Football
Sponsored by

Coronavirus in college football: Hospitalizations, deaths projected by data analysts

2,655 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by boognish_bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

gobears20
Staff

BluesBear
So basically there is a .00002 percent chance I'll die from C19 if I participate in football this fall. Hmmm, 5-7 deaths and there was 6 deaths from football last year.

So, where's the concern?

50 percent infection rate - that's hilarious.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

50 percent infection rate
The most current estimates I've seen are that around 20-25million Americans have been infected (at the high end that's about 7.5% of the population) with the vast majority being asymptomatic or having symptoms so mild they blew it off. Recovery rates are at 99.9% and climbing.
Illigitimus non carborundum
historian
gobears20 said:

A lot of people say that about much of what Paul Finebaum says.

I think there is a good chance we will all get it at some point (thanks to a biologist friend who understands such things much better than I do). It's inevitable. If that's the case, we can try to limit the damage & reduce the risk only so much but it's not worth destroying the economy or people's lives.

Moreover, so much of this is just idle speculation. Even the scientific "experts" often don't really know, whether it's on climate change (in the 1970s they were predicting a new ice age) or coronavirus. It was not long ago that a bunch of "experts" publicly claimed that social distancing was not necessary for protestors, rioters, & looters. They clearly lost all credibility. But it makes me think that if all the paranoia is no longer needed for those breaking the law, then those of us who aren't arsons are thieves may not need to worry about it either.

Most important, though, I trust in God to get me through it so I'm not going to panic whatever happens.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
gobears20
Staff
gobears20
Staff
You start to get nervous because once the season starts you would think the virus would spread faster with crowds travel..etc

Then there will be all kinds of questions if they shut football down, what happens to the seniors? Do they get another year and if they do how many scholarships can you give out? How much money would be lost especially to these small schools that live on one big game a year.
historian
I wonder how much of the recent surges in the virus were due to mass protests & riots? Over 1300 health care "experts" prostituted their profession & lost all credibility with a public statement that it was OK to have those mass gatherings. Same with all the politicians who did not follow their own face mask & social distancing dictates and supported the protests.
boognish_bear
BC is currently the #1 seed for COVID CFP

DaRealBears
historian said:

I wonder how much of the recent surges in the virus were due to mass protests & riots? Over 1300 health care "experts" prostituted their profession & lost all credibility with a public statement that it was OK to have those mass gatherings. Same with all the politicians who did not follow their own face mask & social distancing dictates and supported the protests.

Most likely not as many as you think. Most of the protestors wore masks, anyways. Its a convenient deflection point for republicans to try and point the finger somewhere else to cover their butts that they screwed up and rushed to open states back up while denying science and what the medical experts were saying.
historian
Do you mean the "medical experts" that said social distancing did not apply to protestors & rioters? Those so-called experts lost much credibility with their politicization of the pandemic, their inconsistency, & their relying on bogus models. None of their predictions have proven correct. You can hardly blame people for using their brains and discounting what the politicians & experts say when they clearly have an agenda that has little to do with public health and don't even follow their own guidelines. BTW, this explains so much skepticism & cynicism about most of what politicians & experts say on climate change, the economy, or just about anything else. And unfortunately, that is justified.
George Truett
historian said:

Do you mean the "medical experts" that said social distancing did not apply to protestors & rioters? Those so-called experts lost much credibility with their politicization of the pandemic, their inconsistency, & their relying on bogus models. None of their predictions have proven correct. You can hardly blame people for using their brains and discounting what the politicians & experts say when they clearly have an agenda that has little to do with public health and don't even follow their own guidelines. BTW, this explains so much skepticism & cynicism about most of what politicians & experts say on climate change, the economy, or just about anything else. And unfortunately, that is justified.
Show me where a medical expert made any such statement. I haven't seen any such statement.

All the experts I saw expressed concern about transmission during the protests. As the data are showing, the protests didn't have much effect on the virus spread. Restaurants and bars have been responsible for a lot.

Their models have been correct if you understand the science behind them.

They're being shown to be especially spot on now, with the virus raging in states that opened early.

As for the OP, it seems unlikely we're going to see anything like a regular football season this year.

George Truett
historian said:

Practically none.

It's mostly been restaurants and bars.
historian
George Truett said:

historian said:

Show me where a medical expert made any such statement. I haven't seen any such statement.

All the experts I saw expressed concern about transmission during the protests. As the data are showing, the protests didn't have much effect on the virus spread. Restaurants and bars have been responsible for a lot.

Their models have been correct if you understand the science behind them.

