Football
Sponsored by

CMR's rookie NFL coaching year

17,218 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
RegentCoverup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

Rhule's goal has always been to coach in the NFL and he's there now. To think he'll be retired in three years is ludicrous. Just because his career aspirations did not align with what some of us thought they should be, doesn't make him a bad or greedy person. Most people have held jobs that were mere stops on the way to larger goals. It sucks that Baylor was that for Rhule, but no college job was going to provide for him what he was looking for.

Baylor, at that time, had to make that concession. But pretty much was about the money now, wasn't it?

But NFL owners have probably 100's of coaches telling them that their goal is to coach in the NFL.

If he doesn't win, his goal of being a college coach again, might suddenly appear.

bear2be2
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

bear2be2 said:

To think he'll be retired in three years is ludicrous.
Oh look, someone that doesn't understand $$$.

The contract he signed with the Panthers is a conservative $60 million over 7 years.
By year three, he will have earned half of that, in addition to the millions he made at Baylor. So if he's made $35 million with the Panthers in three years, after taxes he's probably taking home $17-20 million, throw in $2-$ million from Baylor years and he's got enough to quit and live comfortably. If his record is above .500 by year three, he won't have any trouble getting to year 7 on that contract in which case, he stands to take home just north of $30 million.

I can't speak for you, but most folks I know could live comfortably on $30 million.

So tell me what part of that is 'ludicrous,' as you say.

Having enough to retire and actually retiring are two different things. Matt Rhule is still a relatively young coach who loves football. He'll be coaching for another decade at least, maybe closer to two. And that's whether or not he succeeds in Carolina.
bear2be2
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

bear2be2 said:

Rhule's goal has always been to coach in the NFL and he's there now. To think he'll be retired in three years is ludicrous. Just because his career aspirations did not align with what some of us thought they should be, doesn't make him a bad or greedy person. Most people have held jobs that were mere stops on the way to larger goals. It sucks that Baylor was that for Rhule, but no college job was going to provide for him what he was looking for.

Baylor, at that time, had to make that concession. But pretty much was about the money now, wasn't it?

But NFL owners have probably 100's of coaches telling them that their goal is to coach in the NFL.

If he doesn't win, his goal of being a college coach again, might suddenly appear.

If Rhule fails in the NFL, he may end back up in college, but that would be a fallback option, not his best case scenario. His best case scenario has always been coaching pro ball, and that's ok. I don't know why people keep trying to make that a character flaw.
Mitch Henessey
The constant of him always having his eyes on the horizon, looking out for the next big thing, was an annoyance. And he didn't leave in a very gracious way. I'll concede that to the anti-Rhule guys of the world.

But anyone who cannot appreciate the phenomenal job he did in his 3 years at Baylor is acting a fool. It's clear if you read his comments and watched his pressers over the years that he's always viewed himself as an NFL guy. Good for him, and I hope he's found what he wanted and can stop scanning the horizon finally.
Timbear
Rhule did an incredible job at Baylor for which he was paid handsomely, as he should have been. Glad it worked out for both. (Art is 4-0 after laying 53 points on the opponent Friday night.)
boognish_bear
I've heard several coaches on the current staff talk about what a great football culture they walked into at BU with all of the players. In addition to the impressive things he accomplished in 3 years here....he also left us in great shape to keep moving forward.
BearFan33
Rhule took the job when we were an absolute self inflicted dumpster fire. He got us out of the news and then back in the news in a good way. Although he could have left with a little more grace, I wish him all the best in the pros.
hodedofome
bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

bear2be2 said:

If Rhule fails in the NFL, he may end back up in college, but that would be a fallback option, not his best case scenario. His best case scenario has always been coaching pro ball, and that's ok. I don't know why people keep trying to make that a character flaw.
If Rhule fails he'll just take another HC job in the NFL. They love retreads there and pay them handsomely.
bear2be2
hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

bear2be2 said:

If Rhule fails he'll just take another HC job in the NFL. They love retreads there and pay them handsomely.
I meant fails in the NFL altogether, which may or may not include multiple head coaching opportunties.
PartyBear
hodedofome said:

bear2be2 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

bear2be2 said:

This is something I have found odd over the past 20 years or so. NFL owners make weird decisions. A HC who fails and I mean even miserably will get 3 or 4 other shots at NFL HC jobs before his HC career is finally over. They also hire position coaches as HCs and get them on that track. ADs seem to be a lot more picky.
boognish_bear

Aliceinbubbleland
boognish_bear said:

Just a thread to keep tabs on how CMR's rookie coaching season goes.

