Story Poster
Photo by Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Baylor senior running backs Ebner, Lovett to opt out

October 25, 2020

According to multiple sources closes to the Baylor football program, senior running backs Trestan Ebner and John Lovett have opted out the remainder of the 2020 football season. 

The two seniors had combined for 177 yards on 54 carries and two touchdown to go along with 15 receptions for 225 yards and two touchdowns on the season. Ebner added two kicks for touchdowns in Baylor’s season opener against Kansas. 

The news comes on the heels of Baylor’s 27-16 loss on Saturday to Texas where the co-starters touched the ball a combined 16 times for 85 yards.

Lovett was Baylor’s leading rusher in each of his first three seasons, rushing for 1,795 yards and 17 touchdowns beginning in 2017. Ebner cumulated 844 yards on 164 carries with seven touchdowns and caught 83 passes for 1,047 yards and seven touchdowns over the same span.

Both players were part of Baylor’s 2017 recruiting class. 

Discussion from...

Baylor senior running backs Ebner, Lovett to opt out

35,481 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by historian
HTown_Strong
How long do you want to ignore this user?
???????
Celtic Bear
I understand their frustration
SATXBear
Ominous. Can't blame them either.
Futureman
Query: why?
historian
I wonder if the lack of a rushing game was the play calling was to keep the ball away from them. If so, that could explain a lot.
old bear71
Doesn't seem to be much room for them in Fedora's new drop back passing attack offense. Things don't seem to be going so well under our new and dramatic offense.
Porteroso
Ouch. Says very bad things about the offense, when 2 Baylor vets opt out like this.
OsoViejo
Can't blame with the offensive play calling we have now. Hope they can play next year.
historian
OsoViejo said:

Can't blame with the offensive play calling we have now. Hope they can play next year.
They have another year of eligibility. Everyone does across the country. The question: is will they return? I'm not betting on it but I hope they do.
Robert Wilson
Reminds me of an old Brooks & Dunn song
rhttrip
What about scholarship
DanaDane
So they either are waiting for the draft or can use the 1 year transfer option and immediate eligibility that goes into play next year?
Yogi
I can't say that I blame them. It's a throw away season and someone's going to get hurt playing behind that tinker toy offensive line.

I see them transferring to get to the League.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
DanaDane
So did Galvin and Newman-Johnson opt out too before the game and it wasn't leaked to the media?
Robert Wilson
Yogi said:

I can't say that I blame them. It's a throw away season and someone's going to get hurt playing behind that tinker toy offensive line.

Won't likely be either one of them if we aren't giving them the football. Did you see our rush chart from yesterday?
BUBear24
DanaDane said:

So did Galvin and Newman-Johnson opt out too before the game and it wasn't leaked to the media?

No.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Sad. I miss CAB.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
DanaDane
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Sad. I miss CAB.
I miss his offense.
IowaBear
Only a matter of time before guys like Thornton/Sneed follow Suite. As well as recruits. The offense is pathetic and these 2 got out while they could. Good for them
ImABearToo
Everyday that goes by we realize how really good football was under CAB. The talent level was years beyond anything we have now or will see in our lifetime. Thank you BOR!!!
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
IowaBear
Yogi said:

Neither of those two are sniffing the NFL
Timbear
Maybe this will get Aranda's attention. L and E didn't see this getting any better any time soon.
SIC EM 94
Apparently the trashed apartment issue has not been resolved...I thought it had been.
chorne68
When it starts going down hill it goes down hill fast. Just think...we had 11 wins and went to the Sugar Bowl last year. I wonder if CMR saw this coming.
Saddle Up!
SIC EM 94 said:

Apparently the trashed apartment issue has not been resolved...I thought it had been.

Doesn't their third partner in the Apartment Brothers episode play for CMR now?
Jorkel
IowaBear said:

Yogi said:

Neither of those two are sniffing the NFL

If Hasty can sniff the NFL ..Ebner can sniff the NFL.
BearinRVA
He created a strong program, but he also left Baylor where it is now with less recruiting power which is showing up this season.
Green&GoldStandard
chorne68 said:

When it starts going down hill it goes down hill fast. Just think...we had 11 wins and went to the Sugar Bowl last year. I wonder if CMR saw this coming.

He absolutely saw it coming. He stopped recruiting his final season because he knew he was out the door and heading to the league.
ImwithBU
Well look at this Fedora. Qualan Jones is probably a better back than both of them anyway. Wonder if they are going to focus on pro days. Ebner might get a combine offer, doubt Lovett will
BUBear24
ImwithBU said:

Well look at this Fedora. Qualan Jones is probably a better back than both of them anyway. Wonder if they are going to focus on pro days. Ebner might get a combine offer, doubt Lovett will

Changes in some of their decisions already
Buguy
I worry about the mood in the locker room when things like this happen. Anybody else worried?
SIC EM 94
Buguy said:

I worry about the mood in the locker room when things like this happen. Anybody else worried?

Sure, but at this point it is what it is. Hopefully the team rallies and beats TCU. A win would go a long way in turning things around both mentally and physically.
ImABearToo
Some comfort knowing that for whatever it's worth, we have the same number of losses as sooner and orange cow this year.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
BUbackerinET
Every word out of his mouth the final year was a lie...I'm wondering how Aranda might take this, while I don't blame them, an argument can be made that they are abandoning their team when they need them the most. Fedora will prove to be a disaster...have said this numerous times on various threads since he was hired. He is just not the right guy, period. Only defense of him for the pathetic offensive output has been the horrible OL he has to work with...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.