Football
Sponsored by

Several P5 ADs envisioning conference only format with one additional P5 matchup

5,866 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Texasjeremy
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No Longer Gold
uh oh, whats gonna happen to the SECs game of liars poker? they may have to play the same amount of P5 games as everyone else...
whitetrash
Swart Dra said:

uh oh, whats gonna happen to the SECs game of liars poker? they may have to play the same amount of P5 games as everyone else...
9 conference games for everyone else, SEC still plays 8 + their choice of Samford, UT Martin, Florida A&M or SFA.
boognish_bear
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

That's going to cause a lot of consternation in the MAC, whose two primary sources of revenue are playing on Tuesday nights on ESPN and getting skull(*&#ed by B1G teams.
lakersfan34
ACC as well....

BluesBear
I have yet to read anywhere the requirements for return to sports. If you have the details please post.

FWBear91
Covid-19 is well-known to only be infectious in cross-conference settings, not in single-conference settings.
Science.
boognish_bear
Man....we finally have a fun non-con game scheduled and we might get screwed out of it like we did March Madness.

Covid can EBOD!
boognish_bear
HarryMehre
Swart Dra said:

I remember an old saying about throwing rocks and glass houses here. Yes, most of the SEC has played poor non-conference schedules as late. About the only conference that plays a worse non-conference schedule on a consistent basis is the ....... Big 12. A little closer to home, When was the last time Baylor played a respectable team on non-conference action? Yes, the Bears had a low level SEC team, Ole Miss, scheduled for this year and Duke the last few years. Other than that you have to go back at least 12 years and probably more. Grant Teaff days?

As a college football fan you have to like Alabama, Georgia and Florida working big on their future non-conference schedules. Check Georgia's out from 2027-2031. LSU has also been improving theirs as well. In the Big 12 you have Texas going the other way. The Longhorns have been one of the few Big 12 schools to play a good OOC schedule, but now they are loading up with UTSA, UTEP, Louisiana Tec, etc.

One problem that the SEC has in going to 9 conference games is the 4 teams that have bitter end of the year, non-conference rivalry games. South Carolina (Clemson), Georgia (Georgia Tech), Florida (Florida State) and Kentucky (Louisville).

I think that the SEC will go to 9 conference games soon. The fans don't like the long periods between games with teams from different divisions. Kirby Smart already wants 9 SEC games and if Saban and/or Oregon gets on board, it will probably happen.
Jorkel
HarryMehre said:

Swart Dra said:

I remember an old saying about throwing rocks and glass houses here. Yes, most of the SEC has played poor non-conference schedules as late. About the only conference that plays a worse non-conference schedule on a consistent basis is the ....... Big 12. A little closer to home, When was the last time Baylor played a respectable team on non-conference action? Yes, the Bears had a low level SEC team, Ole Miss, scheduled for this year and Duke the last few years. Other than that you have to go back at least 12 years and probably more. Grant Teaff days?

As a college football fan you have to like Alabama, Georgia and Florida working big on their future non-conference schedules. Check Georgia's out from 2027-2031. LSU has also been improving theirs as well. In the Big 12 you have Texas going the other way. The Longhorns have been one of the few Big 12 schools to play a good OOC schedule, but now they are loading up with UTSA, UTEP, Louisiana Tec, etc.

One problem that the SEC has in going to 9 conference games is the 4 teams that have bitter end of the year, non-conference rivalry games. South Carolina (Clemson), Georgia (Georgia Tech), Florida (Florida State) and Kentucky (Louisville).

I think that the SEC will go to 9 conference games soon. The fans don't like the long periods between games with teams from different divisions. Kirby Smart already wants 9 SEC games and if Saban and/or Oregon gets on board, it will probably happen.

But but but...big 12 plays 9 conference games! Big 12 also has equal the talent if not more and fields more competitive teams top to bottom than the SEC ...even though we only have 10 teams............you can't talk like that on here!
CTWallace
boognish_bear said:

If Notre Dame gets 6 ACC games, I'm sure they won't have any trouble filling the other 3-6 spots because there will be many schools scrambling for a game.

Might not be top competition but they'll be OK.
Thee University
Do we still have Incarnate Word on our schedule?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Thee University
Texas Southern?

