Football
Sponsored by

Dak Prescott is an average QB.

2,600 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dia del DougO
Mothra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought it for years, and last night was just further proof. He's pretty dang good when you have the best o line in the league and he has time to go through every progression. But with a good/not great offensive line, he's meh. Missed receivers all night long, and he's not accurate when he has to scramble. And he doesn't elevate the play of his teammates. More of a game manager than anything. We saw the same thing last year. He had good stats which benefited greatly from a team playing from behind and trying to catch a big lead.

I doubt Jerry will let him walk, but he should. Going to be another long year.
Realitybites
Yep. Oddly enough, there was talk about the Cowboys reaching the super bowl this year in some circles. His performance probably put that to rest.
geewago
Realitybites said:

Yep. Oddly enough, there was talk about the Cowboys reaching the super bowl this year in some circles. His performance probably put that to rest.
There is talk every year of the Cowboys going to the SB
Squatch Hunter
Good but not great. Back up TE cannot catch. Lamb looked like a rookie. The UDFA at right tackle is not the solution. Rams rolled up and down the field on the D. Same Cowboys, same results. Gonna be a long season.
JP1037
Dumb dumb dumb call to go for it on 4th down in the red zone with less than 8 minutes remaining. Like Jason Garrett dumb.

But Dak's biggest problem IMO is he doesn't process quickly. He can't seem to quickly go from one receiver to the other and then get rid of the ball or scramble for more time. He just kind stands there and gets hit or sacked. Sac Prescot.
muddybrazos
I thought Dak looked fine and CD Lamb looked good. Zeke looked great. Not kicking the fg was a terrible decision and i'm surprised McCarthy didnt take the points. Thats NFL coaching 101 when in the 4th quarter.
Media Bear
When Dallas wins: "That's what I'm talkin' bout! Goin' all the way this time!"

When Dallas loses: "Some old effin' Cowboys. Eff Jerry Jones!"

Mothra
Media Bear said:

When Dallas wins: "That's what I'm talkin' bout! Goin' all the way this time!"

When Dallas loses: "Some old effin' Cowboys. Eff Jerry Jones!"

Doesn't this describe most NFL fans, outside of perhaps the Browns fans?

Dallas hasn't sniffed a SB in two decades. Same old Cowboys, different day has been the norm for a long time now.
Mothra
muddybrazos said:

I thought Dak looked fine...
I guess that's my point. I agree with you he wasn't bad. He wasn't good either. He was just "fine." And I don't think "fine" is worthy of being the highest paid QB in the league, and outside of a couple of teams with phenomenal defensive play (see TB, Balt), "fine" certainly won't get you anywhere near a SB.
Mothra
Squatch Hunter said:

Good but not great. Back up TE cannot catch. Lamb looked like a rookie. The UDFA at right tackle is not the solution. Rams rolled up and down the field on the D. Same Cowboys, same results. Gonna be a long season.
Agreed on the defense. I thought Mike Nolan was a terrible hire, and certainly a downgrade from the previous staff. He's a career retread that always seems to get another shot a D coordinator somewhere, despite the failures at his previous stop.

Of course, I think re-tread McCarthy was a terrible hire, but so goes the Joneses.
trey3216
JP1037 said:

Dumb dumb dumb call to go for it on 4th down in the red zone with less than 8 minutes remaining. Like Jason Garrett dumb.

But Dak's biggest problem IMO is he doesn't process quickly. He can't seem to quickly go from one receiver to the other and then get rid of the ball or scramble for more time. He just kind stands there and gets hit or sacked. Sac Prescot.
There were 12.5 minutes remaining.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Dia del DougO
I thought Dak was one of the few highlights last night. He looked pretty sharp, even behind a balky line. Would the perception be different if the clutch pass that could have gotten them a win hadn't been stolen by a ****ty call?

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
Mothra said:

Squatch Hunter said:

Agreed on the defense. I thought Mike Nolan was a terrible hire, and certainly a downgrade from the previous staff. He's a career retread that always seems to get another shot a D coordinator somewhere, despite the failures at his previous stop.

