Football
Sponsored by

Greatest moment in Baylor Football history.

4,266 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PartyBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Wichitabear
gobears20 said:

This just gives me chills. Thank you RGlll for all those wonderful moments God let me live long enough to watch my Baylor win.
historian
Thanks for posting. Here's that play in context:

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
No Longer Gold
with 10 seconds left....destiny
Wichitabear
historian said:

Thanks for posting. Here's that play in context:

our TWill. What a night.
historian
I never get tired of watching that game--especially that play--or 61-58.
KAK
I never get tired of also remembering that was all made possible by a time out called by Stoops. I also never tire of seeing #38 breathing hard with his hands on his hips...
MommaBear
This was the MOST exciting game to be at. Pure Magic that night. I remember that I was on crutches at that game because of recent knee surgery. Other than during tv time-outs, I was propped up on crutches throughout that game.

My second favorite game was the final game in Floyd Casey against UT. Took us almost 4 hours to drive to Waco from Plano due to the ice storm. Then to sit out in the tailgate with our electric heater and Smokey Joe grill to keep us warm. I think I had at least 4 layers of clothes on with those little hand warmers stuck everywhere to keep warm during the game. Besides the big win, it was really exciting to be a part of the closing ceremony at the end of the night.

Third favorite game is 61-58. 'Nuff said!

historian
Unfortunately I did not make it to the first 2 but I was there for 61-58!
PartyBear
That was truly a magical moment. It is hard to believe we are inching up to 10 years since.
gold rewards
I was blessed to be at all 3, and the defeat of then No. 1 Kansas St. Sistrunk's breakaway run through the middle of the line was incredible, and then the two Oklahoma games this past year. Heart stopping wins, heart breaking losses. Sic 'em.
gold rewards
gold rewards
gold rewards
gold rewards
Sorry guys, had an issue with my computer, and it didn't show that the post actually "posted", so I hit "post" again. I'm having an issue now trying to figure out how to delete the excessive posts. So, I just deleted the wording.
Johnny Bear
KAK said:

I never get tired of also remembering that was all made possible by a time out called by Stoops. I also never tire of seeing #38 breathing hard with his hands on his hips...

Yep - who knows what would've happened in overtime, especially with the way the "Bell Dozer" was blowing through us most of the night when they got inside the 10 yard line. Fate worked out for us for a change.
historian
I also remember how we stopped the "Bell-dozer" repeatedly in 2013--including a beautiful goal line stand!

Baylor3216
Without the false start we likely don't win
blackie
Baylor3216 said:

Beat me to it. I was also going to point that out. That false start kept OU from going for the lead after their last touchdown. I doubt any Baylor fan (possibly player as well) thought we would stop him from the 3 yard line for the two point conversion which would have given OU a 39-38 lead. We hadn't stopped him all night in that type of situation. Heck we hadn't hardly laid a hand on him on those plays.

But it happened and we took advantage.....also because Stoops called timeout thinking he would get the ball back with a chance to win in regulation. For once OU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and BU football was on its way to heights NOBODY here ever thought even remotely possible.
Wichitabear
blackie said:

Baylor3216 said:

Beat me to it. I was also going to point that out. That false start kept OU from going for the lead after their last touchdown. I doubt any Baylor fan (possibly player as well) thought we would stop him from the 3 yard line for the two point conversion which would have given OU a 39-38 lead. We hadn't stopped him all night in that type of situation. Heck we hadn't hardly laid a hand on him on those plays.

But it happened and we took advantage.....also because Stoops called timeout thinking he would get the ball back with a chance to win in regulation. For once OU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and BU football was on its way to heights NOBODY here ever thought even remotely possible.
It was so wonderful
historian
I'm not sure the false start mattered so much. Even if OU had gotten the 2 point conversion to take the lead, RGIII still had plenty of time to lead the team down the field for a game-winning TD throw to Terrance Williams. 45-38 is just as much a win as 45-39.

