Football
Sponsored by

RG3 released by Ravens

13,557 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aliceinbubbleland
ImwithBU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Timbear said:

I thought he would go to Law School after football.

Takes a lot for a person to return back to school at his age. He's not doing it. He still thinks he can play and by the time he's finish he will well into a normal life with his wife and kids. They own you in professional school
Green&GoldStandard
ImwithBU said:

Timbear said:

Takes a lot for a person to return back to school at his age. He's not doing it. He still thinks he can play and by the time he's finish he will well into a normal life with his wife and kids. They own you in professional school

Mark Addicks is an example of a Baylor Bear that returned to school after the NFL. Mark was/is successful in football and medicine. I would hope Griffin follows in Addicks' footsteps.
BaylorRocks
ImwithBU said:

Timbear said:

Sic'em
Stefano DiMera
I know you guys think its cute to pile on him because of his Twitter game. His Bible quotes..his married life..and his social stances..but hes always been a great Baylor ambassador and the foundation of what this program has become

Do better.
Mitch Henessey
I'm sure everyone on this board is on their first and only marriage as well. The way we eat our own around here is sickening.
cleareyesfullhearts
Who the fk are you? Lol you must be a miserable human being.
cleareyesfullhearts
Mitch Henessey said:

I'm sure everyone on this board is on their first and only marriage as well. The way we eat our own around here is sickening.

It's ridiculous. They can all fk off. Baylor can be a miserable place sometimes. I don't know what it is about the school but it attracts fktards like this.
Stefano DiMera
I guess we embarrassed him enough he edited his post about RG3..absolutely no reason for a Baylor fan to criticize that guy..same thing i posted a few weeks ago about people criticizing Collin Aldred on here..you can hate his politics but a great spokesman for BU we should be proud of

A few not so closet racists on this board.
BearFan33
tallman1 said:

You either didn't understand my comment and question to you or you chose not to acknowledge what I was saying or address what I was asking. Again, you don't have to be oppressed to speak up and stand up for those who are oppressed (again your choice of word, not mine). If those who have the prosperity, popularity, power, & platform don't do it, who will? The stance that "if you are successful & rich, then you have no right to speak out on the issues like systematic racism, discrimination, and being targeted" is a pretty weak & lazy argument in my opinion. You do know that a lot of these successful people that made it still have in some form experienced those things, have family members, friends, or just want to do something to better this world (it's their choice how they choose to contribute or not). The days of be quiet and dribble, be quiet and pass/catch/run are a thing of the past. Again, why is it a bad thing??
Personally I watch football, movies and the such to be entertained. That's it. When there is kneeling and the such and movies are permeated with social justice messages it takes away the entertainment value for me. With that said if RG3 or anyone for that matter wants to tweet things and share his feelings on the matter when interviewed (without the uniform on), more power to him. I don't find social justice messages (or political discussions) offensive, I just don't want them mixed with everything in life.
BearFan33
BearFan33 said:

tallman1 said:

You either didn't understand my comment and question to you or you chose not to acknowledge what I was saying or address what I was asking. Again, you don't have to be oppressed to speak up and stand up for those who are oppressed (again your choice of word, not mine). If those who have the prosperity, popularity, power, & platform don't do it, who will? The stance that "if you are successful & rich, then you have no right to speak out on the issues like systematic racism, discrimination, and being targeted" is a pretty weak & lazy argument in my opinion. You do know that a lot of these successful people that made it still have in some form experienced those things, have family members, friends, or just want to do something to better this world (it's their choice how they choose to contribute or not). The days of be quiet and dribble, be quiet and pass/catch/run are a thing of the past. Again, why is it a bad thing??
Personally I watch football, movies and the such to be entertained. That's it. When there is kneeling and the such and movies are permeated with social justice messages it takes away the entertainment value for me. With that said if RG3 or anyone for that matter wants to tweet things and share his feelings on the matter when interviewed (without the uniform on), more power to him. I don't find social justice messages (or political discussions) offensive, I just don't want them mixed with everything in life.
Oh and I hope RG3 lands in a nice place
Texasjeremy
Jorkel said:

Jack Bauer said:

Jorkel said:

CaliByWayOfKS said:

Assuming he's a cheap priced backup due to his realistic value, I'd be interested to see him under Andy Reid backing up Mahomes.

