Football
Sponsored by

Washington Redskins are just the beginning

3,418 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wichitabear
Stranger
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This is an e-mail sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly jilted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives. I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children. The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our> children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a die-hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers (especially when they play Southern California. Do we really want the Trojans sticking it to the Beavers?

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. As for the Redskins name I would suggest they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to every last dick-head in Washington D.C.

--

Stephen J. Huxley, Ph.D.
PartyBear
Hopefully this Huxley character is trying to be satirical and doesnt think he is making a serious response to Clarence Page.
No Longer Gold
So great....but, foreskins wouldn't work either...
BUbackerinET
Hahaha! Political correctness will kill all sports. People watch sports for entertainment - not politics- ESsecPN learned the hard way
Stranger
PartyBear said:

Hopefully this Huxley character is trying to be satirical and doesnt think he is making a serious response to Clarence Page.

Check your sense of humor, Party. Although there might be a lot of truth in this.
historian
Of course it's satire. But it's also very effective because it is so true.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
PartyBear
Stranger said:

PartyBear said:

Check your sense of humor, Party. Although there might be a lot of truth in this.
Actually there isnt. Which is why I hope he thought it was doing a comedy schtick.
Johnny Bear
Hilarious and on point.
tallman1
The Cleveland Browns are a professional American football team based in Cleveland. Named after original coach and co-founder Paul Brown.
KAK
Other names not mentioned...

Oklahoma Sooners - can't glorify land thieves. Every other team with "Raider" in it - there are many. Cowboys - Dallas and OSU. Lions, Tigers, and Bears, oh my, all have to go. Vicious animals on the endangered species list.

FSU Seminoles also come to mind. I could list many more if I tried, these are just the first that come to mind.

With no sports it gives time for all these corrections to be made before any games get played.
historian
IIRC, the Florida Seminoles have an agreement with the Seminole tribe. If anyone else is offended, it's none of their business.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Dia del DougO
"I agree with our Native American population."

There's one of your big problems with the debate right there, all sarcasm and parody aside.

Who is speaking for the Native American population? I have seen in the past where polls found that native Americans actually approve of the name, and many other Indian related sports names, or just don't find it offensive.

Somebody always trots out one activist who claims to speak for them, but it's really just one person that has been chosen to give the approved media narrative.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Wichitabear
historian said:

IIRC, the Florida Seminoles have an agreement with the Seminole tribe. If anyone else is offended, it's none of their business.
Exactly!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.