And I have no doubt that it would have impacted the morale of the team: Joe Tessitore made the point that they had scored 14 unanswered points and RGIII clearly was unperturbed by that:

It only required 43 seconds to win that game.
BearFan33
historian said:

I'm not sure the false start mattered so much. Even if OU had gotten the 2 point conversion to take the lead, RGIII still had plenty of time to lead the team down the field for a game-winning TD throw to Terrance Williams. 45-38 is just as much a win as 45-39.

And I have no doubt that it would have impacted the morale of the team: Joe Tessitore made the point that they had scored 14 unanswered points and RGIII clearly was unperturbed by that:

I remember thinking it was dumb for Stoops to call that time out after we ran the ball. Man did it burn them. I totally forgot we got the onside kick.

I think they may have been thinking we were going to do a short pass to improve field goal position and RG3 let it fly to the end zone....wow.
historian
Terrance Williams was open so why not?
Johnny Bear
historian said:

RGIII was of course great - as were CAB's offenses in general which were always designed for quick strike capability.

At the time, I thought for sure RGIII was just throwing the ball away as he was about to get leveled by an OU pass rusher and was about as shocked as I could possibly be to see T Will make that catch. As far as amazing clutch plays (that weren't obvious flukes) to win games go, I can't think of one more incredible than that one and I've been watching football for for 60 years.
Flaming Moderate
RGIII was truly a magical player. Has a Heisman Trophy Winner ever done more with "less," i.e. not a super-talented blue-blood program? His first game as a freshmen on a .500 team vs. Wake Forest and built a back-to-back P5 champion.
MrGolfguy
Flaming Moderate said:

His first game as a freshmen on a .250 team vs. Wake Forest and built a back-to-back P5 champion.
Fixed
wuzzybear
I just want to bring up last years big12 champ game vs. OU. So we choose to go to OT...I get it! We appeared dead in the water and OT seemed like the smart thing to do so you can sort of regroup.

HOWEVER, having Zeno complete that pass to Platt to the 17 yd line with 3min left I have the following observation:

1st down: handoff up the middle to Ebner for no gain. 2nd and 10
2nd down: handoff off left tackle to Ebner for 7yds. 3rd and 3
3rd down: Zeno rolls right, nobody is open, throws it OOB. 4th and 3
4th down: FG good by Mayers and game tied 23-23 with about 3min to go.

REPLAY:
1st down: no problem
2nd down: no problem
3rd down: big problem...given the momentum we had at the time and having OU kind of on their heels I really wish we had gone for the W right then than go to OT with OU. I really did think that at the time so as soon as Zeno rolled right on 3rd down and threw it away the FG was the only option. However, and I know hindsight is always 20/20, I wish we had taken the attitude that we had 2 downs to make 3yds. Of course, in retrospect, it would have the best thing to do. We could have tried to smashmouth it or run a trick play on 3rd down like an inside reverse or something OU had not seen all night. But when Zeno rolled right it really shortened the field and OU only had to protect from the hash to the sideline. I just thought it was the wrong move.

Let's say you get 1 or 2 yds on 3rd down and now it is 4th and 1-2. All the marbles are on the line and all you have to do is be right for that play and the drive continues and if we can't punch it in on with 1st and goal at the 8yd line then we kick it. I don't know. I've watched that ending several times and OU looked stunned just at that moment. When they had their chance to regroup for OT I bet they felt renewed cuz they had dominated most of the game. But, really they had never seen Zeno so in OT they kind of figured out what he could do. So we should have hit them when they still did not really know what he was capable of especially running.

I do know they had got a good pass rush all game and so just dropping back or rolling out was sort of expected so do the unexpected and try to steal the game RIGHT THEN.

