Football
Sponsored by

Baylor QB Situation?

10,339 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by StatMan
BaylorFan1234321
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Right now I would guess that Jacob Zeno is the starter for 2020-2021, but who will be behind him? If Bohannon transfers, would that make Shapen the second string? I've heard some really good things about Shapen and would love to see him on the field at some point. Other than that, do we have any other QB's that could maybe see the field? I know we have Drones, but I doubt he will see the field and we'll redshirt him.
PartyBear
I thought the new OC shockingly said something about looking for a QB in the portal as well.
DanaDane
3216 -- Don't go to sleep on Shapen. He fits the type of QB mold Grimes likes and quite a few around the football program like. A lot of people mistakenly think it's a Zeno/Bohanon battle. They're gonna be in for a surprise. Although, I'm not gonna be shocked when we end up with a grad transfer as the starting QB.
guadalupeoso
DanaDane said:

3216 -- Don't go to sleep on Shapen. He fits the type of QB mold Grimes likes and quite a few around the football program like. A lot of people mistakenly think it's a Zeno/Bohanon battle. They're gonna be in for a surprise. Although, I'm not gonna be shocked when we end up with a grad transfer as the starting QB.
Just reading the tea leaves based on what Grimes has said, this is kind of what i'm betting on as well.
BUBear24
PartyBear said:

I thought the new OC shockingly said something about looking for a QB in the portal as well.

No he said we're always looking to upgrade. That doesn't mean just go get a QB but if someone you can't just pass up enters they would take a chance.

Think you'll have a legit QB competition unlike last year so I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the 3 be trotted out. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
PartyBear
Is there a QB that cant be passed up who is in the portal?
IowaBear
PartyBear said:

No, portal is weak on QBs
Michibear
PartyBear said:

Portal has too many QBs that can't pass up, and that's the problem.
Ewalker80
BaylorFan1234321 said:

Right now I would guess that Jacob Zeno is the starter for 2020-2021, but who will be behind him? If Bohannon transfers, would that make Shapen the second string? I've heard some really good things about Shapen and would love to see him on the field at some point. Other than that, do we have any other QB's that could maybe see the field? I know we have Drones, but I doubt he will see the field and we'll redshirt him.

I don't understand why everyone seems to assume bohanon will transfer. He beat out Zeno the last two off seasons and is the highest rated recruit on our roster except ika. Aranda mentioned him First in his interview today when discussing the stable of running backs. He was injured in big 12 championship game. Zeno might be more advanced as a passer but he is more so as a runner. Don't count him out.
historian
We are going to miss Charlie this Fall. That said, I look forward to seeing Bohanon, Zeno, & whomever else we get. They will be the future of Baylor football for a few years.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Courtesy_Flush
Being a highly rated recruit doesn't exactly mean you are a great college player....
BUBear24
Courtesy_Flush said:

Being a highly rated recruit doesn't exactly mean you are a great college player....

Nor does 2 throws in a game most people point to..

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think people continually forget Gerry was on one ankle for the Big12 champ game, so people using that as a barometer for Zeno and Gerry is not fair at all, nor the fact Gerry when he's in has been mostly just running run plays by design runs or just waiting for Charlie to get back in.
BaylorRocks
I just want to again see an offense that looks like it belongs on the field with other BigXII teams. Whichever QB can provide that, then Sic'em Bears!

Sic'em
Dia del DougO
If there is a talented QB that could transfer in and compete for a starting job there's no reason to not get him. Baylor could use a guy with a lot more experience that the current QBs never got. Either way, it will be best man wins the job, whoever it may be. It's nobody's turn. It's time to kick some ass.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
BUbackerinET
Maybe I'm the Lone Ranger here, but I think a GT with all the talent we have at that spot would be a HUGE mistake. I fear we would lose a lot of depth to the portal.
boognish_bear
Timbear
The 2nd coming of Seth Russell maybe.
BUBear1994DFW
Alan Bowman?
Ewalker80
What's interesting is that the four quarterbacks seem to have very different skill sets. Gerry is the biggest and toughest to bring down. Also has a big arm but it's unproven if he can be accurate and make good decisions. Jacob has a huge arm and exudes confidence. Drones is kind of a mix of those two. He is a strong runner with a strong arm and very confident but not as polished as Zeno and not as big as Gerry. Shapen is a fluid athlete that is elusive and with a pretty good arm but not that tall or big. Shapen has kind of a Florence vibe to me but with maybe a little stronger arm and a little more speed. Will be very interesting to see how the depth chart emerges but I suspect we see several of these guys during the season because it is very difficult to see how these differenr skill sets will work best until live games.
historian
I hope we do see all of them during games, regardless who emerges as starter. As the last few years have taught us, often painfully, we need to have multiple backup QB's ready to step up when called upon to lead us to victory. Think of the 2014 Tech game (or 2011), the last half of 2015 & 2016 seasons, and last year.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
boognish_bear
I wonder how important the QB being a good runner is to Grimes RVO
Shakesbear
boognish_bear said:

