RegentCoverup
BUbackerinET said:

Can't locate the posts, but I predicted this, and am not surprised. No room for those 2 egos on the same team. His fate was set when Rhule was hired. Solidified when Rhule said he wanted him (have said before, and gotten blasted on this board for suggesting it, but Rhule IS NOT a man of his word, and IMO, he is dishonest). Don't be surprised if he gets traded to Cincinnati with another quality player for that first round pick - just my opinion...
Took me a while to believe you, but this is certainly another example.

He probably didn't like Cam being in the headlines and felt like he had to say something. problem is when you say something and go against it, you lose credibility.
STxBear81
Its the norm in the real world until it happens to you....you should have been better CAM! use some of that Blinn/Auburn bag money if you need more cash

historian
FWIW, last year I had a chance to speak with someone who worked with Cam in college and that person said that he was very difficult. Other things I've read about him (very little, as I don't follow NFL too much) seem to confirm that view. Not too surprising.

This whole incident makes me think that Rhule will find being an NFL HC is very different than being one in college. I wonder if this job will last more than 4 years. His previous 2 did not.
trey3216
BUbackerinET said:

I know some of y'all hate Rhule, but Cam Newton's fate was set well before Rhule was hired. He didn't start the latter half of last year even when he was healthy enough to come back. Then that coach got fired. Cam was never going to be the Carolina QB again if Ron Rivera were still the coach, or Matt Rhule or Jesus. It wasn't happening.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Mitch Blood Green
trey3216 said:

BUbackerinET said:

I know some of y'all hate Rhule, but Cam Newton's fate was set well before Rhule was hired. He didn't start the latter half of last year even when he was healthy enough to come back. Then that coach got fired. Cam was never going to be the Carolina QB again if Ron Rivera were still the coach, or Matt Rhule or Jesus. It wasn't happening.

They say the best ability is availability. Cam is lovable if he's winning. If he's not winning? He's a guy who dresses like a clown.
br53
tommie said:

trey3216 said:

BUbackerinET said:

They say the best ability is availability. Cam is lovable if he's winning. If he's not winning? He's a guy who dresses like a clown.
"They are who we thought they were." Goes for both sides here.
BUbackerinET
Then he never should have said Cam would be the QB going forward. HE SAID HE WOULD BE THE QB, and he lied. I don't even like Cam Newton, and am certainly no defender of disruptive conduct in the locker room, but RHULE said he would be the QB - his words. My comments are not about Cam, they are about Rhule, who has shown himself not to be true to his words, and therefore not a truthful individual, and not one who can be trusted.
Stranger
BUbackerinET said:

Then he never should have said Cam would be the QB going forward. HE SAID HE WOULD BE THE QB, and he lied. I don't even like Cam Newton, and am certainly no defender of disruptive conduct in the locker room, but RHULE said he would be the QB - his words. My comments are not about Cam, they are about Rhule, who has shown himself not to be true to his words, and therefore not a truthful individual, and not one who can be trusted.

When's the last time you believed anything little Matty said?
I'm a Bearbacker
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
Rhule needs his dad next to him to behave. Surprising he's a pathological liar?
VN 68
A lowdown yankee liar
drahthaar
I don't think he's a liar at all...but he is a master at coach-speak and a master politician, which is to say deception. He probably would like Cam to stay, initially, but put the pressure on him to be a "team player" and not the coach. Newton wasn't going to do that for a minute. In retrospect, it is surprising that he had the success he had with War Eagle without blowing up the program internally. Ruhle isn't going to let a player disrupt his "kingdom"...that's the way it should be. this episode was a classic game of egos and Cam met his match. Reckon he was disappointed to wake up and realize he wasn't the Prince of Carolina? It will be interesting to see if any other team decides he's worth the risk, coming off injury and all.
br53
witchmo said:

I don't think he's a liar at all...but he is a master at coach-speak and a master politician, which is to say deception. He probably would like Cam to stay, initially, but put the pressure on him to be a "team player" and not the coach. Newton wasn't going to do that for a minute. In retrospect, it is surprising that he had the success he had with War Eagle without blowing up the program internally. Ruhle isn't going to let a player disrupt his "kingdom"...that's the way it should be. this episode was a classic game of egos and Cam met his match. Reckon he was disappointed to wake up and realize he wasn't the Prince of Carolina? It will be interesting to see if any other team decides he's worth the risk, coming off injury and all.
He wasn't there but for a semester was he? All he had to do was show up play football and go to class learning to color in the lines and he was fine. The coach and SID told him when to talk to the media and controlled it. He and his agent now control the media contacts and put out what they want to put out.
Timbear
Rhule is a con man, but I cannot deny or ignore his on field success.
BUbackerinET
Agree, and what con men do is lie to satisfy their ego, and advance themselves, at the expense of others, no matter who they hurt in their wake. Most con-men are also clinically narcissistic...he is both
PartyBear
Some sports guy named Mike Tannenbaum this morning in a column compared to Rhule to John Beilein a great college coach at WVU and Michigan then didnt last a full season as the HC of the Cavs resigning before the season was cancelled with a .259 record.
historian
Rhule did great things for Baylor and left the football program in a far better position than when he arrived. Now he has moved on and we have a new coach. Our biggest concern going forward, it seems, is how much damage China's virus will cause to the US economy and NCAA athletics later this year.

But none of that matters because God is still in control.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.