Football
Sponsored by

Give ISU credit today

3,414 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pecos 45
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
True. I meant to say probably. But if it's not them, then the committee will likely find another blue blood: the SEC runner up maybe. The only way the Big 12 will get a team in the playoffs is if the winner on December 19 has only 1 loss. Since OU is likely to win again (alas), that means a 2 loss Big 12 Champion. The committee might give them a mulligan because of COVID but I expect them to look at a 1 loss team somewhere. Heck, the could even give it to the Aggies, although they won't deserve it.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
historian said:

True. I meant to say probably. But if it's not them, then the committee will likely find another blue blood: the SEC runner up maybe. The only way the Big 12 will get a team in the playoffs is if the winner on December 19 has only 1 loss. Since OU is likely to win again (alas), that means a 2 loss Big 12 Champion. The committee might give them a mulligan because of COVID but I expect them to look at a 1 loss team somewhere. Heck, the could even give it to the Aggies, although they won't deserve it.

I don't think the committee will or should put a two-loss Big 12 team in. But I think an undefeated Cincinnati team deserves consideration over two-loss champions and one-loss non-champions. The American is a solid conference and Cincy is damn good this year. BYU deserves far more credit than they're getting right now, too. That's a good team.
historian
I agree. Or even BYU if they remain undefeated. But the committee does not think that way. It was not long ago when they had 2 SEC teams in although Bama did not deserve it.
bear2be2
historian said:

I agree. Or even BYU if they remain undefeated. But the committee does not think that way. It was not long ago when they had 2 SEC teams in although Bama did not deserve it.

You're right, obviously. I hate this "playoff" and its subjective criteria. Half the reason I'm pulling for an outsider is that would be the catalyst needed to get us to eight teams, which takes a lot of the stupid drama out of this silly process.
historian
We can only hope and dream.
Dia del DougO
**** cloneaggy.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Pecos 45
bear2be2 said:

You're right, obviously. I hate this "playoff" and its subjective criteria. Half the reason I'm pulling for an outsider is that would be the catalyst needed to get us to eight teams, which takes a lot of the stupid drama out of this silly process.
True.
When they put Condeleeza Rice on the committee many years ago I knew it was a beauty pageant. She had no business selecting the teams for a college football playoff because she never coached, or played the game. I never understood why she was selected for the committee, unless it was politics.
The championship should be decided on the field, not by politics, but as long as we have only four teams getting in, and five power conferences, it's all politics IMHO.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
RegentCoverup
Pecos 45 said:

bear2be2 said:

True.
When they put Condeleeza Rice on the committee many years ago I knew it was a beauty pageant. She had no business selecting the teams for a college football playoff because she never coached, or played the game. I never understood why she was selected for the committee, unless it was politics.
Plus, you didn't vote for Condi Rice, right?

I kid. Remember, a lot of the college athletics landscape was decided by Hodding Carter, who held about the same credibility as Rice did, from another political party.

But I agree, it's political as hell, but the majority of college campuses are tax funded, government owned. It will never escape the idea that's it's a pawn of the big government crowd. And the corruption is in the rules and oversight itself.

The game is f'd, to be blunt. It's a scheme where the larger powers have the abilty to price out competition and rig TV viewership in their favor, becuse presumably, that is what the TV networks prefer.

It will not survive in the long run, because the market really wants pure competition and the market doesn't favor the Big State universities.

The net result is that it's weakened the NCAA almost beyond repair.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Pecos 45
It doesn't matter what your political affiliation is, people who never played, or coached, the game at any level shouldn't be deciding on who gets into the playoff, period.

It would be like letting me judge ice dancing at the Olympics.
I've only ice skated once (at Fair Park Coliseum) and I'm not gay.

Time to move on from this antiquated system.
Malcolm Forbes
Big guy
It is hard to beat Texas' 4-3-4-8 defense,but ISU somehow managed.
Wichitabear
Michibear said:

I don't mind ISU. Just don't like their fans. And their coach. Their AD. Their players. Their basketball team. Their stupid state.

Other than that, I think they're swell.

Ditto!
Pecos 45
I have a cousin from Iowa, so I cannot diss the entire state.

Plus my dad did part of his Masters studies at ISU, so again, hard to throw them under the bus.
It's all relative, as they say.
Malcolm Forbes
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.