Football
Sponsored by

BU/Ole Miss game to be cancelled?

5,488 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Shakesbear
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a surprise.... But still sucks

I hate covid

Shakesbear
I was looking forward to that game
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
SIC EM 94
This sucks worse than cinque!!!
CHP Bear
My MSM sources told me game was cancelled because face masks didn't meet COVID 19 standards.
BylrFan

Not canceled... yet
CTbruin
SIC EM 94 said:

Close.......but no
SIC EM 94
CTbruin said:

SIC EM 94 said:

Close.......but no

You're right...I overreacted . Nothing sucks worse than cinque.
BluesBear
Baylor was set to wax them anyways....
Baylor3216
Guys, if y'all expect football before the election you're nuts.

Just know how what you support helps cause this to happen. Don't be a useless eater.
chriscbear
My dream is BU wins Big 12, while OHIO ST gets left out of Playoff because of weaker schedule due to football cancel culture (fcc) and BU makes playoff. Yes please.
Baylor3216
chriscbear said:

My dream is BU wins Big 12, while OHIO ST gets left out of Playoff because of weaker schedule due to football cancel culture (fcc) and BU makes playoff. Yes please.

You realize Baylor is poster child for cancel culture no?
boognish_bear
Aliceinbubbleland
Interesting speculation going on between ACC/Big12/SEC on LSU Tigerdroppings. Apparently Stankey is talking with ACC Commish. Not sure if Bowlsby is awake yet.

This is the move.

UGA-GA Tech, UF-FSU, UL-UK, Clemson-SC, and the other 10 play the Big 12 that week.

Already have LSU-Texas, Tenn-OU, and Ole Miss-Baylor on the books anyway. Would keep those games on schedule. TCU was already trying to play Bama in Arlington too. Makes a ton of sense.
joseywales
worldwide over 650,000 deaths from the flu virus, about 400,000 deaths from covid in 20202.. does this mean we will never ave sports again since we are treating this virus like the Spanish flu that killed 5.6 percent of the worlds population. covid has killed .00006. so will we start cancelling events because of the flu? The death rate % wise is now almost the same as we test more and more people.
Stranger
UNITED STATES: 7,779 DEATHS PER DAY FROM ALL CAUSES vs. 742 DEATHS PER DAY FROM COVID

We cannot let the fear of COVID take over our lives. Death is a natural progression of life. We all will die at some time. It might be from COVID, but the chances are far greater that we will die from some other cause.
Aliceinbubbleland
Bama/USC cancelled
tOSU/Ducks cancelled

What with cable cutting ESPN must be having a heart attack. If there is no football ESPN may have to become a financial network
chriscbear
I believe the numer of people who died from covid 19 in the 15 to 24 age bracket from March 1 to June 17 is like 124. Very very low for high school and college age people. If you figure how many were high school/college athletes it would reduce that number to 1 or less. Just saying
Dia del DougO
Probably gonna be cancelled is my wild guess, but they should consider tentatively rescheduling for the end of the season, with exception for CCG qualification by either, or other factors, a free opt out.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Stranger
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Bama/USC cancelled
tOSU/Ducks cancelled

What with cable cutting ESPN must be having a heart attack. If there is no football ESPN may have to become a financial network

ESPN showed an Eagles concert this week.
Dia del DougO
Stranger said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Bama/USC cancelled
tOSU/Ducks cancelled

ESPN showed an Eagles concert this week.
They really should stick to music.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Mitch Henessey
joseywales said:

worldwide over 650,000 deaths from the flu virus, about 400,000 deaths from covid in 20202.. does this mean we will never ave sports again since we are treating this virus like the Spanish flu that killed 5.6 percent of the worlds population. covid has killed .00006. so will we start cancelling events because of the flu? The death rate % wise is now almost the same as we test more and more people.
It's been less than a year since this virus appeared in the scene. Patience, grasshopper. I'm sure America isn't done showing its ass in its response to a global pandemic.
REvansBU71
Fox was nationally televising soccer w/Frisbees.

We have lost our way.
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Jorkel
Mitch Henessey said:

joseywales said:

It's been less than a year since this virus appeared in the scene. Patience, grasshopper. I'm sure America isn't done showing its ass in its response to a global pandemic.

What he probably intended to say was...let's resume life as it was and let the virus run it's course...we should just let the people who are going to die from it go ahead and die from it now what's a million dead people in a year when the planet has over 7 billion.
Dia del DougO
REvansBU71 said:

We have lost our way.

