Football
Sponsored by

DougO's random Baylor football and sports pics

7,776 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
Mr Tulip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doug, you're really reminding us of the value of sport.
Photography, by its nature, freezes a moment in time without explanation of what happened before or after. Sure, our minds can fill it in, but that non-contextual record allows us to study a moment that would otherwise go by too fast to consider.

These images show us the effort that the athlete is expending through their body. The explosion of the jump, the violence of the pitch, the impact of the tackle. More than that, we can see the anticipation as a pass arrives or a rebound is attempted. These are still human beings. Seeing the intensity on their face, realizing their mastery over uncertainty through concentration, make the sport relatable to those of us who could never have the ability to compete.

Finally, we see the result of competition - the joy of success, and sometimes the disappointment when success did not arrive. These kids, still responsible for their classroom studies, flood our emotions vicariously!

Keep posting the pix (I like the older ones best as a "remember when" bit, but they're all fascinating in their own way). We're all enjoying your talent!
Dia del DougO
Mr Tulip said:

Doug, you're really reminding us of the value of sport.
Photography, by its nature, freezes a moment in time without explanation of what happened before or after. Sure, our minds can fill it in, but that non-contextual record allows us to study a moment that would otherwise go by too fast to consider.

These images show us the effort that the athlete is expending through their body. The explosion of the jump, the violence of the pitch, the impact of the tackle. More than that, we can see the anticipation as a pass arrives or a rebound is attempted. These are still human beings. Seeing the intensity on their face, realizing their mastery over uncertainty through concentration, make the sport relatable to those of us who could never have the ability to compete.

Finally, we see the result of competition - the joy of success, and sometimes the disappointment when success did not arrive. These kids, still responsible for their classroom studies, flood our emotions vicariously!

Keep posting the pix (I like the older ones best as a "remember when" bit, but they're all fascinating in their own way). We're all enjoying your talent!

I really appreciate it.

When I look back though these photos I often struggle to remember who some of these people even are, and my recollection of a lot of names and particular situations often fails. Some of them flash back to me and I wonder how the heck I remembered. Others leave me stumped and I wonder how the hell I have forgotten. But what remains through the relative obscurity left with the passage of time is that these are all peak moments for these players and teams in their own slice of time, and it's a lot of fun bringing them back, even when I can't even remember what it was all about.

The best advice I ever heard about sports photography was by a speaker at a clinic, Rod Mar, great daily photojournalist from Seattle. He said, "Make the big time where you are." And I think that applies to a lot more than photography. It really stuck with me. Whether it's kids playing sandlot games or top pros playing for millions in championships, there are always these little huge moments worth capturing, even if nobody really remembers a year or two later.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
Thanks for posting the photos. They are great!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Dia del DougO

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO

Wichitabear
Wichitabear
I don't know how the heck I picked that emoji! Awesomeness Doug O!
Dia del DougO
Unfortunately, I think that may be the last of my lady bears pics, unless I have another game or two stashed away somewhere that was never posted.
historian
Those pix are wonderful! Thanks for posting.
Dia del DougO

2019 out-takes, pic that didn't make the cut last year, both from the West Virginia game..

Dia del DougO

Dia del DougO
2020 draft edition, part 1

Wichitabear
Dia del DougO said:

2020 draft edition, part 1

excellent
Dia del DougO

I got a few out of order in that last post, not that it matters much. Got some more Mims to post up...

Dia del DougO

historian
So many excellent photos! Thanks for sharing.

I wil probably use some as wallpaper on my computer.
Wichitabear
We are blessed to have DougO
Dia del DougO

Sorry I haven't posted anything in so long, but I got super busy with other photo/editing priorities for a while, then I just kinda got unmotivated. Scanning old stuff takes a good deal of time and effort. It seems like there's plenty of content here now after the launch of the Sicem radio deal, so that's good.

I would keep this going with a few pics here and there, but I'm either going to drop my web host altogether, or move it to another host, because godaddy sucks and doesn't offer free SSL certification without a bunch of extra fees added on to my basic deal. That issue has caused me problems posting in certain places. I can't afford the monthly expense of the old web host for what I get out of it, just not practical. I don't really use my old website any more, it's just the only real efficient and reliable way to host my photos to post elsewhere.

So all of these photos in this thread my go away some time in the weeks ahead, at least for a while, depending on whether I move the site they are hosted on now, or just start over from scratch, or just throw in the towel.

I'm not even sure I'll be able to shoot future games with all that's going on. If they cut down sideline media I'll probably be one of the first to get cut out. I sure would hate to see the McLane streak come to an end. I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to being done, but it's not all up to me.
Dia del DougO

Stumbled across this one from a couple of years ago. aggy press box media meal classifies beans with huge chunks of pork fat as vegetarian.

historian
What happened here?
Dia del DougO
Perhaps i will pick this up again in the coming weeks if there is indeed no football. Situations and resources have put this on the back burner, but there didn't seem to be a great need for it since there was a lot of recruiting news and buzz about various issues to keep the board busy.

We'll see how it goes. Digging through the older stuff and copying/scanning takes a good bit of time, effort and space on my desk, but I enjoy it when I have ample time.

Mr Tulip
I'm enjoying it!

I appreciate the effort, although I wish you had less ample time.
historian
I enjoyed it from day one and definitely appreciate the effort. I also understand that it may not be a #1 priority.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.