They're being shown to be especially spot on now, with the virus raging in states that opened early.

As for the OP, it seems unlikely we're going to see anything like a regular football season this year.
An NPR article that references an open letter by 1200+ medical "experts":

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/01/867200259/protests-over-racism-versus-risk-of-covid-i-wouldn-t-weigh-these-crises-separate?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews

The link to the letter itself:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdnny7MQUO5PEgs615XRHjmO80UVOOQ7ikduphoh_r80Cgjgw/viewform

I'm surprised you did not know about it. It's been in the news awhile.
Dman
George Truett said:

historian said:

Practically none.

It's mostly been restaurants and bars.

You keep repeating this about the marches. Not trying to be confrontational. In fact, I was in them. But It simply is inaccurate.

https://www.newsweek.com/houston-protesters-begin-fall-ill-coronavirus-after-marching-george-floyd-1511066

Many other articles across the country are showing the same now that we have data to look back at. Our lab does the testing on a national basis. I see the numbers. Track the exposure. The marches indeed played a significant role In the spike in houston and other cities.
Baylor3216
Once 1 person dies it will be all over.

This is what they've created. Prepare yourself mentally, emotionally, alcoholically etc whatever works for you
BUGWBBear
gobears20 said:

Alabama starts on time, he'll change his mind.
Jacques Strap
I think they'll play with no one in the stands like the Premier League is doing.
BluesBear
Again. A positive test means you actually have the virus- it doesn't mean you might need medical treatment or potentially die.

You are more likely to die from cancer or a heart attack than Covid.

This **** needs to end. Period. I don't go into a bar and complain about people smoking when I know that second hand smoke can cause death. I don't complain to McDonalds about their greasy fries that clog my Heart. It's a ****ing choice. If you want to be fearful the rest of your life then stay indoors.

I can't believe how the sheeple just fell in line for all this ***** No wonder people will believe the BS after the rapture. Everyone is gullible.
historian
I don't think most people realize how often they are being lied to by the media, by politicians, by scientists, etc. ad nauseum.
wuzzybear
historian said:

I don't think most people realize how often they are being lied to by the media, by politicians, by scientists, etc. ad nauseum.
There is not a simpler more true statement ever made on this site. The media obviously is on a mission to brainwash the general public. When coupled with 90% of professors at 90% of all colleges doubling down on the brainwashing it is not hard to see why we are so divided, but I really don't think we are. You just have to go back to America being the bastion of freedom period We went through the same thing in the 60's so this cyclical except with more video feed. I love Trump. He didn't need the job so you have Mitt Romney to thank for Trump getting involved in the first place. Does anybody think that Trump did not have good intentions by handing over his business to his kids and at least trying to save this country. Classic example of a moderately liberal person in earlier life seeing how things were going too far left and it just happened that he had the means, motive, and opportunity to run for president. So all this backlash was totally expected although I never thought I would see the day when the cops were tortured. Anybody knows when you want to destroy a country the first thing you have to do is eliminate authority aka the rule of law. This is right out of the Saul Alinsky playbook.

I'm sure there are those in the WH now who are total traitors and so Trump can do or say nothing w/o his words and actions being totally twisted to fit their agenda. We will all be better off as a country once he is re-elected. If he is not re-elected and the Dems take control of all 3 branches of govt then this Dem Rep is good as gone.

It is just that the coronavirus ruined the coronation. Without it this economy would be a lamborghini with rocket fuel. Also, Trump just tells it like he sees it and he is totally without fear when fighting back and who could blame him.
boognish_bear
BluesBear
While isn't this being discussed about other countries.

An Inhaled steroid and zinc has cured 100% of Dr. Bartlett's Covid patients.

He mentions this is the same treatment plan that Singapore uses with 12 total deaths in their country. Taiwan uses it and has had 7 deaths with a population of 24 million and Japan uses it with 1000 deaths with a population of 120 million.

boognish_bear
TrustTheProcess said:

While isn't this being discussed about other countries.

An Inhaled steroid and zinc has cured 100% of Dr. Bartlett's Covid patients.

He mentions this is the same treatment plan that Singapore uses with 12 total deaths in their country. Taiwan uses it and has had 7 deaths with a population of 24 million and Japan uses it with 1000 deaths with a population of 120 million.

Looks like the medical community not ready to jump on board yet

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/local/midland-memorial-hospital-says-inhaled-steroid-is-no-silver-bullet-for-covid-19/513-a30477f5-35fb-41cb-97fb-e8aaad6250b2
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.