Football
Sponsored by

Sark off to great start at UT

5,496 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RegentCoverup
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thee University said:

Are you from Yankee stock or at least north of the Mason-Dixon?
I'm from Texas. Born in South Dakota because my Dad was in the Air Force (22 years) and they sent him there. But the family always considered Texas home (Dad born in Texas, Mom born in Virginia & raised in South Carolina).

I'm not sure how any of that matters in making an historical evaluation over someone who died more than a century ago. I know historians, like everyone else, have biases and often they are apparent but regionalism does not influence me on American history.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
vanillabryce
Basically it's a made up controversy stirred up by attention starved losers, preying on the ignorance of talented athletes to further their ideological agenda and propagate their position.

F'ing losers. There are broken things in our society. That song isn't one of them.
Thee University
historian said:

Thee University said:

Are you from Yankee stock or at least north of the Mason-Dixon?
I'm from Texas. Born in South Dakota because my Dad was in the Air Force (22 years) and they sent him there. But the family always considered Texas home (Dad born in Texas, Mom born in Virginia & raised in South Carolina).

I'm not sure how any of that matters in making an historical evaluation over someone who died more than a century ago. I know historians, like everyone else, have biases and often they are apparent but regionalism does not influence me on American history.
It is your great and great great grand parents that i was referring to.

Example: I have at least 49 confederate veterans in my family and 1 union soldier identified so far. I'm equally proud of ALL 50 of my veterans.

Yours and you father's birth state does not really matter to my question.. I was wondering how anyone who only had 1 confederate veteran in your tree could have forefathers born and raised in the South. I'm guessing you do not have very many if you only have 1 Confederate veteran.

The victors write the history that the teachers and professors are most likely going to teach out of Yankee textbooks.

Robert E. Lee was one of the greatest if not the greatest West Point ever produced.
historian
To me, my immediate family is more important than people I have never met and have been dead for decades (or centuries). To the extent that I know, my family's roots are Texas, South Carolina, Virginia, & Alabama. Last time I checked, all are south of the Mason Dixon line. But I'm a Texan and that's all that matters to me.

I have one Confederate veteran ancestor that I can think of off the top of my head (mainly because he has a colorful story) & I know of one Union soldier in my background. I don't know how many of the others fought in the war or for whom--and I don't really care.

However, I am a historian and I don't think textbooks are divided by Confederate/Yankee anymore. I also don't think many historians (including those I had at Baylor who studied at places like UNC & Emory) differ much on the major issues of the Civil War. The scholarly debates tend to be more over details & nuances, not partisanship.
br53
Well this is a productive conversation
Thee University
historian said:

To me, my immediate family is more important than people I have never met and have been dead for decades (or centuries). To the extent that I know, my family's roots are Texas, South Carolina, Virginia, & Alabama. Last time I checked, all are south of the Mason Dixon line. But I'm a Texan and that's all that matters to me.

I have one Confederate veteran ancestor that I can think of off the top of my head (mainly because he has a colorful story) & I know of one Union soldier in my background. I don't know how many of the others fought in the war or for whom--and I don't really care.

However, I am a historian and I don't think textbooks are divided by Confederate/Yankee anymore. I also don't think many historians (including those I had at Baylor who studied at places like UNC & Emory) differ much on the major issues of the Civil War. The scholarly debates tend to be more over details & nuances, not partisanship.
Fair enough. Are you afraid of what you might find if you did the research?

You are the first person I've ever heard who said they don't care about their ancestors and the tough decisions they had to make during the Civil War.
historian
Thee University said:

historian said:

You are the first person I've ever heard who said they don't care about their ancestors and the tough decisions they had to make during the Civil War.
There are other things more recent that I care more about. It's not so much that I don't care about things related to the Civil War, it's that I'm not overly concerned about my genealogy. For me it's a curiosity, nothing more.
Thee University
historian said:

Thee University said:

historian said:

There are other things more recent that I care more about. It's not so much that I don't care about things related to the Civil War, it's that I'm not overly concerned about my genealogy. For me it's a curiosity, nothing more.
Soooooooooooooooooo, are you inferring that every single American living today who had ancestors that had slaves are 100% absolved and free & clear of potential "curiosities"?
historian
I implied no such thing. However, it is absurd to blame anyone today for something their ancestors may have done 155 or more years ago. That would be a gross injustice.

My statements about my family's past are my own personal preferences.
LIB,MR BEARS
canoso said:

BayouCity said:

vanillabryce said:

What is the racist history of the song cited by the article?

There is also a claim that Robert E. Lee used to tell his W&L students that "The eyes of the south are upon you" as a challenge to do great things. However, since Robert E. Lee said it, it must therefore be hate filled.
My sense of Robert E. Lee from having read extensively on him is that one would have to look far and wide to find even a handful of other American historical figures that were as magnanimous, honorable and conscientious as he was.
few opinions are formed by "having read extensively". Most are formed by out-of-context quotes or outright lies.
OldBurlyBear86
Good Lord you bunch of teeny hat losers.

The minstrel song that you ladies are fussing about is " Ive been working on the Railroad, all the live long day" That song is a parody and from what I have heard is that is was not done in black face. However, I have been in Austin for 57 years.

Baylor3216
It appears most of this is Mel Brooks fault
Green&GoldStandard
Baylor3216 said:

It appears most of this is Mel Brooks fault
historian
I had to think about that one for a moment!

I bet some of the younger fans have not seen that movie.
RegentCoverup
historian said:

I implied no such thing. However, it is absurd to blame anyone today for something their ancestors may have done 155 or more years ago. That would be a gross injustice.

My statements about my family's past are my own personal preferences.
I'm sorry your Dad was sent to a base in the Dakotas, I heard it was colder than...(insert potentially offensive analogy)
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
historian
He was transferred to southern California when I was 4 but we moved home to Texas as soon as we could.
RegentCoverup
historian said:

He was transferred to southern California when I was 4 but we moved home to Texas as soon as we could.
Baylor roommate was the son of an AF base commander. He'd make you salute and not give a F. Three(four?) tours in Vietnam. Had I grasped the sheer greatness of military benefits and my own poverty, I'd have signed right up, reality is the AF stomped the Iraqi's so bad, they were turning down people at ab a 10 to 1 ratio afterward.

I just laugh bc people forget that in any branch of the service, there are places you just don't wanna go.....
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.