But I get the way our D had played all year and so Rhule decided to try and win it with defense. Either way it was tough to lose. I just think a little trickery might have worked at that point in the game.
BearFan33
historian said:

Terrance Williams was open so why not?
RG3 threw him open. Chemistry play between the two. TW was a physical enough receiver to break from the defender and go get the ball with it in the air. RG3 threw it to where only he could get it. Awesome.
historian
Part of the problem in the 2019 Big 12 title game is that Jacob Zeno was very inexperienced. IIRC, he had only played one game all season the week before. He was great but it was against Kansas--not much of a test to be honest. Now on December 7, before a national audience, he played the game of his life with 2 huge completions that helped keep us in the game and made his % stats look great.

As much as CMR did for us, he did not always do a good job of managing the talent. The way he burned Charlie's red shirt in 2017 was strange and did not accomplish much in that game (if my memory serves). Same kind of thing last year with both Bohanan & Zeno, although not as bad. At least Charlie had a lot more opportunities, impressing everyone later in 2017 and ever since. I'm sure there are other examples but the QB situation stands out in my mind tonight.
wuzzybear
historian said:

Part of the problem in the 2019 Big 12 title game is that Jacob Zeno was very inexperienced. IIRC, he had only played one game all season the week before. He was great but it was against Kansas--not much of a test to be honest. Now on December 7, before a national audience, he played the game of his life with 2 huge completions that helped keep us in the game and made his % stats look great.

As much as CMR did for us, he did not always do a good job of managing the talent. The way he burned Charlie's red shirt in 2017 was strange and did not accomplish much in that game (if my memory serves). Same kind of thing last year with both Bohanan & Zeno, although not as bad. At least Charlie had a lot more opportunities, impressing everyone later in 2017 and ever since. I'm sure there are other examples but the QB situation stands out in my mind tonight.
True but I still say we should have tried to win the game after Platts catch to the 17. Think about it. We knew we could tie and make OT or at least pretty sure cuz OU did get the ball back with 3 to go. But in OT you gotta give the other team a chance. We did not need to do that. I'd rather go for the win 1st and 10 inside the 20 with little chance for OU to tie it than play em even 1st and 10 from the 25. I just think we had em on their heels and we only needed a couple of good play calls to win it right there. The whole OU klan would have been in shock!!!
historian
As for trying for the win instead of OT, do you mean going for it on the 4th instead of kicking the FG? My guess is that they felt we had a better chance to win in OT because we had momentum.

Everyone would have been shocked! And we Baylor fans would have been ecstatic. Alas, it was not to be. Still, last year was an amazing season despite the two losses to OU. To be honest, it was quite amazing that we had the second shot--and that those two losses were by a combined 10 points. Not too shabby.
wuzzybear
historian said:

As for trying for the win instead of OT, do you mean going for it on the 4th instead of kicking the FG? My guess is that they felt we had a better chance to win in OT because we had momentum.

Everyone would have been shocked! And we Baylor fans would have been ecstatic. Alas, it was not to be. Still, last year was an amazing season despite the two losses to OU. To be honest, it was quite amazing that we had the second shot--and that those two losses were by a combined 10 points. Not too shabby.

Hey I appreciate the dialogue!!! No, I mean after 2nd down and ebners 7 yd run off left tackle we had 3rd and 3 to make it 1st and goal around the 9, 3min left. I am saying I think we should have treated it like we had 2 downs to make 3yds to give us the opportunity for 1st and goal. So I think a different play call on 3rd down was warranted bc rolling out on 3rd and 3 you are saying if I don't get a 1st down here I am kicking it. Why not simply try to get to 4th and 1 and go.

I never thought we had a chance in OT with Hurts on the field. As it turned out it would have been the thing tto do given the miserable offense after OU scored. I am just speculation, but I really did think we should have gone for the W in regulation, but I knew Rhule would never do that.
historian
Thanks for the clarification. I think we probably would have done something like that if Charlie had been playing but he was out & Zeno was in and his first game experience was the previous week against Kansas.

I also enjoy the conversation. In fact, I love this kind of trip down memory lane!
Wichitabear
Certainly beats covid 19. I'm so tired of this sickness
historian
If I could, I'd give you a dozen stars for that one! I think we all are fed up with COVID, quarantine, lawlessness, etc.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.