Football
Sponsored by

Coach O not upset that Dave Aranda left.

8,576 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FLBear5630
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff

Quote:

Orgeron also consistently heaped praise on Aranda throughout his time at LSU from 2016-19 with most of that under Orgeron.

"We are so much better on defense right now than any part of the season last year," Orgeron proclaimed on Tuesday.

Orgeron did not hire Aranda and grew tired of Aranda's inability to produce a lot of sacks and quarterback pressure despite gobs of talent and speed. Orgeron, who was a defensive line coach for virtually his entire assistant coaching career, has his own man now in defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, who tends to be more aggressive and is not quite the professorial coordinator Aranda was.

"I feel Bo Pelini has come in and he's brought a new energy, a new excitement and the 4-3," Orgeron said. Aranda primarily used a 3-4 defensive alignment with three down linemen and four linebackers.

Aranda tended to be overly scientific and overrated as he never had defenses at LSU that were commensurate to his salary that was No. 1 in the nation among assistant coaches at $2.5 million a year. In fact, Aranda's defenses never led the Southeastern Conference in any defensive categories, whereas former defensive coordinator John Chavis frequently did while having the pressure of much worse LSU offenses.

"Dave Aranda did a tremendous job for us, but I'm just glad that we moved to the 4-3," Orgeron said. "We're more of an attacking style of defense. We're using our personnel. Bo's done a tremendous job for us."

"Two scrimmages ago, we had more sacks than we had half of last season," Orgeron said Tuesday. "So to let you know, we're just not playing base defense. We're going to attack."
COVID-19 Revelation: Orgeron says most of team has already had it
Orgeron also felt LSU did not blitz enough under Aranda.
"We've got every blitz known to man now," he said. "We're playing base, but we're coming. We're bringing our linebackers. We're bringing our corners. They're going to have to count off everybody."

"We've got every blitz known to man now," he said. "We're playing base, but we're coming. We're bringing our linebackers. We're bringing our corners. They're going to have to count off everybody."

gobears20
Staff
Enjoy Bo Pelini lol
Russell Gym
Dick move.
ImABearToo
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Saddle Up!
Losers throw shade on one person to shine sunlight on another, especially when there is zero evidence that if CDA hadn't accepted the job here, he wouldn't still be at LSU.
BUbackerinET
Used to like that guy - shi**y cheap shot, classless move
Green&GoldStandard
gobears20 said:

Enjoy Bo Pelini lol

Bo's defense was so great at Nebraska it got him the job at Youngstown State.
Stefano DiMera
Explains Orgerons divorce..*******.
texillian
Hard to imagine an adult speaking of a colleague like that.
GranGrizz65
My one ? Is this: who is the head coach at LSU? Doesn't he have the final say in all matters? Maybe, this speaks more to him than Aranda!
Ursus Americanus
Is the writer of this article aware that LSU won last year with a high powered offense that forced opposing offenses to be pretty damn aggressive to keep up, and yet LSU's defense was still good enough to win almost every game in a blowout.

Look what LSU did to OU in the playoff, that was helluva a defense.

And that Aranda's defensive reputation predates LSU, he was a renowned coordinator at Wisconsin before that, so he's now coached elite talent in the Big 10, SEC and Big 12.

Not common for a coach that isn't a retread or as young as Aranda to have that much experience.
Mitch Henessey
LOL at "we had more sacks in one scrimmage last week than we had in half of last season."

Against your own OL, you dumb hick.
boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey said:

LOL at "we had more sacks in one scrimmage last week than we had in half of last season."

Against your own OL, you dumb hick.
Exactly....that cracked me up. Scrimmage against your own guys hardly tells you anything.
JXL
"I didn't want those grapes anyway."
Stefano DiMera
I think there's something deeper here..did we flip some LSU recruits?. This is unprecedented to me. Especially in light of their success..
Stefano DiMera
I think there's something deeper here..did we flip some LSU recruits?. This is unprecedented to me. Especially in light of their success..
Stranger
Only time will tell if hiring an LSU defensive coach who has never been a head coach will work out for Baylor.