He is pretty cheap.. I think he has been getting paid like 1-2 mill a year
$2M this year.

Some guys can live like kings as long term NFL backups if their ego is ok with it.

Chase Daniels ..greatest to ever do it.

Yep.

CAREER EARNINGS / CAREER STATS

CHASE DANIEL ($37.8M)
12 seasons: 5 starts, 178-261 (68.2%), 1694 yards, 8 TD, 7 INT

COLT MCCOY ($19.2M)
11 seasons: 30 starts, 600-989 (60.7%), 6455 yards, 30 TD, 28 INT

LUKE MCCOWN ($17.2M)
14 seasons: 10 starts, 216-356 (60.7%), 2370 yards, 9 TD, 15 INT

A.J. MCCARRON ($14.4M)
7 seasons: 4 starts, 109-174 (62.6%), 1173 yards, 6 TD, 3 INT
BayouCity
Texasjeremy said:

Jorkel said:

Jack Bauer said:

Jorkel said:

CaliByWayOfKS said:

Assuming he's a cheap priced backup due to his realistic value, I'd be interested to see him under Andy Reid backing up Mahomes.

$2M this year.

Some guys can live like kings as long term NFL backups if their ego is ok with it.

Yep.

CHASE DANIEL ($37.8M)

COLT MCCOY ($19.2M)

LUKE MCCOWN ($17.2M)

A.J. MCCARRON ($14.4M)

Not to mention that the pension for a 10+ year NFL veteran is north of $700k/year.
tallman1
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond when you certainly didn't have to. I think when we articulate our point of view instead of attacking or condemning someone's actions or views, it helps us understand appreciate each other. It goes a long way in removing the stigma that if you disagree with the way these athletes are speaking out and expressing their disgust for what's going on, you are "racist" and I know that's not always the case but a lot of folks don't. I respect your point of view and I wish you the best.
Yogi
Do we have a spot on our coaching staff? He's already got a locker reserved...

His record may be too clean for Jerry Jones, but it's not like the Cowboys have a reliable stable of QB's.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
TxRainMkr
Some of Briles players have built up some resentment to Baylor because of how their coaches were treated during the scandal. RG3 has outwardly supported Baylor through every coaching staff, and always been willing to give back. We should remain thankful to RG3.
muddybrazos
BayouCity said:

Texasjeremy said:

Jorkel said:

Jack Bauer said:

Jorkel said:

CaliByWayOfKS said:

$2M this year.

Yep.

CHASE DANIEL ($37.8M)

COLT MCCOY ($19.2M)

LUKE MCCOWN ($17.2M)

A.J. MCCARRON ($14.4M)

Not to mention that the pension for a 10+ year NFL veteran is north of $700k/year.
not to nitpick but the pension is not that much. I have a buddy who was a pro bowler and in the league for awhile. I think he gets like 6k/month and medical reimbursements. You have to be in the league 3 years now to get the pension then if you are in longer it goes some.
Chamberman
muddybrazos said:

not to nitpick but the pension is not that much. I have a buddy who was a pro bowler and in the league for awhile. I think he gets like 6k/month and medical reimbursements. You have to be in the league 3 years now to get the pension then if you are in longer it goes some.

ImwithBU
BearFan33 said:

tallman1 said:

You can protest just don't do it where it's obvious. GTFOH. If you don't like it then don't watch, no one give a flying flip if it's not where and when you want them to speak up.
Green&GoldStandard
ImwithBU said:

BearFan33 said:

tallman1 said:

You can protest just don't do it where it's obvious. GTFOH. If you don't like it then don't watch, no one give a flying flip if it's not where and when you want them to speak up.

And some people (very few though) wonder why ESPN has been bleeding money for years.
BearFan33
ImwithBU said:

BearFan33 said:

tallman1 said:

I realize its fashionable to gametime protest these days, but I see it as a slippery slope and a distraction from the event. Today's BLM will be something else tomorrow. Where do you draw the line as to what someone can do during their protest? Ok kneel during the national anthem. What happens next when that is not enough?