If you think "who the hell cares about CMR anymore?" then this isn't the thread for you.

The Panthers take on the Las Vegas Raiders today (that just sounds weird). Raiders are 3 point favorites.
Good thread. Wishing nothing but the best for Matt Rhule and Carolina. I thought he was crazy after his first season here when he said we would be going to a bowl the next year. We did. Last season was a season to remember. Go to hell OU.
gobears20
Staff
boognish_bear
Panthers 20
Falcons 13
Q4 13:00

If Panthers hang on to win they will move to 3-2 and be tied with TB for 1st place in NFC South
Aliceinbubbleland
https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401220306

Way to go coach.
Aliceinbubbleland
BearForce
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Process!
Stefano DiMera
Jerry Jones will rue the day he didn't make the call to Waco...yesterdays Texas OU proves Riley is overrated..Carolina will be in Super Bowl in 4 years..
Timbear
You've got to give Rhule his props. Great job so far. Really impressive.
Stefano DiMera
Looks like hes earning Coach Killer nickname..First Kliff Kingsbury at Tech..Falcons to announce Dan Quinn fired on Monday or Tuesday..
Bears2Cane
He's winning games with his best player on the sidelines. This Carolina team is underrated and could make some noise this year. Love to see it
Green&GoldStandard
Stefano DiMera said:

Jerry Jones will rue the day he didn't make the call to Waco...yesterdays Texas OU proves Riley is overrated..Carolina will be in Super Bowl in 4 years..

Jerry will rue nothing as long as stupid Cowboys fans keep putting money in his pocket.

Signed,
Jimmy Johnson.
Mitch Henessey
Green&GoldStandard said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Jerry will rue nothing as long as stupid Cowboys fans keep putting money in his pocket.

Signed,
Jimmy Johnson.
This. Assuming Jerruh values winning even half as much as he does making money is to fundamentally misunderstand the man.
Aliceinbubbleland
Rhule went for it three times on fourth down, two failures, one success. Very aggressive play calling tonight.
Aliceinbubbleland
Bridgewater victim of dirty foul by dirty birds
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Just wear your mask and don't fail a pop quiz!!!!! Super Bowl bound, Baby!!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Aliceinbubbleland
Panthers defense needs work
Stefano DiMera
All 4 of their losses theyve had the ball last possession to win or tie..and the record of teams theyve lost to is 17-8
Aliceinbubbleland
Good game. Unfortunate pick for Bridgewater deep into final drive.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
The Carolina Panthers are 3-5 and in 3rd place in the NFC South. After reading through this thread, I would have thought they had the best record in the NFL and had clinched home field throughout the playoffs.

Baylor people. Gotta love 'em. The glass is always half full, even when it has shattered on the tile floor! LOL!!!

-- Barack Obama
Aliceinbubbleland
And in keeping with those of us who like to see what's happening beyond McLennan Co we offer to you tonight's game between Tulsa and East Carolina bringing to you Zack Smith and Phil Montgomery
boognish_bear
Stefano DiMera said:

All 4 of their losses theyve had the ball last possession to win or tie..and the record of teams theyve lost to is 17-8

And 6 of the losses in that 8 were all Atlanta's
Stefano DiMera
I may have to call animal cruelty on you...because you constantly beat a dead horse...we get it..you never liked Rhule..or respected what he did here..we get it...ad infinitum..we get it..
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Stefano DiMera said:

I may have to call animal cruelty on you...because you constantly beat a dead horse...we get it..you never liked Rhule..or respected what he did here..we get it...ad infinitum..we get it..
My post was not intended to ridicule Rhule. It was aimed more at our cheerleading fan base. I merely listed his team's record and current place in the standings. I hope he figures things out and can turn things around. I wish him no ill will.

-- Barack Obama
Stefano DiMera
Thats not what you did...reread your post..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.