I would think it would be an integral part of making everything else work
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
Wichitabear
boognish_bear said:

I thought I read on premium that he wanted a running QB. hmmmm
Ewalker80
Wichitabear said:

boognish_bear said:

I thought I read on premium that he wanted a running QB. hmmmm

Sure everyone would love a qb with all the skills but I don't believe grimes is that dogmatic about any specific skill set. Grimes has some general principles that would be adaptable to different skill sets for qbs. Zach Wilson was just a serviceable runner. I think all the qbs will have a chance to compete for the starting job. Want he wants is reliability and the ability to make big plays however they get it done. That's my understanding anyway.
DanaDane
For his offense to work at BYU, he had to have a QB who is a quick, precise decision maker. It will be the same here. None of the QBs we have on campus has every played enough to display that characteristic. Zeno and Gerry have played minimal minutes, and Shapen hasn't even scratched the surface. That's why it will be an interesting battle in the Spring and one that might lead to Grimes bringing in a grad transfer if he doesn't see that any of the 3 can display that skill at this point.
guadalupeoso
Yea, I'm not sure if a grad transfer is a good idea or not. However, I also am not sure we have all of the talent that you think we do. I definitely wouldn't want fewer than 3 scholarship qb's on the roster, purely from a depth standpoint (see 2016). However, I am not sold that we have a qb room stacked with talent, as many fans on this board believe. That does not mean I don't think our qb's aren't talented enough to get the job done, I just don't see anyone in that room that is not irreplaceable from a talent standpoint or whose loss would be a crushing blow to the team.
Yogi
RG3 was just released by the Ravens. I think he had one year of eligibility left.

Wouldn't Grimes love that?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
boognish_bear
Joel Klatt groupie
Wouldn't surprise me to see Grimes land a high ceiling, in-state HS senior via PWO: a late-riser overlooked due to COVID restrictions (i.e., no Rivals camps, no spring ball, no summer camps, no coaches attending games). Such QBs are deemed 'higher risk' since QB is a position that demands a hands-on evaluation.

BYU just took one as their only QB this class, and Campbell at Iowa State has decided to go that route. In Baylor's case, with Drones long ago committed and now signed, a QB like that would be found money for Bell.

The QB room might blow-up on coaches if they bring-in a portal transfer after spring ball; will be interesting to learn how Grimes views the room.
BaylorRocks
RustyShack said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see Grimes land a high ceiling, in-state HS senior via PWO: a late-riser overlooked due to COVID restrictions (i.e., no Rivals camps, no spring ball, no summer camps, no coaches attending games). Such QBs are deemed 'higher risk' since QB is a position that demands a hands-on evaluation.

BYU just took one as their only QB this class, and Campbell at Iowa State has decided to go that route. In Baylor's case, with Drones long ago committed and now signed, a QB like that would be found money for Bell.

The QB room might blow-up on coaches if they bring-in a portal transfer after spring ball; will be interesting to learn how Grimes views the room.
Hi Coach Grimes, welcome to the forums. And, Welcome to Baylor !

Sic'em
Ewalker80
RustyShack said:

Nailed it
bear2be2
Ewalker80 said:

What's interesting is that the four quarterbacks seem to have very different skill sets. Gerry is the biggest and toughest to bring down. Also has a big arm but it's unproven if he can be accurate and make good decisions. Jacob has a huge arm and exudes confidence. Drones is kind of a mix of those two. He is a strong runner with a strong arm and very confident but not as polished as Zeno and not as big as Gerry. Shapen is a fluid athlete that is elusive and with a pretty good arm but not that tall or big. Shapen has kind of a Florence vibe to me but with maybe a little stronger arm and a little more speed. Will be very interesting to see how the depth chart emerges but I suspect we see several of these guys during the season because it is very difficult to see how these differenr skill sets will work best until live games.
If Shapen's a pro prospect as a shortstop, I'd imagine he has a significantly better arm than Florence.
perrynative
Tyler Shough, Oregon 2020 starter has entered the portal. Grad with three years eligibility left and prior 4 star.
EasyE
The lack of playing time Bohannon and Zeno received last season raised a lot of eyebrows for sure and certainly suggested that the offensive staff had little faith that they would be able to produce. It will be interesting to see if that continues to be the case with the new staff.
EasyE
RustyShack said:

They DID land a state champion PWO QB with good measurables and potential in CJ Rogers.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.