Football
Sponsored by

What were our 2nd half adjustments??

1,287 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bear2be2
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For the football scholars:

Obviously the Bears made adjustments for the second half against K-State, and it wasn't just a team that showed fire that it didn't have in the first half.

An O-line doesn't give up 7 sacks and oodles of tackles for loss in one half, then avoid those after halftime simply by changing attitude.

Scheme? Play-calling? Learning the opponents' keys?

I'm sure lots of us would appreciate some analysis.

Space53
No RPO's ,get rid of the ball as soon as a receiver or running back turns around. Our skill position players are better than most teams, let's use them.
cowach
It quit raining
Midnight Rider
My view from the couch was that Charlie was getting rid of the ball quicker before KSU could sack him.
Stefano DiMera
A lot of Charlie rolling in a moving pocket..throwing on the run..you know..doing things hes good at..its freaking like Fedora took this job and never looked at game film from last 2 years...

On a related note..Mike McCarthy admitted he lied in his interview when he said he watched every game of the Cowboys last year while exiled in his football barn last year...i think Fedora did same..
bear2be2
Stefano DiMera said:

A lot of Charlie rolling in a moving pocket..throwing on the run..you know..doing things hes good at..its freaking like Fedora took this job and never looked at game film from last 2 years...

On a related note..Mike McCarthy admitted he lied in his interview when he said he watched every game of the Cowboys last year while exiled in his football barn last year...i think Fedora did same..
I think part of it with Fedora is just the stubborn football coach mentality. He has a vision for what he wants his offense to look like and the concepts he wants to run and he's trying to shove a square peg through a round hole in the first half of every game. Then after halftime, when we're down by two or three scores, he adjusts and let's Charlie play Charlie ball.

I understand wanting to run your system, but you have to coach the team you have and not the team you wish you had. There's a balance to be struck between installing your system and putting your players in a position to succeed. If the players you have are incapable of running your system, I don't think you do them any favors by allowing them to fail over and over and over again.

Hopefully Saturday's win will mark a shift in this regard. I'm all for Fedora guiding this team toward the offense he wants to run. But if your guys can't do it, you've got to meet them halfway until you can either develop or bring in players who are better suited for your system.
Stefano DiMera
Yeah i know he has an idea of what kind of QB he wants to run his offense. Im just real disappointed we havent seen the other QBs
bear2be2
Stefano DiMera said:

Yeah i know he has an idea of what kind of QB he wants to run his offense. Im just real disappointed we havent seen the other QBs
I think there's probably a pretty good reason we haven't. Coaches don't stay coaches long by playing the lesser option at any position. And say what you want about Charlie, but everything he's accomplished at Baylor has happened despite borderline dreadful line play. The guy knows how to operate under duress. Throw a freshman or sophomore into those same situations and you might find that Charlie's pretty damn good after all.

Dallas Cowboys fans didn't fully appreciate Tony Romo or Dax Prescott until they were gone and they got to see just how many deficiencies those two were covering up week after week, year after year.
JP1037
His adjustment was throwing the ball quickly and spreading the field. Line stepped up too. We started going uptempo as well. The pound the rock up the middle and drop back 5 steps offense is not going to work with our line at least until we have the defense spread out a little. Not sure why this is so hard to figure out for our coaching staff.

Charlie also all of a sudden got very accurate and decisive. He hasn't had that all year. Happy for him and the team.
BearFan33
good comments. Charlie isn't at his best as a drop back passer.
BU82EX
I think the biggest adjustment in the 2nd half was that, for the most part, we played up tempo. The call came in from the sideline and that is the play they ran. They didn't get to the line, see the defense, then look back to the sideline to get another play call and snap with 1 sec on the play clock. They got to the line and snapped the ball. Part might have been due to the game script (down by at least 2 possessions), but in reality Charlie Brewer is an up tempo QB who thrives on quick hitters. If he has to sit there and study 4 reads he ends up eating the football.
bear2be2
BU82EX said:

I think the biggest adjustment in the 2nd half was that, for the most part, we played up tempo. The call came in from the sideline and that is the play they ran. They didn't get to the line, see the defense, then look back to the sideline to get another play call and snap with 1 sec on the play clock. They got to the line and snapped the ball. Part might have been due to the game script (down by at least 2 possessions), but in reality Charlie Brewer is an up tempo QB who thrives on quick hitters. If he has to sit there and study 4 reads he ends up eating the football.
Charlie doesn't have time behind this line to sit there and make four reads. He's in escape mode by the time he finishes his drop on many plays. It's hard to keep your eyes downfield and go through your progressions when you're trying to evade a defender. That's why it makes way more sense to use Charlie as a one/two read and run quarterback irrespective of his ability to read a defense. That's all we really have time to execute behind this line.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.