Football
Sponsored by

Mt Vernon is 7-1

29,544 Views | 380 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TexasScientist
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bear2be2 said:

End of the third quarter. Jim Ned has second-and-10 from the MV 29 when play resumes.
Thanks to Timbear and bear2
bear2be2
Timbear said:

MV held on 4th, but could not move it, so they punted to JN, and it's JN 1st down on their 29.
I thought this would be a good, hard-fought football game. It's been even more competitive than I thought it would be.

I'm pulling for Jim Ned because we cover them, and I'd like to see their coaches get a title shot. But Art's done a great job with that Mount Vernon team.
ImABearToo
Max Preps way behind with scoring updates. Relying on you Timbear ole buddy.
bear2be2
One interesting thing about this game is that both of these teams are really good in close games. Mount Vernon has won four playoff games by a combined 18 points, and Jim Ned has one-score wins over Brock and Hallettsville.
bear2be2
You can watch the finish at the link below. Jim Ned just took a 24-17 lead with 4:34 to play.

https://www.meridix.com/event/177411
Timbear
Art went for it on 4th down on his own 45, but failed. JN drove 45 yards and scored . 24-17 with 4:34 left.
Forest Bueller_bf
MV moving down to the Jim Ned 20 yard line.
Timbear
3rd and 8 on the JN 18.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

Art went for it on 4th down on his own 45, but failed. JN drove 45 yards and scored . 24-17 with 4:34 left.
I didn't get that call. Punt and play defense.
Forest Bueller_bf
bear2be2 said:

Timbear said:

I didn't get that call. Punt and play defense.
Yep
Timbear
On 4th and 8, pass complete down to the 3! 1st down MV!
bear2be2
Mount Vernon fumbles inside the 5. That should do it.
bear2be2
Though Mount Vernon has three timeouts left. So it's not over yet.
ImABearToo
Crap. What a way to end it. Cmon Tigers.
bear2be2
Phenomenal punt by Jim Ned out of their own end zone. Mount Vernon has it around midfield with 1:20 left and no timeouts.
bear2be2
Mount Vernon fumbled again, but the QB got it back.
ImABearToo
Still a chance.
bear2be2
It's third-and 7 from the 18 with 15 seconds left.
bear2be2
This Mount Vernon quarterback is a tough kid.
bear2be2
Jim Ned seals it with a pick. Great game.
Timbear
Tough game. Great season.
ImABearToo
Great season Coach. Now let's standby and see if all the buzz about CAB are true. My guess is he's pretty darn happy in East Texas but who knows.
BUGWBBear
I don't think he'll return with 30 For Sale signs in his front yard...better luck next year, CAB.
Robert Wilson
Feel bad for that kid who fumbled 1st and goal on the 3, running the hurry up with all the momentum. Tough thing about how hs football ends for many, as much as I love it.
RR/BV
Coach Briles Waco Midway holding on line one.....
TexasScientist
CAB's comeback is on track.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Forest Bueller
bear2be2 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Timbear said:

Next up, the Jim Ned Indians, close to Abilene, home of Colt McCoy. In the State semis.
Jim Need played lights out to upset Brock last week. They can flat play.

Jim Ned is really good this year. In addition to the win over former Class 3A No.1 Brock, they have beaten fellow Class 3A DI state semifinalist Hallettsville, Class 3A DII state quarterfinalist Eastland, Class 2A DI state quarterfinalist Cisco and traditional Class 3A toughies Wall and Pilot Point.
Shiner beat Hallettsville even worse than Jim Ned did. As much as I love Mart I think Shiner is the best sub 4A team in the state, big, talented, lots of speed at the skill position, and a bonus of a 275 RB, who is a UH commit at DL.

That said Mart vs Shiner is the game I want to see, and unlike the good ole days, it can't happen.

By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
bear2be2
Forest Bueller said:

bear2be2 said:

Forest Bueller said:

Timbear said:

Next up, the Jim Ned Indians, close to Abilene, home of Colt McCoy. In the State semis.
Jim Need played lights out to upset Brock last week. They can flat play.

Jim Ned is really good this year. In addition to the win over former Class 3A No.1 Brock, they have beaten fellow Class 3A DI state semifinalist Hallettsville, Class 3A DII state quarterfinalist Eastland, Class 2A DI state quarterfinalist Cisco and traditional Class 3A toughies Wall and Pilot Point.
Shiner beat Hallettsville even worse than Jim Ned did. As much as I love Mart I think Shiner is the best sub 4A team in the state, big, talented, lots of speed at the skill position, and a bonus of a 275 RB, who is a UH commit at DL.

That said Mart vs Shiner is the game I want to see, and unlike the good ole days, it can't happen.
Jim Ned plays a style that keeps games relatively close. But that's a team with very few weaknesses. And there are few small-school teams in the state with a better body of work. Before they upset Brock, I thought that Brock team was a shoo-in for the state title game. But there was nothing fluky about that win. They just executed their game plan.

As for Shiner, beware of this Post team. That's the best small-school defense I've ever seen in person. Their offense isn't overwhelming and relies on wearing its opponents down with the run game, but that defense is something else.
Robert Wilson
Inordinate number of really good 2A teams this year.

Shiner, Post, and Mart are win it all teams in lots of years. Crawford was one mistake from taking Post to the wire. Refugio played Shiner well.
william
CAB building a great program.

Yet again.

- KKM
Fetterman2024
bear2be2
Art just resigned after two years at Mount Vernon. Something is afoot.
TexasScientist
bear2be2 said:

Art just resigned after two years at Mount Vernon. Something is afoot.
All right, all right, all right.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.