Football
Sponsored by

Baylor coach Dave Aranda will never experience another year like 2020, and it's a goo

1,626 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chorne68
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Hob Howelll
I hope we fans never experience Baylor football like in 2020 again
Baylor University class of 2014
Ewalker80
It's been much worse before. My four years at baylor we won 2 big 12 games total. Both against Kansas. Got run off the field almost every week in the first half. We have been in every single game this year despite all the challenges. There's no reason to be so negative about this team or coaching staff. They are good coaches and good people from everything we know. Charlie would literally cripple himself to help the team and just might have life long consequences for putting his body on the line the last four years.
RedBear05
Still nowhere near as bad as the 99-02 seasons. Those games were over before the end of the first quarter.
This year has been frustrating when compared to the success of the Briles years and last year, but this team has still played within a score (almost) of everyone and took the current top-team in the league to the wire. Not saying this team is good, far from it, but it certainly isn't the low water mark either.
Timbear
I get so tired of hearing how much pain and agony Charlie has suffered and is willing to suffer for Baylor. A good QB does not have to do that to win. Why do we fall all over ourselves because a guy is stupid enough to play totally concussed? Play the other QB's, too. Charlie's reflex move is to lower his head and try to run through 11 guys. How about playing smarter and throwing the ball to receivers so they can make a play or throw it away instead of taking big hits. There's no glory in going out there and getting killed except at Baylor. I'm glad that he had a very good half of football, but he's had one good half of play in 6 games. We have better athletes and QB talent that can be developed on the bench. It's great we won, really great, and CB is a great guy. I hope we can win again this year.
Thee University
Timbear said:

I get so tired of hearing how much pain and agony Charlie has suffered and is willing to suffer for Baylor. A good QB does not have to do that to win. Why do we fall all over ourselves because a guy is stupid enough to play totally concussed? Play the other QB's, too. Charlie's reflex move is to lower his head and try to run through 11 guys. How about playing smarter and throwing the ball to receivers so they can make a play or throw it away instead of taking big hits. There's no glory in going out there and getting killed except at Baylor. I'm glad that he had a very good half of football, but he's had one good half of play in 6 games. We have better athletes and QB talent that can be developed on the bench. It's great we won, really great, and CB is a great guy. I hope we can win again this year.
A few things have become more & more apparent as the year has progressed for Timmy:

1. You've never played football at a high level. Baylor flag football does not count.
2. You've not played any TEAM sports before. Chess Club does not count.
3. You have no concept on competing and paying a price for winning. Spoon fed were you?
4. Explain to me the injuries sustained by RG3, Seth and others. They were not good QBs?
5. Charlie is not totally concussed or he would not be allowed on the field. BU is on eggshells right now due to all of the "issues" we've had that garnered national negative press.
6. I can guarantee you that Aranda would play the other QBs if they were ready. He's not going to put them on the field if they don't know the offense, can't read a defense or take horrible risks that turn the ball over. I can guarantee you if the other QBs gave us a better chance to win they would be out there.
7. Competitive QBs take big hits. Ask our QBs over the past 10 years.
8. Charlie is only as good as the TEAM allows him to be. We have some weak links out there and they break down more this year than last season hence the hits and what you consider a bad half. Are those bad halves 100% Charlie's fault. Hell no!
9. You are not worthy of calling Charlie a great guy after all of the BS you've spewed this year.
10. I'm not sure you want Baylor to win another game this season and you are probably bummed we won Saturday. It harms your season long narrative.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Bear8084
Thee University said:

Timbear said:

A few things have become more & more apparent as the year has progressed for Timmy:

1. You've never played football at a high level. Baylor flag football does not count.
2. You've not played any TEAM sports before. Chess Club does not count.
3. You have no concept on competing and paying a price for winning. Spoon fed were you?
4. Explain to me the injuries sustained by RG3, Seth and others. They were not good QBs?
5. Charlie is not totally concussed or he would not be allowed on the field. BU is on eggshells right now due to all of the "issues" we've had that garnered national negative press.
6. I can guarantee you that Aranda would play the other QBs if they were ready. He's not going to put them on the field if they don't know the offense, can't read a defense or take horrible risks that turn the ball over. I can guarantee you if the other QBs gave us a better chance to win they would be out there.
7. Competitive QBs take big hits. Ask our QBs over the past 10 years.
8. Charlie is only as good as the TEAM allows him to be. We have some weak links out there and they break down more this year than last season hence the hits and what you consider a bad half. Are those bad halves 100% Charlie's fault. Hell no!
9. You are not worthy of calling Charlie a great guy after all of the BS you've spewed this year.
10. I'm not sure you want Baylor to win another game this season and you are probably bummed we won Saturday. It harms your season long narrative.

