Football
Sponsored by

Sark off to great start at UT

5,426 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RegentCoverup
KajunKarlsdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fully supports "The Eyes of Texas", this will go over well in the locker room.

Sark on Eyes
Big_Pumpin
I think he also said it won't take long to win. That's dumb to say out loud.
PartyBear
Looks to me like he is trying to say things he thinks will be popular in the state of Texas like he is running for state wide office or something. He also said something about wanting to play A&M again. He is coming in with some SEC bias perhaps from his Bama time. A&M is not the flagship in Texas, Sark you are the HC at the flagship. The SEC doesnt change any of that. He probably should have avoided both questions and joked around about how it is his first day on the UT campus yada yada. His job is to win football games yada yada.
br53
PartyBear said:

Looks to me like he is trying to say things he thinks will be popular in the state of Texas like he is running for state wide office or something. He also said something about wanting to play A&M again. He is coming in with some SEC bias perhaps from his Bama time. A&M is not the flagship in Texas, Sark you are the HC at the flagship. The SEC doesnt change any of that. He probably should have avoided both questions and joked around about how it is his first day on the UT campus yada yada. His job is to win football games yada yada.
It was just the booze talking
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
BellCountyBear
He's just saying what the BMDs want to hear.
fadskier
Saying the the Eyes of Texas is racist is stupid and the epitome of playing the victim...was it racist in the minstrels shows? I don't know, I wasn't there...none of us were. We can't apply today's standard to history.

Get over it and move on.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Michibear
I honestly don't know if this was a misstep or not. If they win, I can imagine the song becoming a non-issue.

I can also imagine the song being the thing that prevents them from winning.

Time will tell. The eyes of Texas will be upon Sark to see what he delivers.

dstaylor57
The guy walks into the most liberal college campus in the south and says screw political correctness, bring back tradition. Gonna be interesting.
BUletters
Seems to be a sign that the major donors have reclaimed control and the new coach felt safe in drawing a line in the sand. Good for him in not wimping out.
Aliceinbubbleland
BellCountyBear said:

Actually he is saying what he was told to say by the UT AD Del Conte and this will probably come back to bite them in the ass.

It was the lack of respect for The Eyes that helped seal the deal to get rid of Herman. The BMD's told Del Conte they were sick of his BS and they would write a check to someone who respected The Eyes.

The issue isn't dead because UT is full of SJW's and they will not be silenced.

They will be able to recruit kids who love The Eyes but they still have to deal with the deadbeats still creating dissent on the team.
Thee University
BUletters said:

Seems to be a sign that the major donors have reclaimed control and the new coach felt safe in drawing a line in the sand. Good for him in not wimping out.
The new Mack Brown is being "coached" by the $$$$$ alumni.

This will be fun to watch play out. Can you imagine drunk alumni approaching the coach at an off season get-together trying to get him to have a few drinks, putting their arms around him, snuggling up with bourbon breath?

We need to plant a few "seeds" into select high schools concerning the rampant racism going on at 40 acres. Why not? They threw gas on our Briles Dumpster.
ilbb990912
who would let their son to go to that SJW cesspool?
Baylor3216
Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

Actually he is saying what he was told to say by the UT AD Del Conte and this will probably come back to bite them in the ass.

It was the lack of respect for The Eyes that helped seal the deal to get rid of Herman. The BMD's told Del Conte they were sick of his BS and they would write a check to someone who respected The Eyes.

They will be able to recruit kids who love The Eyes but they still have to deal with the deadbeats still creating dissent on the team.

He could have done that under AO but now that code Blue is at the helm, she gonna be takin it up a notch

What a PR catastrophe.
historian
PartyBear said:

In a way, he is running for a statewide office: fan support for the largest fan base in the state.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
EvilTroyAndAbed
Is he gonna make the team sing it?
KajunKarlsdad
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Is he gonna make the team sing it?
He said they would sing it loud and proud.
PartyBear
He announced choir practice is on Tuesdays.
br53
Good they can now add their version of "Sing" to the LHN.
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Robert Wilson
Interesting. Maybe he's not scared of third tier sports journalists.
vanillabryce
What is the racist history of the song cited by the article?