As I said before this is how it is for me and its ok if it is different for you. I simply tune in to see what these tremendous athletes can do on the field of play in the execution of sport. For me it's an escape to be entertained and be taken away from the problems of the world, at least for just a little while.

I admire RG3 and follow him on Twitter along with 2 million people. I would hope he could respect my point of view, even if he doesn't agree with it.
Mitch Henessey
BearFan33 said:

ImwithBU said:

BearFan33 said:

tallman1 said:

I realize its fashionable to gametime protest these days, but I see it as a slippery slope and a distraction from the event. Today's BLM will be something else tomorrow. Where do you draw the line as to what someone can do during their protest? Ok kneel during the national anthem. What happens next when that is not enough?

As I said before this is how it is for me and its ok if it is different for you. I simply tune in to see what these tremendous athletes can do on the field of play in the execution of sport. For me it's an escape to be entertained and be taken away from the problems of the world, at least for just a little while.

I admire RG3 and follow him on Twitter along with 2 million people. I would hope he could respect my point of view, even if he doesn't agree with it.
While I can respect your position, and you've articulated it well, expecting these athletes to just shut up and entertain you is very dehumanizing. They're more than entitled to use their platform to draw attention to the causes they feel passionate about.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I see a similar sentiment on these boards quite often. The "I watch sports to escape from all this stuff and I shouldn't be subjected to it here. They can protest on their own time." However, that completely ignores the point of the peaceful protest. The point is to disrupt the status quo. To make you uncomfortable. To draw attention to something that you could otherwise brush aside. It also is exactly how Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. went about staging his peaceful protests. Here's an excerpt from "Letter from a Birmingham City Jail:"

Quote:

You deplore the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. But your statement, I am sorry to say, fails to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations. I am sure that none of you would want to rest content with the superficial kind of social analysis that deals merely with effects and does not grapple with underlying causes. It is unfortunate that demonstrations are taking place in Birmingham, but it is even more unfortunate that the city's white power structure left the Negro community with no alternative.

In any nonviolent campaign there are four basic steps: collection of the facts to determine whether injustices exist; negotiation; self purification; and direct action[...]

[...]We decided to schedule our direct action program for the Easter season, realizing that except for Christmas, this is the main shopping period of the year. Knowing that a strong economic-withdrawal program would be the by product of direct action, we felt that this would be the best time to bring pressure to bear on the merchants for the needed change[...]

[...]You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth.

(You can read the letter in its entirety here: https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html )

You can't consider MLK an inspirational leader, American hero, and great man and then turn around and tell these athletes to stick to sports. The hypocrisy is too large. What they're doing is taking a page directly out of the MLK playbook.

The same rationalization applies when I hear people say things like "I think Jesus was a great teacher." Well, then, you weren't listening very closely to what he had to say. Because if you were, you'd believe one of two things: he's either the Messiah, or he's a lunatic. There's not really much room in his words to settle somewhere in between.

In the same way, you can't with one breath praise MLK and then, with the next breath say that athletes shouldn't protest when you're just trying to watch a game.

Bearly
Well said Mitch.

If you've never read King's Birmingham Jail, I encourage you to do so.
BearFan33
Well said Mitch and certainly a better argument than yelling GTFOH.

I sent you a PM Mitch.
Mitch Henessey
BearFan33 said:

Well said Mitch and certainly a better argument than yelling GTFOH.

I sent you a PM Mitch.
Thanks for this, and the PM. It's nice to be able to have civil discourse, even if we disagree on some of the finer points.
boognish_bear
More time for fishing

robby44
Nice
curtpenn
Stefano DiMera said:

I guess we embarrassed him enough he edited his post about RG3..absolutely no reason for a Baylor fan to criticize that guy..same thing i posted a few weeks ago about people criticizing Collin Aldred on here..you can hate his politics but a great spokesman for BU we should be proud of

A few not so closet racists on this board.