At least it was some form of actual sport, rather than cranky old men screaming at each other in a studio.
ABC BEAR
Will there ever be an announcement of what constitutes an accptable standard of Covid cases in the general population which will allow us to return to normal activities? Reacting to fear isn't a plan going forward, it's an admission that you have no plan.
perrynative
Dia del DougO said:

REvansBU71 said:

We have lost our way.

At least it was some form of actual sport, rather than cranky old men screaming at each other in a studio.
Stick to The Herd. His sidekick is anything but cranky.
Mitch Henessey
Jorkel said:

Mitch Henessey said:

joseywales said:

What he probably intended to say was...let's resume life as it was and let the virus run it's course...we should just let the people who are going to die from it go ahead and die from it now what's a million dead people in a year when the planet has over 7 billion.
Sure. If they're going to die, they better do it. And decrease the surplus population.
gobears20
Staff
RightRevBear
I love how the people on here that are complaining about all the restrictions due to Covid-19 are the same people that will complain the most when they are unable to get a room at a hospital due to it being full of Covid patients. The restrictions keep the spread manageable for our healthcare systems to treat those who have Covid-19, and hopefully save as many lives as we can. If you are being stupid, don't be pissed if you are in a hospital bed in a hallway with no privacy, TV, electrical outlets to charge your devices, etc.

Many hospitals are having daily censuses higher than what they have during the height of respiratory season. Summer time is usually a time of low hospital census, but this year we are having to open up children's hospitals to adults in order to have enough appropriate beds. A good example is the largest children's hospital in the world, Texas Children's is having to admit adult patients now due to Covid-19. https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/23/texas-childrens-hospital-now-admitting-adults-as-other-area-hospitals-prepare-to-activate-surge-plans/

What is it going to look like in the Fall when hospitals are often full?

No Longer Gold
ICU in dallas is at 70% capacity. Average is 80%. pretty sure those that need beds....which is very small...will get them.

boognish_bear
Jack Bauer
Our sports lives have become The Ocho which is slightly better than the Hallmark Channel.

Welcome to hell for men.

RightRevBear
Swart Dra said:

ICU in dallas is at 70% capacity. Average is 80%. pretty sure those that need beds....which is very small...will get them.

I work in the healthcare field, I see the patient census and Covid-19 numbers for multiple hospitals in Texas on a daily basis. My opinions are based on my 17 years in healthcare, and the information that I am given by my employer and other reputable healthcare outlets.

As a side note, I hate Ole Miss with the same passion I hate A&M and TCU. I grew up a Mississippi State fan. I had planned to attend the game and yell "Go to Hell Ole Miss" after the Star Spangled Banner. Only myself, the Ole Miss fans, and a few others would understand. Mississippi State fans yell it at the end of the national anthem at every game, not just when they play Ole Miss.

1. Where did you get the 70% number from? The latest press release that I can find that says 70% comes from May 21 in D Magazine. We are in a different place than we were at the end of May.

2. Many hospitals in the DFW area have had to suspend elective surgeries in compliance with the Governor's order. Did you know that CABG surgery, commonly known as heart bypass surgery, is often considered elective? It is not uncommon for these patients to spend some time in the ICU after their surgery though. I wonder how any of us would feel if ourselves or a loved one were told you need bypass surgery. It is going to be delayed indefinitely though, because we have to save beds for idiots who think they don't need to wear masks, don't practice social distancing, and that college football is more important than your life.

3. Again Summer is usually a time of low hospital census, and this includes ICU's. Using your unverified numbers, if we are at 70% during the slow time and our average is 80%, we will be above 100% during our busiest time which is respiratory season. During normal years, it is not uncommon for patients to have to wait over 24 hours in the Emergency Department during respiratory season at many hospitals before a room becomes available.

4. ICU bed capacity and hospital bed capacity are not as straight forward as it often appears. ICU capacity includes Pediatric ICU's and NICU's. Also, just because a bed is available doesn't mean it is a bed that you can have because it is an inappropriate bed for you. The hospital might have beds available in its mental health unit. This bed would do you no good. It doesn't have the appropriate hookups such as Oxygen, and they can't bring the portable equipment in because a mental health patient might harm you, themselves, or others with it. Beds might be available on transplant units, labor and delivery, post-partum, mental health, NICU, PICU, oncology, and other units, but you are probably not getting them.