tombeaux
Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

The group of "...kids who love The Eyes" can't play as well as the group that hates it. He just locked himself out of the living rooms of a ton of good players.
Robert Wilson
tombeaux said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

The group of "...kids who love The Eyes" can't play as well as the group that hates it. He just locked himself out of the living rooms of a ton of good players.
Eh ... kids want to play for UT and for an exciting offense. Plenty will come to UT. If he makes it known ahead of time that the whole "song is racist" thing is off the table, then the kids coming in the door won't give him that problem. My guess is Del Conte and BMDs are trying to head off the problem at the pass.
9b1deb4d-3b7d-4bad-9bdd-2
There is absolutely no way Sark will survive this statement. Their are whole organizations at UT dedicated to make the lives miserable of anyone that falls outside their woke think
historian
vanillabryce said:

Supposedly it was sung in minstrel shows by whites in blackface--or some such thing. It's a bit of a stretch to say the song is racist even if it was used that way at some time
Quote:

There is absolutely no way Sark will survive this statement. Their are whole organizations at UT dedicated to make the lives miserable of anyone that falls outside their woke think
That's true for much of American society and it's getting worse.

RegentCoverup
ilbb990912 said:

who would let their son to go to that SJW cesspool?

UT is the definition of corruption in higher education.

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
RegentCoverup
historian said:

vanillabryce said:

Supposedly it was sung in minstrel shows by whites in blackface--or some such thing. It's a bit of a stretch to say the song is racist even if it was used that way at some time
Quote:

That's true for much of American society and it's getting worse.

This. There is no way this ends without conflict. The faster we accept that and stack a few bodies, the faster this is resolved.
RegentCoverup
tombeaux said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

BellCountyBear said:

Solution:

They'll change the lyrics oh so slightly to say, "The Eyes of Texas and a BONG for you," And voila!

They'll quit complaining.
Golden Helmet
Let?

These kids are 18.....they, with input and guidance should call their shot.
HarryMehre
vanillabryce said:

There is none. Made up junk from the America New "History" group of 2020.
BayouCity
vanillabryce said:

There is also a claim that Robert E. Lee used to tell his W&L students that "The eyes of the south are upon you" as a challenge to do great things. However, since Robert E. Lee said it, it must therefore be hate filled.
historian
Unfortunately, that kind of thinking is common.
canoso
BayouCity said:

vanillabryce said:

There is also a claim that Robert E. Lee used to tell his W&L students that "The eyes of the south are upon you" as a challenge to do great things. However, since Robert E. Lee said it, it must therefore be hate filled.
My sense of Robert E. Lee from having read extensively on him is that one would have to look far and wide to find even a handful of other American historical figures that were as magnanimous, honorable and conscientious as he was.
historian
canoso said:

BayouCity said:

vanillabryce said:

My sense of Robert E. Lee from having read extensively on him is that one would have to look far and wide to find even a handful of other American historical figures that were as magnanimous, honorable and conscientious as he was.
You probably know more about Robert E. Lee than I do, but from what I know that is correct. I compare him to George Washington in terms of leadership ability, character, and to some degree also personality. They are both among the greatest leaders in American history. Unfortunately, Lee was also guilty of treason, as defined by the Constitution but so was everyone else who fought on behalf of the Confederacy including at least one of my ancestors.
Thee University
historian said:

canoso said:

BayouCity said:

vanillabryce said:

You probably know more about Robert E. Lee than I do, but from what I know that is correct. I compare him to George Washington in terms of leadership ability, character, and to some degree also personality. They are both among the greatest leaders in American history. Unfortunately, Lee was also guilty of treason, as defined by the Constitution but so was everyone else who fought on behalf of the Confederacy including at least one of my ancestors.
Only 1?

Are you from Yankee stock or at least north of the Mason-Dixon?
BayouCity
Thee University said:

historian said:

canoso said:

BayouCity said:

vanillabryce said:

Only 1?

Are you from Yankee stock or at least north of the Mason-Dixon?

Interesting comparison as Lee married Washington's great granddaughter. To this day I believe Lee is the only cadet to make it out of West Point without a single demerit. I don't care what side you root for, that's an unbelievable display of discipline.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.