Story Poster
Photo by Jim Black
Baylor Football

Baylor will likely start season at 25% capacity, Mack Rhoades says

August 5, 2020

In his weekly segment with SicEm365 Radio on Wednesday, Baylor Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades stated that it is likely McLane Stadium will be reduced to 25% capacity to begin the 2020 football season. Though that number is not set in stone, Rhoades stated the additional reduction in capacity is becoming more likely despite being set on 50% capacity over the last several weeks.

The update from Rhoades comes after the Big 12 announced earlier this week that the league would play just nine conference games along with a single out of conference game with conference play beginning in mid to late September. The Big 12 was the last major conference to make a decision on the scheduling model for the season. 

Baylor’s season opener against Ole Miss of the Southeastern Conference was canceled when the SEC announced last week that the league would play no out of conference games this fall.

Incarnate Word and Louisiana Tech remain on Baylor’s schedule as potential opponents for Baylor’s single non-conference game. Rhoades stated a decision on which opponent would travel to McLane for the first game of the season could come by the end of the week.

Additionally, Rhoades stated a shuffle of all Big 12 contests could be on the table as the league looks to finalize the schedule for the season. Baylor’s conference opener against Kansas was originally set for Saturday, Sept. 12 in Waco. Dates of the contests, not locations, will likely be reviewed.

Discussion from...

Baylor will likely start season at 25% capacity, Mack Rhoades says

8,991 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Shakesbear
philiplewis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How in the world do they decide which 25% get in
Threebears
$$$$$
FWBear91
I assume this is not a season-long decision. I want them to tell us what conditions must be met for them to allow 50%, 75%, or full capacity. It's reasonable to plan for best-case scenarios (while also planning under current conditions) and hope for full capacity games later in the season.
BaylorRocks
philiplewis said:

How in the world do they decide which 25% get in
Published seating capacity is 45,140
25% of that is 11,285

Keep in mind that planning/allocating for even an average student turnout for each game, there will be an extremely low available capacity of seats for non-students. Plus, add band, cheerleaders, etc. who should be given the option/right to attend as well.....even if just as students. And don't forget key recruits and their entourage. Then, you have allocations for the visiting team/school.

With all of the considerations above, which is the right thing to do, available seats for the non-enrolled fan base will be few.

Don't get your hopes up that they'll be non-school related fans at the games. Start getting your Facebook Live and YouTube Live skills ramped up. Perhaps, don't get your hopes up that there'll be games at all this fall.

Sic'em
chriscbear
Maybe get to 15000 then 20000. No more than 20,000 will show up till covid gone.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Visiting team fans likely not a concern.
historian
Probably. But some of those fan bases will want to be there in force--especially the Frogs. They can be crazy.

And we know they would all love to outnumber Baylor fans in our own stadium.
BearLegal
philiplewis, I hope your question was intended to be rhetorical. Not only will $$ drive the show, as it has for some years now, but look ahead to when you are not among the "elect." Will you get your seat option money back? (another rhetorical question).
Brian Ethridge
Staff
historian said:

Probably. But some of those fan bases will want to be there in force--especially the Frogs. They can be crazy.

And we know they would all love to outnumber Baylor fans in our own stadium.

They'll have to find bears willing to sell, but I believe there might be safeguards this year.
historian
Good question: how does the 25% fit in with the visiting team's allotment?
Aliceinbubbleland
Brian Ethridge said:

It may be when reimbursement is demanded by visitors not allowed to attend. I assume the easy way out for the Big12 is to say visitors get 2.5% of their allotment.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Brian Ethridge said:

It may be when reimbursement is demanded by visitors not allowed to attend. I assume the easy way out for the Big12 is to say visitors get 2.5% of their allotment.

I don't think visiting tickets will be issued.
longtimebear
Just fly or post a Black Lives Matter banner in the stadium and Baylor won't have to worry about how many get to go or donations either.
BUletters
Brian Ethridge said:

Agree on that. Probably no tickets or no more than 500 to visitors.
Aliceinbubbleland
Shakesbear
historian said:

Good question: how does the 25% fit in with the visiting team's allotment?

I don't think visitors will be allowed at all. Strictly Home fans.
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.