Baylor did that once before with LSU defensive coach Bill Beall. Let's hope this hire will have better results.
I'm a Bearbacker
chorne68
Stranger said:

Only time will tell if hiring an LSU defensive coach who has never been a head coach will work out for Baylor.

Baylor did that once before with LSU defensive coach Bill Beall. Let's hope this hire will have better results.

I agree with this...he could be great or a bust. LSU could have a down year without him or have a great year without him. We will have to see. CMR was terrible his first year, OK his second year and lucky his third year. He was not our savior but was a good interim coach. We will see how he does in the NFL. I hope they both do very well.
TexasScientist
BUbackerinET said:

Used to like that guy - shi**y cheap shot, classless move
In the style of a certain Washington DC resident we all know.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Bear8084
chorne68 said:

Stranger said:

I agree with this...he could be great or a bust. LSU could have a down year without him or have a great year without him. We will have to see. CMR was terrible his first year, OK his second year and lucky his third year. He was not our savior but was a good interim coach. We will see how he does in the NFL. I hope they both do very well.

CMR's rebuilding was more than just luck...to say otherwise is ignoring a whole lot of what he did. From where we were to where we are now, yeah, he pretty much did save us.
boognish_bear
Timbear
Please don't say Bill Beall's name in the same sentence with Coach Grande. I was there for all 3 of Beall's seasons. Grande already has 1/3 of the wins after 1 game that Beall had after 3 years.
Timbear
Even after Baylor lost players to graduation, the strong foundation of winning and respect that Rhule built over 3 years is really a crucial key to Grande's early success.
Michibear
Timbear said:

Please don't say Bill Beall's name in the same sentence with Coach Grande. I was there for all 3 of Beall's seasons. Grande already has 1/3 of the wins after 1 game that Beall had after 3 years.
You might be the only one to appreciate my avatar on this site.
PartyBear
The Coach O that Ole Miss experienced may be emerging in Baton Rouge with some talent loss and the loss of several staff members.
boognish_bear
historian
They lost to Missouri!!! Aggies are looking better this year--and will probably beat them.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Michibear
Hahahahaha!!!!!

Mighty Missouri, which scored 19 against Alabama and 12 against Tennessee, just hung 45 on LSU.

I realize LSU lost a lot of good players on D, but Coach O can go pound sand. That's what happens when you start believing your own PR.

Franklins
Unfortunately I think everyone is about to find out how much of all these guy's success was due to Joe Burrow.

Including how his success affected the defense of side of the ball.
Bear8084
Franklins said:

Unfortunately I think everyone is about to find out how much of all these guy's success was due to Joe Burrow.

Including how his success affected the defense of side of the ball.

Well that and he lost most of the defense to the Draft and a ton of the coaching staff left on both sides of the ball. He's almost starting completely over.
Franklins
That's true, but they lose a ton of guys to the draft every year. They should have taken a step back, but not like this.

Aranda is a better coach and I don't think the D would have degraded this badly under his watch, but obviously a ton of his success had to do with Burrow & Co.
Bear8084
Franklins said:

That's true, but they lose a ton of guys to the draft every year. They should have taken a step back, but not like this.

Aranda is a better coach and I don't think the D would have degraded this badly under his watch, but obviously a ton of his success had to do with Burrow & Co.

It was, yes. But he didn't just lose Aranda, he lost a lot of offensive coaches too to either us or NFL jobs. On top of Aranda and him taking some defensive position coaches too. Coach O may very well be a Gene Chizik type of coach as some early signs point to, but he is also climbing an uphill battle replacing a lot of guys on top of trying to steer through a pandemic.
Green&GoldStandard
Bear8084 said:

Franklins said:

It was, yes. But he didn't just lose Aranda, he lost a lot of offensive coaches too to either us or NFL jobs. On top of Aranda and him taking some defensive position coaches too. Coach O may very well be a Gene Chizik type of coach as some early signs point to, but he is also climbing an uphill battle replacing a lot of guys on top of trying to steer through a pandemic.

Just like Chizik, Orgeron is who he is... you could even add Gumbo Fishless into that group. They all caught lightning in a bottle...once. This is a "what have you done for me lately society" so what have they done lately?
boognish_bear
BUGWBBear
Hilarious
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.