Football
Sponsored by

CMR's rookie NFL coaching year

16,993 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
bear2be2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure why there are arguments about Rhule. He is the past. He was not as terrible as he appeared in 17 and is no where near as great as some among his cult following think. I suspect he would have ended up generally about a .500 coach here had he stayed, which in the modern world and with the money we put in now would not have been enough to stay here a real long time.

Rhule has literally never won less than 10 games after his second year at any stop in his head coaching career. To suggest he'd have been a .500 coach at Baylor had he stayed is ludicrous.

You don't have to like Matt Rhule, but to try to paint him as anything but an excellent football coach just makes you look silly.
Stefano DiMera
.500 coach?!?!
PartyBear
Yeah....incidentally that was about his actual record at Baylor.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

And you don't think that had anything to do with the fact that he started at ground zero?
PartyBear
Again as I said I dont see why people keep talking about Rhule. He is the past. I pointed that out and of course there are attempts to start arguments about the greatness of Rhule by his followers. Just watch his career forward maybe he will make the Panthers a dynasty like Noll did the Steelers, Walsh did the 49ers and Bellichick did the Patriots. I dont know he may be the greatest football coach ever born. He also may yet flop. I dont know. His career is not that important to me.
Bear8084
PartyBear said:

Again as I said I dont see why people keep talking about Rhule. He is the past. I pointed that out and of course there are attempts to start arguments about the greatness of Rhule by his followers. Just watch his career forward maybe he will make the Panthers a dynasty like Noll did the Steelers, Walsh did the 49ers and Bellichick did the Patriots. I dont know he may be the greatest football coach ever born. He also may yet flop. I dont know. His career is not that important to me.

Because he was a successful Baylor coach. We have a whole thread about an ex-QB that had one good game and then transferred out after saying he was going to stay. CMR did a whole lot more good for Baylor than he did so it makes sense to have a thread and bring up a successful Baylor coach. Trying to talk negative about CMR is baffling to me from all the positives he brought and built up.
Mitch Henessey
I will say, if we're going to complain about posters dwelling in the past and talking about old coaches, we should probably start with the ones talking about the guy who was three head coaches ago, then work our way up to the last guy.
boognish_bear
Looks like the CMR might be faced with some staff changes

boognish_bear
Well.... CMR may also be in the market for a new OC

hodedofome
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

And you don't think that had anything to do with the fact that he started at ground zero?

It was Rhule's choice to start at ground zero. He could have won more games the first year if he didn't try to change everything about the program all at once.
historian
The changes he implemented in year 1 (or year zero, if you prefer) made possible the success of 2018 & 2019.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
boognish_bear
Some QBs for Rhule to consider. Ehlinger is gutsy, tough as hell, and a surprisingly good runner. But I don't see him making it in the NFL. Doesn't seem to have the arm talent.

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Well....after spending all his picks on D last year....CMR starts this year with more D. We aren't surprised.

boognish_bear
CMR picks up Chuba

Timbear
I think Rhule drafted 2 running backs didn't he?
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.