*slow clap* Thanks Thee for this. It is spot on. Just utterly ridiculous to be complaining about a QB being "too tough" and "too gutsy". And a pretty good QB at that no matter what the naysayers have said all season. Luckily they are in the minority and go quiet after a win like that. And yes, he is a good QB with school stats and records to prove it.
ilbb990912
With the over abundance of hits Charlie brewer has taken over the last 4 seasons, it's amazing to me that he hasn't folded his tent a long time ago. He is an hombre in my book ....
bear2be2
ilbb990912 said:

With the over abundance of hits Charlie brewer has taken over the last 4 seasons, it's amazing to me that he hasn't folded his tent a long time ago. He is an hombre in my book ....
Dude's answered the bell 42 times in four years playing behind some of the shakiest offensive lines in the Big 12. Lesser players/men would have been broken under the same circumstances. He deserves better treatment than he has gotten from many of our fans.
SIC EM 94
Amen and spot on with regards to "Broken Record" Timbear! I'm assuming he is some millennial who thinks he knows better than the coaching staff, is personally up to speed on Charlie's medical history and current condition, and is a talent scout who has determined which quarterback has the best grasp of the new offense and gives Baylor the best chance to win. Timbear really should offer his services to Coach Aranda, we would all be so lucky if he would do so.
historian
Timbear said:

I'm glad that he had a very good half of football, but he's had one good half of play in 6 games.
That is just not true. He had two good halves against Kansas. Yes, I know it's Kansas but in the first game of the season your statement is false. Far more important, Charlie had a very good first half in Ames and a pretty good one in Lubbock. Unfortunately, the team could not maintain that and finish strong in either game. That's not Charlie's fault. By my count, that's at least 5 good halves out of 14. All things considered, that's not too bad--especially in 2020.

Whatever problems the team has (& there are many), Charlie's issues are not at the top of that list. He is probably the toughest player on the team and has earned the respect of his teammates & the coaches, as repeatedly reported the past few weeks.
Jorkel
historian said:

Timbear said:

I'm glad that he had a very good half of football, but he's had one good half of play in 6 games.
That is just not true. He had two good halves against Kansas. Yes, I know it's Kansas but in the first game of the season your statement is false. Far more important, Charlie had a very good first half in Ames and a pretty good one in Lubbock. Unfortunately, the team could not maintain that and finish strong in either game. That's not Charlie's fault. By my count, that's at least 5 good halves out of 14. All things considered, that's not too bad--especially in 2020.

Whatever problems the team has (& there are many), Charlie's issues are not at the top of that list. He is probably the toughest player on the team and has earned the respect of his teammates & the coaches, as repeatedly reported the past few weeks.

5 good halves out of 14 is not good. Granted not all Charlie's fault so we can go ahead and include the whole offense as a whole from coaches to players. I don't care how tough a player is..if we don't win it doesn't matter. Winning is the only thing that matters.
historian
I did say "all things considered." That includes a brand new coaching staff, no Spring training, coaches getting to know the players through Zoom over the summer, limited Fall practice, 4 games cancelled, no non-conference games, a global pandemic with several players under quarantine at different times, a stretch in the middle of the season during which the team practiced only a 4 over 3 weeks. I am unsure of the numbers, but it was a huge disadvantage for the team.

The year is a mulligan. We have to accept this and look forward to better things next year. In the mean time:

Sic OU & Sic OSU!
RegentCoverup
Ewalker80 said:

It's been much worse before. My four years at baylor we won 2 big 12 games total. Both against Kansas. Got run off the field almost every week in the first half. We have been in every single game this year despite all the challenges. There's no reason to be so negative about this team or coaching staff. They are good coaches and good people from everything we know. Charlie would literally cripple himself to help the team and just might have life long consequences for putting his body on the line the last four years.
I have as much respect for you guys and the guys that didn't quit as I do the guys that won Big 12 titles.

And it's sweet vindication to see many of the players from that era become successes in life,
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
br53
I wish 2020 would have given us one good half. We barely had a good quarter. Damn COVID
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
chorne68
Timbear said:

I have nothing good to say about this guy and his post. I was brought up to say nothing if it was not good so I will say nothing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.