Story Poster
Photo by Thomas B. Shea-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Mack Rhoades expects season opener against Ole Miss to be played in front of fans

May 20, 2020

Download the SicEm365 mobile app today for free on iOS & Android!

With or without fans in attendance, Baylor is set to open the 2020 football season with a neutral site contest against Ole Miss of the SEC on Sept. 5 inside NRG Stadium in Houston. 

At least for now.

Rumors began to swirl earlier this week about the possibility of the game being played on Sunday, Sept. 6 for television purposes. However, there has been no confirmation of the recent report that the contest will be moved, according to Baylor Vice President and Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades. 

“I don’t think that has been confirmed by anyone including Baylor University,” Rhoades told SicEm365 Radio on Tuesday. “So probably, yeah, probably jumped the gun.”

Rhoades did not completely shut down the possibility, clarifying later in the interview that nothing has been made official and the game could potentially be played on Saturday or Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

The more polarizing topic addressed by Rhoades was the updated thought process of allowing fans inside NRG Stadium to watch the game. As things stand currently, Rhoades believes fans will be allowed to attend.

“Yeah, right now, you know, I do,” Rhoades said. 

“Today is what, the 19th? So we still have the entire month of June and July and August, so it’s 90-plus days away. My sense is where we’re headed, how we’re headed, is that we would play in front of fans.

“Now, is it max capacity? Is there a percentage of capacity that is allowed into NRG Stadium? That probably remains to be seen and is probably an option. It’s something we’re all thinking about.” 

That goes not just for the season opener in Houston, but also home games throughout the season.

“Not just any neutral site games, but our home games as well, in terms of are we going to be able to play with full capacity or are we going to need to modify that somehow, someway.

"I think the Ole Miss game is a really important game for all of us. I think it's probably going to end up being much more than just a football game. It’s going to be a step towards at least some normalcy or near-normalcy and I think it will be a step toward community and bringing people together again."

Discussion from...

Mack Rhoades expects season opener against Ole Miss to be played in front of fans

7,765 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the info--including the question of the date. It's a relief to know the game might be played. I hope it is at full capacity because I still want to be there (possibly with friends).
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MrGolfguy
At this point i just want the game played; not counting Duke in 2 recent seasons, Baylor's last power 5 non-conf opponents were Washington St & Wake Forest in 2006-09. Been waiting a long time for a decent non-conf game, so they better play fans or not.
historian
Agreed. But I want a stadium packed with 60k Baylor fans. Maybe we'll even have a running of the Baylor Line like we did for the Texas Bowl. I don't expect it but that would be wonderful.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.