Southwest Texas?
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
perrynative
People need to know facts before they overload the mouth. UT future opponents
2020 Lsu
2021 Arkansas
2022 Alabama
2023 Alabama
2024 Michigan
2025 Ohio State
2026 Ohio State
2027 Michigan
2028 Georgia
2029 Georgia
2030 Florida
2031 Florida
Eat crow.
boognish_bear
HarryMehre
perrynative said:

2020 Lsu
2021 Arkansas
2022 Alabama
2023 Alabama
2024 Michigan
2025 Ohio State
2026 Ohio State
2027 Michigan
2028 Georgia
2029 Georgia
2030 Florida
2031 Florida
Eat crow.
One big game a year and 2/3 nobodies has been the SEC model for the past decade. I will admit that Texas has a BIG game almost every year, but UTSA and UTEP?
HarryMehre
CTWallace said:

boognish_bear said:

If Notre Dame gets 6 ACC games, I'm sure they won't have any trouble filling the other 3-6 spots because there will be many schools scrambling for a game.

Might not be top competition but they'll be OK.
They could always play Navy 3 or 4 times.
boognish_bear
historian
HarryMehre said:

Baylor opened the 2011 season with the undefeated Rose Bowl champs, TCU--and beat them. Yes, they are in the Big 12 now but they weren't at the time. In that year, & ever since, the sports media has raved about GP and the mighty Frogs.

It seems to me that the SEC is mostly mediocrity: Arkansas, A&M, MSU, and virtually the entire SEC East. Other than Alabama, Georgia & LSU, which ones have been to the playoffs? Which ones have been a serious contender for the conference title during the playoff era?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
chriscbear
I smell politics in the Big Tens sudden anouncment of a confrence only football schedule. Just my opinion. Sicem.
HarryMehre
historian said:

HarryMehre said:

Baylor opened the 2011 season with the undefeated Rose Bowl champs, TCU--and beat them. Yes, they are in the Big 12 now but they weren't at the time. In that year, & ever since, the sports media has raved about GP and the mighty Frogs.

It seems to me that the SEC is mostly mediocrity: Arkansas, A&M, MSU, and virtually the entire SEC East. Other than Alabama, Georgia & LSU, which ones have been to the playoffs? Which ones have been a serious contender for the conference title during the playoff era?
Mediocre? OK, let's see.

In the 6 years of the play-off era the SEC has had Alabama in the play-offs 5 times, Georgia and LSU once each.
The ACC (the All Clemson Conference) has had Clemson 5 times and Florida State the first year. The Big 10 has Ohio State 3 times and Michigan State once. The PAC-12 has had Washington and Oregon once each. The Big 12 has had Oklahoma four times (0-4, speaking of mediocre). Remember that Auburn went to the title game in 2013.

As far as Top 10 finishes in the play-off era (2014-2019) we have these teams:
SEC: Alabama-6
Georgia-4
LSU, Auburn and Florida-2 each
Ole Miss-1
Big 12: Oklahoma-4
TCU-3
Texas and Baylor-once each.

Which SEC teams have been serious contenders for the SEC title? In Championship game appearances you have Alabama 4 times, Georgia 3 times, Florida 2 times, and Missouri, Auburn and LSU once each. Depending on how you looked at what a serious contender was, you might add Mississippi State (they finished 11th in the country in 2014) and Kentucky (they finished #12 in 2018 and played Georgia for the East title in mid-November).
HarryMehre
Historically the SEC has had the big 6 teams (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn and Florida) and the bottom 3 (Mississippi State, Kentucky and Vanderbilt). Ole Miss was great from 1947-1970, but not much before or since. Florida really didn't enter this group until the mid 1960's. Miss State, UK and even Vandy have shown signs of life the last 10 years.

As to the "new" additions, historically South Carolina would be a bottom three contender, Arkansas hasn't found the SEC to be as fun as the old SWC, and still not real sure about where Missouri and the Aggies fit in. Right now they are in the bottom half, but the Aggies really should be higher with their resources (But how long have we been saying that about the Ags? 40 years? 45?).

My question is, If the SEC is mediocre, who is great?
gobears20
Staff
historian
I did stress recent years. What any conference or team did 20+ years ago is hardly relevant today--in terms of the great teams or conferences.