You will be in a hallway in the emergency room until they get full. Then they will probably start using surgical prep bays, OR's, and recovery bays that will be staffed by people that do not specialize in the type of care that you need. They will then start to put people in other hallways until they can find another facility to transport you to for care. That is going to be hard though because those facilities are going to fill up quickly. You might be sent to a children's hospital where the doctors are used to working on kids instead of adults. You might be sent to a temporary hospital that some level of government has setup in a convention center. It might not be properly staffed or equipped. You might think I am paranoid, but all of these things have happened in the US during this pandemic.

The medical professionals that many of you rely on to help you when you are sick and injured say that you should wear a mask, practice social distancing, avoid large gatherings, etc. You trust them to prescribe medications, provide information about illness, instruct on needed lifestyle changes, and assist with other healthcare needs. Trust them on this issue too.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
RightRevBear said:

Swart Dra said:

I work in the healthcare field, I see the patient census and Covid-19 numbers for multiple hospitals in Texas on a daily basis. My opinions are based on my 17 years in healthcare, and the information that I am given by my employer and other reputable healthcare outlets.

As a side note, I hate Ole Miss with the same passion I hate A&M and TCU. I grew up a Mississippi State fan. I had planned to attend the game and yell "Go to Hell Ole Miss" after the Star Spangled Banner. Only myself, the Ole Miss fans, and a few others would understand. Mississippi State fans yell it at the end of the national anthem at every game, not just when they play Ole Miss.

1. Where did you get the 70% number from? The latest press release that I can find that says 70% comes from May 21 in D Magazine. We are in a different place than we were at the end of May.

2. Many hospitals in the DFW area have had to suspend elective surgeries in compliance with the Governor's order. Did you know that CABG surgery, commonly known as heart bypass surgery, is often considered elective? It is not uncommon for these patients to spend some time in the ICU after their surgery though. I wonder how any of us would feel if ourselves or a loved one were told you need bypass surgery. It is going to be delayed indefinitely though, because we have to save beds for idiots who think they don't need to wear masks, don't practice social distancing, and that college football is more important than your life.

3. Again Summer is usually a time of low hospital census, and this includes ICU's. Using your unverified numbers, if we are at 70% during the slow time and our average is 80%, we will be above 100% during our busiest time which is respiratory season. During normal years, it is not uncommon for patients to have to wait over 24 hours in the Emergency Department during respiratory season at many hospitals before a room becomes available.

4. ICU bed capacity and hospital bed capacity are not as straight forward as it often appears. ICU capacity includes Pediatric ICU's and NICU's. Also, just because a bed is available doesn't mean it is a bed that you can have because it is an inappropriate bed for you. The hospital might have beds available in its mental health unit. This bed would do you no good. It doesn't have the appropriate hookups such as Oxygen, and they can't bring the portable equipment in because a mental health patient might harm you, themselves, or others with it. Beds might be available on transplant units, labor and delivery, post-partum, mental health, NICU, PICU, oncology, and other units, but you are probably not getting them.

You will be in a hallway in the emergency room until they get full. Then they will probably start using surgical prep bays, OR's, and recovery bays that will be staffed by people that do not specialize in the type of care that you need. They will then start to put people in other hallways until they can find another facility to transport you to for care. That is going to be hard though because those facilities are going to fill up quickly. You might be sent to a children's hospital where the doctors are used to working on kids instead of adults. You might be sent to a temporary hospital that some level of government has setup in a convention center. It might not be properly staffed or equipped. You might think I am paranoid, but all of these things have happened in the US during this pandemic.

The medical professionals that many of you rely on to help you when you are sick and injured say that you should wear a mask, practice social distancing, avoid large gatherings, etc. You trust them to prescribe medications, provide information about illness, instruct on needed lifestyle changes, and assist with other healthcare needs. Trust them on this issue too.

Seems the daily update from the mayor would be a better indicator than D Magazine from May.
StacyLynn624
Brian Ethridge said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics as reported by 25 hospitals in the <a href="https://twitter.com/CityOfDallas?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CityOfDallas</a>:<br><br>Total beds: 5885<br>Beds occupied: 4130 (70%)<br>Total ICU beds: 914<br>ICU beds occupied: 630 (69%)<br>Total ventilators: 965<br>Ventilators in use: 394 (41%)</p>— Mayor Eric Johnson (@Johnson4Dallas) <a href="https://twitter.com/Johnson4Dallas/status/1283455777605332992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems the daily update from the mayor would be a better indicator than D Magazine from May.

He never specifies how many of those are COVID vs something else. It's annnoying.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.