Are We Setting Ourselves Up To Cancel Football in the Fall

19,630 Views | 273 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jacques Strap
Aliceinbubbleland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
for fear of an outbreak?
CNC
Well according to the national media we all should be died by August.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Supposedly the coronavirus does not like heat. It was 91 degrees in Seguin, Texas today. (150 miles West/ Southwest of Waco). I do think the mainstream news media will sensationalize and hype this as long as possible, so it does not matter. You could be right. I hope not.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Stranger
We'll see.
I'm a Bearbacker
57Bear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

... I do think the mainstream news media will sensationalize and hype this as long as possible, so it does not matter. ...
Perhaps not so much after November 3.
Aliceinbubbleland
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Supposedly the coronavirus does not like heat. It was 91 degrees in Seguin, Texas today. (150 miles East/ Southeast of Waco). I do think the mainstream news media will sensationalize and hype this as long as possible, so it does not matter. You could be right. I hope not.
The best future fight may be ESPN vs the 24/7 guys like AOC. ESPN isn't going to take this sitting down.
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Supposedly the coronavirus does not like heat. It was 91 degrees in Seguin, Texas today. (150 miles East/ Southeast of Waco). I do think the mainstream news media will sensationalize and hype this as long as possible, so it does not matter. You could be right. I hope not.

It's not like it thrives in 98+ degree humans
PartyBear
I saw stories about that today. It is being talked about. The ND HC said if it isn't under control in 97 days there may not be a season. I think it is going to be left up to conferences. The way things appear I can't see a conf with schools in Wash, Ca, La, Fl, NY being able to have a team. Texas may join the same category before too long.

I know Baylor and UT students who aren't sure there will be physical on campus school in the Fall at those schools.
brazosplaya
Rolling my eyes...
GrowlTowel
There is more to worry about than football. Baylor itself is in real trouble. There is concern that enrollment will fall at universities around the country by 20%. Our school relies heavily on tuition.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Wichitabear
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

90 in Nocona/Wichita Falls
PartyBear
What has happened to Baylor's endowment the past month?
Aliceinbubbleland
Maybe more so at private schools. Are the loan forgiveness programs that the AOC ilk propose granted to all regardless if private or public? I'd be surprised if she supported funding privates. But then she always surprises.
ABC BEAR
.....so global warming could be what ultimately saves us from the China virus?
SMack
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It was 91 degrees in Seguin, Texas today. (150 miles East/ Southeast of Waco).

I must have a lousy map.
hodedofome
GrowlTowel said:

There is more to worry about than football. Baylor itself is in real trouble. There is concern that enrollment will fall at universities around the country by 20%. Our school relies heavily on tuition.

And lots of school, like Baylor, are heavily indebted and can't afford enrollment to shrink.
BUGWBBear
It hits 187 degrees on that field later this year, that bug will regret ever existing.
Grizz Air
Lololol
2022 Adopt-a-Bear: Mark Milton #3 CB
Chamberman
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

It was 91 degrees in Seguin, Texas today. (150 miles East/ Southeast of Waco).
I think your map's true North must be pointing East.
Squatch Hunter
GrowlTowel said:

Legend has it that Baylor survived the Great Depression by moving faculty into the dorms with students. Taught for room and board.

Many HS seniors are considering a 'gap' year. No one wants to start college online from their bedroom. Can't blame them. This virus is a real threat to all private schools without ginormous endowments.

Also, no spring ball, campuses closed, athletes expected to train on their own, no or very limited summer school (online only) and real possibility of campuses still shuttered Aug 1. How do you have fall camp?

Heat may stem the virus, but we all live indoors with the AC on 75. The virus will survive that.

Hard times ahead.
historian
Kirk Herbstreit is not expecting it:

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/64603
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Mitch Blood Green
We should have a vaccine by August.
historian
At which time it will be too late to have a meaningful season. No Spring camp & limited Fall camp. I hate to be a pessimist, but if this does not end until August it's hard to see how there is any sports this Fall (maybe MBB & WBB). This will also wreak havoc on recruiting meaning the impact will be felt for years.
LTbear
tommie said:

? I mean, that would be awesome, but going by historical standards that is quite unlikely.
PartyBear
August of 21? Because my understanding that isn't likely to occur until another 12-18 months. Unless it is going Manhattan Project about it. With all due respects to Manhattan and what it is going through.
Dia del DougO
They can't keep everything shut down forever. I don't see how they can do it much longer and avoid economic turmoil that will cause even greater risks to the physical health of our citizenry.

It is believed, and hoped, that this is a virus that will be depleted by heat and humidity, so the summer should knock it down quite a bit. Hopefully, the next month or so we can see the trends level off and we can make ready for the next surge in the cooler months.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
beardoc
If heat kills it, ISU may want to play us in Waco next year.
KEBasketball
BUGWBBear said:

It hits 187 degrees on that field later this year, that bug will regret ever existing.
Nope - Bob Bowlsby (what a moron) will finally relent and allow pop-up tents to shield it from the heat...

- KEB
osoprimo
GrowlTowel said:

remember that we have that anonymous $100 million gift (largest, ever) - that should do us for a while....
Media Bear
historian said:

Kirk Herbstreit is not expecting it:

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/64603

Everybody get ready for some fall football then (given ol' Herbie's specious track record).
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
historian
If heat kills the virus, it should die more quickly in places like Texas & Florida. The temperature here in south central Texas has been in the 80s most of the week and will be in the 70s next week.
Aliceinbubbleland
osoprimo said:

GrowlTowel said:

remember that we have that anonymous $100 million gift (largest, ever) - that should do us for a while....
Unless it was in energy and financial stocks. Who knows? If hardships come to Universities Baylor will suffer more then most due to it's lack of investment and leadership.
PartyBear
historian said:

If heat kills the virus, it should die more quickly in places like Texas & Florida. The temperature here in south central Texas has been in the 80s most of the week and will be in the 70s next week.

Yet it seeks out and thrives in the 98 degree environment of human bodies.
Mitch Blood Green
LTbear said:

tommie said:

? I mean, that would be awesome, but going by historical standards that is quite unlikely.

H1N1 vaccine was available in September in time for second wave. I'd expect second wave about the same tone as vaccine. What does that mean for football? I can't say.
GrowlTowel
osoprimo said:

GrowlTowel said:

That is true but I doubt it was all paid up front. Uncertain times. Even I have flirted with the idea of holding back my BBF pledge. Tough decisions ahead for a lot of families.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.