I was with you until you brought up race.
curtpenn
Mitch Henessey said:

BearFan33 said:

ImwithBU said:

BearFan33 said:

tallman1 said:

While I can respect your position, and you've articulated it well, expecting these athletes to just shut up and entertain you is very dehumanizing. They're more than entitled to use their platform to draw attention to the causes they feel passionate about.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I see a similar sentiment on these boards quite often. The "I watch sports to escape from all this stuff and I shouldn't be subjected to it here. They can protest on their own time." However, that completely ignores the point of the peaceful protest. The point is to disrupt the status quo. To make you uncomfortable. To draw attention to something that you could otherwise brush aside. It also is exactly how Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. went about staging his peaceful protests. Here's an excerpt from "Letter from a Birmingham City Jail:"

Quote:

You deplore the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. But your statement, I am sorry to say, fails to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations. I am sure that none of you would want to rest content with the superficial kind of social analysis that deals merely with effects and does not grapple with underlying causes. It is unfortunate that demonstrations are taking place in Birmingham, but it is even more unfortunate that the city's white power structure left the Negro community with no alternative.

In any nonviolent campaign there are four basic steps: collection of the facts to determine whether injustices exist; negotiation; self purification; and direct action[...]

[...]We decided to schedule our direct action program for the Easter season, realizing that except for Christmas, this is the main shopping period of the year. Knowing that a strong economic-withdrawal program would be the by product of direct action, we felt that this would be the best time to bring pressure to bear on the merchants for the needed change[...]

[...]You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth.

(You can read the letter in its entirety here: https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html )

You can't consider MLK an inspirational leader, American hero, and great man and then turn around and tell these athletes to stick to sports. The hypocrisy is too large. What they're doing is taking a page directly out of the MLK playbook.

The same rationalization applies when I hear people say things like "I think Jesus was a great teacher." Well, then, you weren't listening very closely to what he had to say. Because if you were, you'd believe one of two things: he's either the Messiah, or he's a lunatic. There's not really much room in his words to settle somewhere in between.

In the same way, you can't with one breath praise MLK and then, with the next breath say that athletes shouldn't protest when you're just trying to watch a game.

Don't disagree with anything you've said, but will be interested to see how things play out. I've certainly watched much less professional sports over the last year than probably at any time in my adult life and I'm trending even lower. Yes, I watch to be diverted/entertained. Whatever legitimacy the protests have is unimportant to me and lowers the entertainment value of my experience. To the extent the entertainers loose their audience, their platform is diminished and their subsequent influence is reduced. They are damaging the only thing that gives them any influence. Ironic.
Media Bear
boognish_bear said:

More time for fishing

boognish_bear
jdrs
His interview on Sic'Em365 radio today was great. The way he spoke about Baylor winning the Heisman and not just about him winning it was impressive. (I am paraphrasing). He talked about his relationship with CSD and how CSD wanted him to play basketball after fb. (I even think he said CSD recruited him in high school to play bb for us.) He hopes to return to Baylor to run QB camps in the summer. Glad to listen to him. He is a great ambassador for Baylor. Used a lot of "we" when talking about Baylor showed he values being part of Baylor.
Chamberman
jdrs said:

Used a lot of "we" when talking about Baylor showed he values being apart.

I think you mean "being a part" vs. "being apart".

Huge difference.
jdrs
Fixed what I meant
Moondoggie
BYE said:

He's now a full time SJW and Woke spokes person, too busy for football. We all know how oppressed his life has been, especially by white women.

Oh no! Not a College educated, millionaire black professional with WHITE WOMEN?!?

I shudder....

Honestly, brother I sure wish you would consider deleting your post. You are embarrassing yourself and the racist ******s who starred your post, or go back to the fifties.,
ImwithBU
Ivy_Twin said:

BYE said:

He's now a full time SJW and Woke spokes person, too busy for football. We all know how oppressed his life has been, especially by white women.

Oh no! Not a College educated, millionaire black professional with WHITE WOMEN?!?

I shudder....

Honestly, brother I sure wish you would consider deleting your post. You are embarrassing yourself and the racist ******s who starred your post, or go back to the fifties.,

Racist going to racist. Let them show their true colors. Better than hiding behind a hood. Now I know how to interact with you
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.