I know the SEC has done some big things but I still think they are overrated. Other than Alabama, no team is consistently at the top year after year. LSU was amazing last year but unlikely to repeat soon. It was wonderful for college football that Alabama did not do so well.
Thee University
NFL Players

SEC - 339
Big 10 - 253
ACC - 215
PAC 12 - 189
Big 12 - 131
American - 100
Mountain West - 65
C USA - 59
MAC - 46
Independent - 35
Sun Belt - 21

Alabama - 56
Ohio State - 45
Florida - 35
Miami - 34
LSU - 32
Florida State - 32
Oklahoma - 31
Georgia - 29
Penn State - 28
Texas A&M - 28
Clemson - 27
Wisconsin - 26
Auburn - 26
Stanford - 25
Notre Dame - 25
Washington - 25
Tennessee - 24
Michigan - 24
Iowa - 24
South Carolina - 24
UCLA - 23
Texas - 22
USC - 20
Nebraska - 20
Mississippi State - 19
Oregon - 17
Cal - 16
UCF - 16
Temple - 16
West Virginia - 16
North Carolina - 15
Louisville - 15
Utah - 15
TCU - 14
Pitt - 14
North Carolina State - 14
Virginia Tech - 14

Oklahoma State - 12
Texas Tech - 11
Kansas State - 10
Baylor - 7
Kansas - 5
Iowa State - 4

Thee University
historian said:

I did stress recent years. What any conference or team did 20+ years ago is hardly relevant today--in terms of the great teams or conferences.

I know the SEC has done some big things but I still think they are overrated. Other than Alabama, no team is consistently at the top year after year. LSU was amazing last year but unlikely to repeat soon. It was wonderful for college football that Alabama did not do so well.
I disagree.

What teams did since opening their doors matters. I will admit that the millenial kids (those that actually like sports) feel like you do. They are short sighted.

Older folks look more long term and know that tradition, past successes, marketability, # of conference titles, # of national titles, etc. can bring in more $$$$ for the university.
perrynative
HarryMehre said:

perrynative said:

2020 Lsu
2021 Arkansas
2022 Alabama
2023 Alabama
2024 Michigan
2025 Ohio State
2026 Ohio State
2027 Michigan
2028 Georgia
2029 Georgia
2030 Florida
2031 Florida
Eat crow.
One big game a year and 2/3 nobodies has been the SEC model for the past decade. I will admit that Texas has a BIG game almost every year, but UTSA and UTEP?
Proven wrong so you double down. Good job Paul, keep up the good work defending everything SEC.
Task Force 2015
As to the number of NFL players per conference,the Big 12 has 10 schools not 12 or 14.
historian
I understand the importance of tradition, money, etc.

All I'm talking about is what teams or doing today and which ones will do well. I'd like to believe that there is more to the game than just the money, so I will leave that out for now. To me it's about the competition and I'm always happy when someone other than a blue blood does well. Last year was wonderful because Bama was not in the playoffs. I would have been happier had the SEC been left out altogether but I don't think of LSU as a traditional blue blood.

If tradition mattered most then we should just dispense with the committee and make the playoffs between OSU, Bama, Clemson, & Notre Dame every year. It would be boring & I would never watch (along with many others), but tradition above all else. Heck just forget about the games & give the trophy to Bama & ND in alternating years because of Bear Bryant & Knute Rockne. But you'd have to give it to A&M every once in awhile because they had BB briefly.

My point is that tradition is irrelevant to who is good now. Baylor is much better the past decade than they were any time since CGT. That is important. If they can win the Big 12 with 0 or one loss, then they should be in the playoffs. ND has had a couple good season recently, but also much mediocrity. Bama did not deserve to be in last year and, arguably, in 2017-18. Tradition has nothing to do with who deserves to be in.
whitetrash
HarryMehre said:

The reason UT-Austin is playing UT-San Antonio and UT- El Paso is simple:

Because neither UT-Tyler, UT-Permian Basin, nor UT-Rio Grande Valley have a football team.
No Longer Gold
HarryMehre said:

Swart Dra said:

so you use the past of baylor to compare to the future of the sec...yeah, that makes sense...

BU has Auburn, Oregon, BYU, and plenty on their future schedules...SEC still plays 3 patsies every year...

I hope your Biden vote works out for you.
boognish_bear
Timbear
We really need football to start.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.