Of course, I think re-tread McCarthy was a terrible hire, but so goes the Joneses.
This is the correct response.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
I didn't care much for the decision to go for it on 4th down, but it's one way to go that is great if it works. And there was nothing wrong with the play they called or the execution. The Ram defender just made a stellar play recognizing it from all the way across the field and making a fantastic play. Gotta give him credit.
Mothra
Dia del DougO said:

I thought Dak was one of the few highlights last night. He looked pretty sharp, even behind a balky line. Would the perception be different if the clutch pass that could have gotten them a win hadn't been stolen by a ****ty call?

As always with Dak, his numbers weren't terrible. 266 passing yards, 73 QBR, while dinking and dunking all over the place (6.8 avg.). But par for the course, when he had a chance to win the game, he came up short (again). Outside of that one pretty throw to Gallup, he was off target.
trey3216
Mothra said:

Dia del DougO said:

As always with Dak, his numbers weren't terrible. 266 passing yards, 73 QBR, while dinking and dunking all over the place (6.8 avg.). But par for the course, when he had a chance to win the game, he came up short (again). Outside of that one pretty throw to Gallup, he was off target.
That's pretty easy to say when the defense absolutely knows you're trying to throw the ball, has beaten up your OL all night, and is pinning their ears back every play. They had less than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball in the late game.
LionBear
Mothra said:

Dia del DougO said:

Throwing off his back foot again.

Not sure why he doesn't just emulate Russell Wilson and (1) drive off the front foot when he throws and (2) take off running a bit more (he did a slightly better job of this last night vs. last year).
Mothra
trey3216 said:

Mothra said:

Dia del DougO said:

That's pretty easy to say when the defense absolutely knows you're trying to throw the ball, has beaten up your OL all night, and is pinning their ears back every play. They had less than 2 seconds to get rid of the ball in the late game.
He had well more than 2 seconds. O line wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible. On one play at the end of the final drive I counted 6 seconds.

And it would be one thing if this was an anomaly, but this is the same Dak we've seen for years. The pretty good but not great Dak.
Hotsauce
Typical overreactions.

Dak looked fine last night.
ImwithBU
Guess he fits right in since the Cowboys are average team. Have been for nearly 3 decades.
muddybrazos
trey3216 said:

JP1037 said:

Bill Parcells woulda kicked the fg to tie the game.
JP1037
trey3216 said:

JP1037 said:

4.5 minutes less dumb then. Big contributing factor in losing the game in the end.
Baylor3216
Same as ut finishing the season ranked. Always hope until there's now.

1997-?????
Timbear
What is Dak's record against teams with a winning record? Not good.
trey3216
Timbear said:

What is Dak's record against teams with a winning record? Not good.

It's about the same percentage-wise as Aaron Rodgers surprisingly
Mothra
Hotsauce said:

Typical overreactions.

Dak looked fine last night.

Agreed. That was my point. He was fine. That ain't good and it's certainly not great.
GruntTuff
Dak may be an average QB, but Jerry Jones is a terrible owner. He makes money for himself (lots of it) but can't find a way to put a team on the field to match his ego.

It would be agonizing to be a Cowboys fan.

It sorta reminds me of what it must feel like to be a Longhorns fan. All hat, no cattle.
DAC
This is our year
robby44
Most wins since 2016

Tom Brady 47
Dak Prescott 40
Russell Wilson 40
Drew Brees 39
Mothra
robby44 said:

Most wins since 2016

Tom Brady 47
Dak Prescott 40
Russell Wilson 40
Drew Brees 39

During that period he had the best offensive line in football, the best running back and a stout receiving core. And marinelli had a pretty damn good defense as well. But bring a team from behind? Put a team on his back? Win a game? Doesn't happen often.

Dak is a good game manager who benefited from a great supporting cast.
Hob Howelll
Cowboys and Texans are very similar teams: quarterbacks that are probably a bit overrated, terrible head coaches, and terrible owners
Baylor University class of 2014
Backporch
JP1037 said:

I couldn't agree more. I was definitely yelling at the TV not to go for it or call a time out and kick the tying FG.

Bad call for the new coach.

I didn't want to watch the NFL with all the protesting BS...but I got sucked in because football. After seeing this team and the new coaches poor decisions this team will be 8-8 at best. So now I won't feel bad not watching them the rest of the year.
robby44
Dak Prescott is the first player in NFL history with 400 passing yards and 3 rushing TDs in a single game!
MrGolfguy
robby44 said:

Dak Prescott is the first player in NFL history with 400 passing yards and 3 rushing TDs in a single game!
The definition of average
coldhardtruth
This post aged well.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.